Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexxia View Post
    In this whole thread noone has questioned the validity of these make believe ideas
    Several people have done that.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtpai View Post
    This is not entirely true, robots that have the engineering and programming to be equal in intelligence or surpass the intelligence of man himself can, indeed, develop emotions. Refer to robots (generally humanoid figures) in numerous movies, and, if you'd rather not do the work of remembering or looking said movies/robots up, please refer to Gnimo, the Mechagnome on the Traveler's Tundra Mammoth ~Alliance Side~. When you kick them off Gnimo, *Ignore the Space Blueberry*, makes an emotional statement on occasion, such as "Nobody love Gnimo...".
    Therefore, robots can indeed develop humanly emotion, which will result in the same chaos that we have today, only possibly worse ~or better~ due to the fact we may have an arsenal of weapons built into our bodies.. Lastly, if none of the above statements work for you, please refer to the movie * I, Robot *. (The one with Will Smith.) Good movie if you ask me.. I enjoyed it.. and Robocop was amusing at times.
    you are wrong. robots theoretically can develop the systems for replicating emotion exactly but we do not have that right now. the fact that gnimo says a preprogrammed sentence when kicked off does not mean his heart is breaking everytime that happens^^
    a human brain is something that not even the best biologists understand properly yet so how you expect them to replicate one in a computer just yet is astounding. all forms of 'emotion' in machines today are the result of pre-programmed reactions to certain effects. not true emotion or even the start of true emotion.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtpai View Post
    This is not entirely true, robots that have the engineering and programming to be equal in intelligence or surpass the intelligence of man himself can, indeed, develop emotions. Refer to robots (generally humanoid figures) in numerous movies, and, if you'd rather not do the work of remembering or looking said movies/robots up, please refer to Gnimo, the Mechagnome on the Traveler's Tundra Mammoth ~Alliance Side~. When you kick them off Gnimo, *Ignore the Space Blueberry*, makes an emotional statement on occasion, such as "Nobody love Gnimo...".
    Therefore, robots can indeed develop humanly emotion, which will result in the same chaos that we have today, only possibly worse ~or better~ due to the fact we may have an arsenal of weapons built into our bodies.. Lastly, if none of the above statements work for you, please refer to the movie * I, Robot *. (The one with Will Smith.) Good movie if you ask me.. I enjoyed it.. and Robocop was amusing at times.
    Intriguing. However, most humans are illogical. In my experience, most, if not all robots are logical. Any conflicts would be able to be solved with reason instead of "OH I DON'T LIKE THIS GUY BLOW IT UP!" (/exaggerate)

    EDIT: Also, with the Gnimo example, keep in mind we're playing a game, which already has enough bizarre concepts as it is.

  4. #44
    No emotions land would be a worse place to live imo.

    Each person would be out for himself in the most Darwinian sense. Without compassion, altruism and empathy it would be down to survival of the fittest. It would be a brutal place to live.

  5. #45
    Dreadlord Spondoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The land of French-rednecks
    Posts
    860
    Becoming a robot is to give up freedom. No thanks. Also there's no such thing as good and evil, its all point of view; the ends always justify the means.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Spondoo View Post
    Becoming a robot is to give up freedom. No thanks. Also there's no such thing as good and evil, its all point of view; the ends always justify the means.
    Was the Holocaust not evil? Was exterminating over 6 million people based solely on their beliefs not evil?

  7. #47
    Herald of the Titans kailtas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,959
    Humans are the only creatures on the planet that kills for joy/excitement.

    All other creatures have a more or less rational reason for taking lives.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

    - Prince Malchezaar

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    Humans are the only creatures on the planet that kills for joy/excitement.

    All other creatures have a more or less rational reason for taking lives.
    No no no no no no no no no


    Also: no

  9. #49
    LoL... I bet you hated killing those Mechagnomes... :P

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowkiller97 View Post
    LoL... I bet you hated killing those Mechagnomes... :P
    They were gnomes. I enjoyed smashing their face in.

    /contradict beliefs

  11. #51
    Titan DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    14,994
    I'm going to take an educated guess and say that a moderator is watching this thread very very VERY closely.

    While I agree that negative human emotions are bad, eliminating emotions would also eliminate perfectly good ones, like love, compassion, and happiness.

  12. #52
    And what makes you think being free of emotion makes everyone get along? All wars have been fought for territories and resources, both which are limited whether we have emotions or not. If you so much want to become a robot, read about the experiment where robots evolved to lie to eachother, to kill off competition.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by M_10 View Post
    Was the Holocaust not evil? Was exterminating over 6 million people based solely on their beliefs not evil?

    Was it evil in the eyes of those committing the crimes(nazis)? Evil is all a point of view, based on your mindset and your own beliefs. While i like to think that the ultimate system of judgment would be to base everything on the good and happiness of humanity (which would in turn, make the holocaust extremely evil). Evil is still subjective

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by M_10 View Post
    Would life not be better if most forms of suffering were eliminated?
    and life would be better (for the consumer at least) if WoW were free but now you're arguing a whole different point. If there were endless supplies of food then alot of problems would be solved but we are born into a world of limited resources.

    The main point you have not grasped is that life is a struggle no matter which way you slice it. This is what makes life worth living. Gambling is no fun if you don't have the chance at losing. Video games aren't fun if you always play on easy with all the cheat codes on. Some of the most beautiful art has come from a source of pain.

    The fact that we have free will does allow things such as WWII to happen but the challenge is to evolve past the reasons we fight. Unfortunately when you have a population on a great scale things such as famine, disease, and war are inevitable. They are the natural order of a culling of a population.

    Will there one day be a society free of emotion? I can't say for sure but my money is on emotion staying with the humans.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    *1984 warning flares up*
    1984 was about a very evil, over controlling government that (to sum it up broadly). Im pretty sure it didn't have much to do with ridding humans of emotions. If it did it definitely wasn't to create peace. Lol.
    Last edited by Rayzan; 2011-02-12 at 06:25 PM.

    I am Warlock - Play Free Online Games

    99.99% of my posts are done via iPhone. Expect typos as it likes to change my words and doesn't pick up on MMO lingo very well.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I'm going to take an educated guess and say that a moderator is watching this thread very very VERY closely.

    While I agree that negative human emotions are bad, eliminating emotions would also eliminate perfectly good ones, like love, compassion, and happiness.
    True, you can't eliminate the bad without eliminating the good. Is that a price you would be willing to pay?

  17. #57
    Would life not be better if most forms of suffering were eliminated?
    If we eliminated life, there would be no suffering. Why not eliminate all life?
    All the world's a stage,
    And all the men and women merely players.

  18. #58
    Elemental Lord Combatbulter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hanseatic City of Lübeck
    Posts
    8,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    The suppression of the individual in order for the society to become 'better' is evil in my eyes. Basically you'd eliminate conflict through the ultimate desacration of life and what makes us human.
    This so much, without our emotion we are simply walking shells
    He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by M_10 View Post
    Would life not be better if most forms of suffering were eliminated?
    To eliminate all forms of suffering would be to rend everyone emotionless. If everyone is emotionless then life would not be "better" for anyone, since the feeling of feeling something good/better would be rid from all humans
    Last edited by trebor; 2011-02-12 at 06:33 PM.
    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it

  20. #60
    Woman are the root of all evil!


    No but seriously, without religion and greed, the world would be a happier place.
    Last edited by Dethric; 2011-02-12 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Is, are, damn grammar

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •