Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thrall's Balls

We do not need another tankclass, we need more people playing a tankclass (or 6mans dungeons so that there is one extra dps spot).

Deleted
    To those saying 'people don't tank because they don want to, not because of the classes.' I'd have to disagree, if my warlock could tank it would at least be my offspec, possibly main depending on how it was done. The reason I play a warlock is because I find that class fun and like the style of it. I can never see myself playing a pally or warrior as they just seem dull to me, I hate the concept of Druidism and while I may one day be tempted to make a DK alt, I would have much rather they made frost the tanking tree.

That said, if the made warlock tanks I wouldn't want it to be at the expense of the existing trees, so they'd have to do a feral-type thing and I'm fairly sure they don't like that.

@polarwiseman Yes maybe there shall be some more tanks, although that is maybe just 1% more with thhe difference that it cost Blizz a lot time to make and balance it. Another thing, they never going to do this because there are enough tankclasses. If they make a new one, then it play exactly the same as any other tankclass. You shall not like it more than one of the other tank classes for the simple reason that they cannot bring something new, then it is just the same as the other tankclasses with exactly the same abilities (as locks use mana it shall be exactly the same as a paly tank) but with different names, that is all. If you want a tankclass compared to a possible lock tank class, start a paly

Deleted
    I sutmbled upon a warlock tank back in vanilla in an ubrs pug. I joined as a bear tank, felt pretty wierd being told to go dps instead by a warlock.

Don't think we'll see warlocks tanking more than the occasional caster that we've seen in the past. Twink emps, leotheras, the caster on kael etc. If warlocks were to tank in the future, they'd have to stand in melee range versus most bosses like all other tanks, which would esentially make them another melee tank, with the ability to attack from range.

Deleted
    i've seen a demo lock let her fel hunter tank Foe reaper in HC after the tank died... worked pretty well

Maybe a New concept IN your head.

Having had warlocks tank one of the twin emperors tank Sartherion (with pet) and other simular encounters i would not call it a new concept in wow.

Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    There's no need for another tanking class.
    Just look at the dungeon queue times. There definately is a giant need for more tanks. The easiest way by far to get more people to tank is to make it possible for more people to tank, e.g. let more classes do it. Shamans are the obvious first choice but a Warlock (maybe some passive buff that reduces damage taken while casting?) are also an option.

Every time I see a thread that suggests Enhance Shaman tanking, I gizz in my pants. That would be epic.

I used to be a tank class. I tanked 5-mans every day. But I discovered I enjoy doing ranged DPS in raids more, so I chose fun over /df convenience. I would offspec a tank spec if I could, but I can't. I have to imagine there's a significant amount of players like this. The only class like this is Druids, and I personally hate looking like a bear or lazor chicken.

tldr: give a tank tree to a caster class; existing or the next Hero Class

Quote Originally Posted by MegaVolti View Post
    Just look at the dungeon queue times. There definately is a giant need for more tanks.
    People don't LIKE to tank, it doesn't matter how many more tanking classes or specs you throw ingame, as long as people dislike tanking (because you ACTUALLY have to use some brain capacity while tanking now, compared to wotlk) the queues will remain the same.

Also, a ranged tank will not happen. Way to many balancing issues and kiting options for a ranged tank.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnan View Post
    (because you ACTUALLY have to use some brain capacity while tanking now, compared to wotlk)
    I hate to shatter your tank-infused ego, but as someone who has three level 85 tanks(Warrior/Paladin/DK) and an 85 Hunter and Holy Priest who raids on the DK, Hunter and Priest, tanking is by far the easiest of all three roles in this expansion. In fact, it is so easy it is actually boring which is why I only tank because one of our ten man alt teams is short a tank. 99% of tanking boss fights in this expansion is standing in one spot and taunt swapping when debuffs are applied same as WotLK, and five man dungeons are already an AoE fest if the tank is in at least heroic(346) gear.

---------- Post added 2011-02-13 at 01:53 PM ----------

And as for the original topic, this is hardly a new concept. Some people have been saying Demon Form should be a permanent buff with a threat modifier to make Demonology a tanking spec since the form was introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    I hate to shatter your tank-infused ego
    For you to shatter something, there would have to be something to shatter in the first place. I've stopped playing weeks ago and when I still played my main was a fury warrior. Before boasting yourself by letting us know you have several lvl 85 chars, you might want to take into consideration that not everyone is overgeared for heroics or runs with guild groups.

I'd love to see anyone AoE the first packs of heroic Stonecore when they just got high enough ilvl to enter heroics. (and alot of people even use PvP gear to boost their avarage level, so the actual PvE gear will be lower) Now compare that to green/blue geared tanks that could easily AoE tank heroics the moment they dinged 80, and in some occasions even hold aggro vs ICC geared raiders.

You saying that tanking is the easiest out of the three roles right now (those are your words by the way, not mine) doesn't disregard what I said at all. Tanking in Woltk was an AoE-fest from the moment you dinged 15 and started using the LFD tool. Right now, in some instances, you have to use CC and pick targets more carefully if you are not fully decked out in epics yet. (first pack of heroic VP anyone?)
    Last edited by Arachnan; 2011-02-13 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    This isn;t 100% true. I for one like tanking on my classes that can but my true love will balways be for enh shammies thus if i could tank as an enh shammie i would and we'd have at least 1 more 85 tank in existence not much but if even 1 person would do it more would as well. Just thought i'd point this out.
    This. I used to off-tank back in "classic" WoW with my shaman and I absolutely loved it. My main has always been a feral druid but I've never really loved to tank with him, I'm more for dps. But I had so much fun with my shaman tanking... I tried to tank in BC with him, but it was.. well, pointless. I would love to be able to tank as shaman, and to dps as 2H. I have levelled my shaman to max level each expansion but never enjoyed/played him much because I don't like to DW.

On topic: from a caster point of view, Warlocks are nonetheless the best class for tanking, (Demonology of course), but they would need to change a LOT of things to make it viable. I don't know if would play it, but it opens a new tanking style and it could be interesting.
    Last edited by Sylar Hao; 2011-02-13 at 02:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People don't LIKE to tank, it doesn't matter how many more tanking classes or specs you throw ingame, as long as people dislike tanking (because you ACTUALLY have to use some brain capacity while tanking now, compared to wotlk) the queues will remain the same.

Also, a ranged tank will not happen. Way to many balancing issues and kiting options for a ranged tank.
    I like tanking my alts that can DO tank. If my mian an enh shammie could he'd be a tank as well. Some do like to tank but don;t because it doesn't match our style in our the sense of our preffered class.
    Last edited by Sorrior; 2011-02-13 at 02:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn;t 100% true. I for one like tanking on my classes that can but my true love will balways be for enh shammies thus if i could tank as an enh shammie i would and we'd have at least 1 more 85 tank in existence not much but if even 1 person would do it more would as well. Just thought i'd point this out.
    So you already tank, and if they made another class available for tanking you would? so how would that make "another person being a tank" if you went from 1 tank class to another?

In like tanking my alts that can DO tank. If my mian an enh shammie could he'd be atank as well. Some do like to tank but don;t because it doesn't match our style in our the sense of our preffered class.
    While this is true, this is also the reason why there are different classes who can have different roles. If every class would have a tanking tree, dps tree and healing tree, the game would be boring as hell.

People really wanting to tank will reroll to one of the four tanking classes available to them. And by wanting to tank I mean maining as a tank, not just tanking a heroic once in a blue moon as offspec.

10+ Year Old Account
    While this is true, this is also the reason why there are different classes who can have different roles. If every class would have a tanking tree, dps tree and healing tree, the game would be boring as hell.

People really wanting to tank will reroll to one of the four tanking classes available to them. And by wanting to tank I mean maining as a tank, not just tanking a heroic once in a blue moon as offspec.
    Yes this isn indeed true but in the case of my mians class it WAS intended fopr us to have atank spec in vanilla and removed in bc/wrath. BIG difference from expecting an entirely unrelated class to tanking to do it. I for one wouldn't want all classes to be able to tank and heal but some classes/specs have been nerfed in that area see enh shammies unholy DK and frost DKs all were meant to have tanking powers but had them removed over time.
    't

Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    There's no need for another tanking class.
    The lack of tanks isn't because there's not enough tanking classes. The lack of tanks is because there's too few people who want to tank, simple as that.

The only thing blizz could potentially do to get more tanks in the game is to use more tanks in 25man raids, but there's quite a low limit on how many tanks you could reasonably design around without making it a complete mess.
    So short are our memories, forgetting that a warlock was a perfectly viable tank for the ranged prince in Blood Prince Council. ):

this been suggested million of times on wow forums.. the answer is no, not gonna happen!
    BETA CLUB

I for one wouldn't want all classes to be able to tank and heal but some classes/specs have been nerfed in that area see enh shammies unholy DK and frost DKs all were meant to have tanking powers but had them removed over time.
    't
    I don't recall much from vanilla, seeing I was just an innervate bot for the "real" healers (priests) back then, but the only class that could succesfully tank was a warrior. Later on, when AQ came out, druids and paladins carefully began to tank bosses aswell. Altough mainly as offtanks.

Enhancement shamans were never classed as a tank, they just had a threat modifier on earth shock and rockbiter weapon. No defensive cooldowns, no plate or armor modifiers, no taunts, etc. There was just talk about them being ABLE to tank, just like a shadowpriest tanked Onyxia and a warlock tanking Anub'Arak.

Deathknights are a bit of a different story, because of the three presences they have. The changes to deathknights were "needed" as no tree had a clear direction of what it should be doing. All three could tank and dps, seeing the main thing that made it tanky was frost presence. And the main tanking spec used in progression raiding was blood anyways near the end of wotlk, gimmick fights aside.