Thread: New Mobo

10+ Year Old Account

New Mobo

I'm looking to upgrade from my Asrock M3A785GMH/128M as it currently only has one PCI Express 2.0 x16 and i'm looking into using SLI. I am currently using a AMD Phenom II x4 945 processor. If I'm not mistaken my options are pretty limited for an AMD/SLI mobo. I was just looking for some advice on which mobo to opt for or whether I should not bother with an AMD/Nvidia combination.

Thanks in advance

Deleted
    i dont know about any AMD mobos of the current generation that do SLI, that said i would stay away from any multi videocard setup, be it SLI or crossfire, for the money you spend on 2 video cards simply spend it on a single card, less issues overall, and you save money on keeping the current mobo. for the choice of videocard we will gladly help you out

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Visker View Post
    i dont know about any AMD mobos of the current generation that do SLI, that said i would stay away from any multi videocard setup, be it SLI or crossfire, for the money you spend on 2 video cards simply spend it on a single card, less issues overall, and you save money on keeping the current mobo. for the choice of videocard we will gladly help you out
    Another question entirely do i need an SLI mobo if i am just using 1 as a main and another as a dedicated PhysX or do i just need a mobo with two PCI Express 2.0 x16 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackspur View Post
    Another question entirely do i need an SLI mobo if i am just using 1 as a main and another as a dedicated PhysX or do i just need a mobo with two PCI Express 2.0 x16 ?
    No, phsyx will work on an AMD chipset as it's not in the chip set, it's in the drivers.

10+ Year Old Account
    for the choice of videocard we will gladly help you out
    I currently have a GTX260 and i am pretty much decided on a GTX 560 Ti TWIN FROZR II, with what you have said about the mobo's i will probably just keep my current or purchase another one with 2x PCI Express 2.0 x16 just so my old card doesn't go to waste.

Deleted
    physx is a waste... sell the 260

10+ Year Old Account
    physx is a waste... sell the 260
    Im not disputing your answer, but what is bad about Physx?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackspur View Post
    Im not disputing your answer, but what is bad about Physx?
    Nothing bad, but there's like 2 games on the market that require enough computing power to actually justify using a dedicated PhysX card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks very much for the advice and answers im going to hold off on a new mobo until I actually need one and just sell my olf GTX260 and purchase the 560 Ti.