Thread: AmD vs Intel

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

AmD vs Intel

Been contemplating a second build recently. Currently running and i5 760. And I started looking into parts I had a little advice from a few different people. One Seems to be an intel fan boy and the other and AMD fan boy. I have done a ton of research and seen every aspect of both sides and I still cant make a decision. If I built another comp I would either go with another 760 or and PHII 695. What I want is a non biased opinion from someone who has seem both intel and amd in action. All I do is game and overclocking is not a problem for me. Any opinions would be cool great. On a side note I know sandy bridge is suppose to release soon but I cant seem to find a date when and I don't really want to wait a few months.
    Last edited by Zuko65; 2011-02-13 at 06:01 PM.

Feb 14th is when Sandy comes out of the closet

Word, what are the mobos gonna run in price do you know?
    Last edited by Zuko65; 2011-02-13 at 05:50 PM.

Honestly, you should rename your title. Naming it AMD vs Intel is a flamewar about to happen.

What's your budget? What will you use it for? As it's a secondary build, I'd go with a Phenom II x4 965.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuko65 View Post
    Where did you read that? everything I see says April =(
    http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/134...en-14-februari

bi-est
    Yep.

10 characters.

What I want is a non bi-est opinion
    biased*

As far as I'm concerned, any company that would kill Project Offset hasn't enough good sense to make solid business decisions. AMD all the way.
    Enforce proper spelling and grammar!

Well I don't really know my budget kinda spur the moment thing. Its going to become my main comp and this one will become my secondary comp.
    Like I said I mostly just game and web surf.

I think I remember hearing the Sandy Bridge chips developed a fault when used with SATA systems. Not gonna go through it but this might be of use when making a decision. I've always rolled with Intel personally. I find AMD just don't give the same performance.

Yeah but they are suppose to be fixing the SATA problem and then re-releasing them. if it is true that they are coming back onto the market tomorrow I would look into that. but that depends on the price of the mobos. otherwise AmD is looking like a better options.

Yeah but they are suppose to be fixing the SATA problem and then re-releasing them. if it is true that they are coming back onto the market tomorrow I would look into that. but that depends on the price of the mobos. otherwise AmD is looking like a better options.
    As far as i'm aware the problem is a confined issue and most buyers won't be affected even by faulty chips, but as i said, read the website for a rundown. I've always seen AMD as just economy processors. Depending on budget choose accordingly, if you can afford it, Intel will provide a better option.

maybe you should learn how to spell AMD right

Quote Originally Posted by Jurio View Post
    maybe you should learn how to spell AMD right
    You might want to rethink that.

Edit: Coolies, an infraction for gently trying to make our community smarter. There's no possible way that could be counterproductive.
    Last edited by EllipsisGH; 2011-02-15 at 08:30 AM.
    Enforce proper spelling and grammar!

lower end i'd say AMD rules heavly and in mid high market intel is better

Deleted
    If you are spending around £150 - £200, grab an i5-2500k. Kinda blows anything else out of the water, in terms of price for performance, unless you are needing to do masses of heavily multithreaded tasks. And the Sandy Bridge problem is the SATA 3Gb/s ports, and even then that isn't the exact problem.

My 2 cents here, get Intel if you are okay with spending more for what you get, the new Sandy bridge processors blow everything away. I went from an overclocked AMD X4 985 Phenom Black Edition, had it overclocked to 4.2Ghz, and the new i7-2600k destroys it without an overclock. The AMD was about half the price though.

The AMD X4's will easily handle anything WOW and other games out today can throw at it, however the Intel is better.

Okay well i don't want to spend more than 950 total. opinions now?

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    As an AMD pundit, I can't even recommend a K10.5 system right now. Either get a 2500K system in a few days, or wait for Bulldozer... which doesn't really have a set date yet.

If you already have an AM3 board lying around with RAM that works on it, thats the only way I would recommend a Phenom II right now.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    As an AMD pundit, I can't even recommend a K10.5 system right now. Either get a 2500K system in a few days, or wait for Bulldozer... which doesn't really have a set date yet.

If you already have an AM3 board lying around with RAM that works on it, thats the only way I would recommend a Phenom II right now.
    Same, I have been mostly a AMD user since the K6, but these days I see no real reason to get a AMD unless you either in a extremely low budget or have and want to keep a compatible mobo.

Intel sandy bridge at the moment. Even the older i5 and i7s better than amd. Amd are fine just if you want the best intel currentley on top.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxemiss View Post
    Feb 14th is when Sandy comes out of the closet
    Please show us your source, every site/article I have read says that the new mobo's etc wont be ready until April.