Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Mechagnome Televators's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, USA/Copenhagen, DK/Rhodes, GR
    Posts
    666
    The Arcade Fire is meh. But I wonder who hipsters will now have a wank to now that TAF will no longer be OG enough for their love and affection.

  2. #22
    Pandaren Monk Xiphan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidal View Post
    Hospice is an album where you can see emotion and thought has been put into it, to me (and many others), its a fairly obvious sign compared to Gaga's works.
    Listening to Wake at the moment; such a brilliant album, I don't think there's a single bad song.

    OT: Congratulations to them, definitely worthy winners given the competition. Not as fond of The Suburbs though as I am of Funeral though.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    They have over 80 million scrobbled tracks on last.fm, placing them as third most scrobbled artist of 2010. They're hardly obscure enough for any hipster to be proud about.

    Also, to people 'knowing' Arcade Fire by listening to a track or two on youtube, give Funeral a listen, from start to end. Then come back here, and tell me it's not good music. (There's a distinct difference between good music and music that appeals to you, mind you.)
    Well said that man. I don't care what is hipster or not. And LOL at the people in this thread who claim they didn't know who the band was yet they are some kind of authority on current music.

    Now watch people try to say TAF is the next U2/Coldplay because they are popular *all of a sudden* (despite them releasing a notably revered work of art called 'Funeral' 7 years ago). The Internet, never fails to bring out the mouth-breathers in high volumes.

    Personally, The suburbs is good but not my fave album of theirs but I was delighted to see them win over some acts such as Katy Perry, whom I find atrocious and the fact she was given a nod for an award in the first place means there are some serious brown envelopes being passed around.

    I was made up for the new talent Grammy going to Esperanza Spalding - that was a huge victory for music over these fabricated pop stars we all need to jettison from the horizon. Well done! You deserve it. Those that know..


  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageissues View Post
    I listened to them preform and then watched them win. I ask myself, "who the fuck are these people, and who's dick did they suck to beat Lady Antebellum, Katy Perry, Eminem, and Lady GaGa?"

    I stand in awe, not because they beat the person I obviously idolize, but because they also beat these other artists with massive fan bases.
    Because the least talented member of Arcade Fire has more musical ability in his little finger than any of those you mentioned. There's a reason they're probably the most critically acclaimed act in popular music since the turn of the millenium.

    The Suburbs is their weakest album, mind, and not my favourite of last year. That would probably be Band of Joy.

    Also, I have to agree with the guy above who laughs at the notion of anybody trying to sound authoritative about modern music without having heard of Arcade Fire.
    Last edited by PaddyMC89; 2011-02-15 at 01:08 AM.

  5. #25
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ann Arbor
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by PaddyMC89 View Post
    Because the least talented member of Arcade Fire has more musical ability in his little finger than any of those you mentioned. There's a reason they're probably the most critically acclaimed act in popular music since the turn of the millenium.
    I don't think you realize what it takes to be a professional musician. Gaga is actually very talented, and I always point people to her acoustic stuff as an example. Just because her songs get played in clubs doesn't mean she doesn't know what she's doing.

  6. #26
    Funny that all the best albums are released by the most profitable record labels who also choose the nominations.

    I'm sure there were better albums that didn't have the corporate backing.

    Glad to see that a Canadian band won though.

  7. #27
    Dreadlord sagan-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Posts
    937
    Not surprising they won as the other nominees were total garbage

    The controversial discussions on the comment sections of their most popular songs on youtube are hilarious
    Last edited by sagan-man; 2011-02-15 at 04:59 AM.
    this is the NNYPD, please step away from the showers

  8. #28
    Banned Rageissues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corvallis, OR
    Posts
    1,552
    Quote Originally Posted by borpo View Post
    I don't think you realize what it takes to be a professional musician. Gaga is actually very talented, and I always point people to her acoustic stuff as an example. Just because her songs get played in clubs doesn't mean she doesn't know what she's doing.
    Couldn't agree more. People hear Poker Face and Bad Romance and think they know GaGa.

    I'm gonna do something I've never done before and agree that perhaps I don't know all that this band has to offer. That said I still think they are boring as hell and are mediocre musicians and that it is more than likely that some foreign object of some man's possession entered their mouths in order to secure this award...

  9. #29
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    51
    Mehhh im in debate, gaslight anthem or arcade fire, ihave both albums but really cant decide which is better :S

  10. #30
    GaGa and Perry will be forgotten in 5-10 years. Funeral will be remembered as one of the greatest albums of it's time, and likely be a regular on "Greatest Albums Ever Made" lists for the next 50-100 years.

    If you can't recognise the talent required to write tracks like Rebellion (Lies) or Sprawl II, I can't see you ever being able to appreciate good music.

    Next I'll be hearing Britney has been more important for music in the past 15 years than Radiohead.
    Last edited by PaddyMC89; 2011-02-15 at 12:33 PM.

  11. #31
    I can't believe people contest their win.

    They were against Lady Gaga, Eminem and Kate Perry..... Lady Gaga. Jesus christ...
    Warriors will dead

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageissues View Post
    I listened to them preform and then watched them win. I ask myself, "who the fuck are these people, and who's dick did they suck to beat Lady Antebellum, Katy Perry, Eminem, and Lady GaGa?"

    I stand in awe, not because they beat the person I obviously idolize, but because they also beat these other artists with massive fan bases.
    Implying that aside from Eminem, the others you mentioned have any talent and should be considered real musicians. The last couple of years Eminem has put out some great material, but The Suburbs is a really really good album in it's own right. I think it's more concept rock then anything, it covers a theme and moves along at it's own pace without being obnoxious or flashy. Recovery and Relapse by Eminem were great albums, but there is something about The Suburbs that makes it great as well and I think it has something to do with the fact that it's a unique album and that kind of concept art rock thing you don't see very often in modern music.

    ---------- Post added 2011-02-15 at 09:51 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwaice View Post
    I can't believe people contest their win.

    They were against Lady Gaga, Eminem and Kate Perry..... Lady Gaga. Jesus christ...
    Aside from Eminem, none of those other nominees deserve to be considered for a Grammy. Tacky bubble gum music does not equate to winning musics most prestigious awards.

  13. #33
    The Patient Cardodexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Spainwind
    Posts
    241


    Someone has to get this into here.

    English is my second language. Ñ.

  14. #34
    http://whoisarcadefire.tumblr.com/

    This is going to make a lot of people rage.


    Also, just because you haven't heard of Arcade Fire doesn't mean they don't deserve a Grammy, and just because they beat Gaga and Eminem doesn't make them a crap band.

    Kind of makes me feel bad--the band's receiving a metric f**kton of flak for being given an award by someone else over more popular musicians.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    You hear Month of May and Ready to Start and you think you know Arcade Fire.

    I'm gonna do something I've never done before (although I have) and agree that perhaps I don't know all that Lady Gaga has to offer. That said, I still think she's boring as hell and is a mediocre musician and it is more than likely that some foreign object of some man's possession entered her mouth in order to secure a record contract.

    What's your point?

    The Suburbs was #1 on Billboard 200, you just seem to have not noticed/cared because good music is all revolving around Lady Gaga, amirite?

    Broaden your musical horizon.

    EDIT: Also, lol@hater comments on youtube, really?
    Hehe, surprisingly we still make good music up here in the north. Despite what some wankers on Youtube think, Arcade Fire deserved it far more then anyone to be honest. Eminem would have been my second choice, but not the other 3. People who dress as badly as those 3 ladies do should not be taken seriously, and yet it saddens me to think that some people are so naive to think that the Best Album award would go to an auto tuning skank or a white rapper over a band who actually plays instruments and can write some really good songs.

    Arcade Fire has quickly become one of my favorite bands recently and I plan on investing in some more of their albums. I got The Suburbs on a whim after hearing the album at work and I really did enjoy it, there is something great about their work that really shows they are very creatively focused when it comes to writing instead of just plopping out crappy songs.

    ---------- Post added 2011-02-15 at 10:09 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    Really? I didn't know about them prior to the Grammys and I still don't give a shit as to who this band is. Further proof that these awards ceremonies are a complete farce.
    In 1980, Eric Johnson won a Grammy for Best Rock Instrumental, at that time almost no one knew who he was. Now anyone who actually pays attention to rock music knows that he is one of the greatest guitar players on the planet. Just goes to show you that a young guy from Texas that hardly anyone knew of aside from other big name musicians, could be recognized for his work with an award. Nothing has changed in 30 years, they still give out plenty of awards to less known musicians because they deserve them.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    Really? I didn't know about them prior to the Grammys and I still don't give a shit as to who this band is. Further proof that these awards ceremonies are a complete farce.
    So giving it to a band that they feel deserves the award rather then the most popular candidate makes it less legitimate?


    I don't really follow your logic here.

  17. #37
    Mechagnome Gecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Emerald Dream
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    So giving it to a band that they feel deserves the award rather then the most popular candidate makes it less legitimate?


    I don't really follow your logic here.
    Please go check http://whoisarcadefire.tumblr.com/ You may be enlightened. Then again, since you are a fanboi of this band, you may not be...

    Honestly, none of the bands nominated deserved the award. The music scene has been shit for over a decade now and bands like Arcade Fire are doing nothing to make it any better (Hey! Let's take the best of R.E.M., U2, Coldplay, and Radiohead and call ourselves The Arcade Fire! Yeah! We'll fill the hole they created!). Shit music is still shit music, whether the Grammy panel agrees or disagrees.

  18. #38
    Mechagnome Gecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Emerald Dream
    Posts
    519
    I watched the Unstaged concert that Terry Gilliam directed and listened to tracks from Funeral and Suburbs as suggested in this thread. They sound very similar to those bands styles. If you don't think so, then that's your opinion. Again, I think their music is shit and if you want to argue that, you are being ignorant because it's my opinion and you aren't going to change it.

  19. #39
    The Lightbringer Uzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moravia
    Posts
    3,070
    I don't particularly like them but otherwise I'm extremely happy that finally someone ended the reign of so-called music and real music won.

    Thanks to Grammy I discovered Hancock's version of Imagine by Lennon (it includes Pink and some singers I didn't know before but it's pure awesomeness).

    And I also read a funny quote:
    Darn I wish Justi doesn't attempt to make a jazz album now.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    I watched the Unstaged concert that Terry Gilliam directed and listened to tracks from Funeral and Suburbs as suggested in this thread. They sound very similar to those bands styles. If you don't think so, then that's your opinion. Again, I think their music is shit and if you want to argue that, you are being ignorant because it's my opinion and you aren't going to change it.
    That's like saying all hip hop sounds the same, or all pop country sounds the same. Sure if it isn't something you listen to often then it sounds more similar than dissimilar. If you really listen though you would feel stupid for saying Aesop Rock sounds like Chris Brown, or that Lucinda Williams sounds like Lady Antebellum and in this case that Arcade Fire sounds like REM/Coldplay/Radiohead/U2.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •