Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Music] Arcade Fire's album The Suburbs won Best Album of the Year!

One of my favorite albums. Totally deserved the win. Really glad they won :3.

I'm only somewhat human.

10+ Year Old Account
    I listened to them preform and then watched them win. I ask myself, "who the fuck are these people, and who's dick did they suck to beat Lady Antebellum, Katy Perry, Eminem, and Lady GaGa?"

I stand in awe, not because they beat the person I obviously idolize, but because they also beat these other artists with massive fan bases.

I'm so glad they won, you have no idea. In my opinion they deserved it the most.

Arcade Fire is an excellent band, and they should be extremely proud of their accomplishment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    and really put Arcade Fire on the map for a lot of people.
    Really? I didn't know about them prior to the Grammys and I still don't give a shit as to who this band is. Further proof that these awards ceremonies are a complete farce.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Based on the song they performed there, against the other performances by the artists nominated, no way in hell should they have won.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not seeing it, but whatevs. The grammys slammed Beiberfever, so I'm happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Not my kind of the herbal tea known as 'indie', they just don't sound right to me. However, I commend them for beating the pop superstars that are people such as Lady Gaga and the like.

Really, though, there are a lot of bands who are sort of similar but a million miles better than Arcade Fire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageissues View Post
    I listened to them preform and then watched them win. I ask myself, "who the fuck are these people, and who's dick did they suck to beat Lady Antebellum, Katy Perry, Eminem, and Lady GaGa?"

I stand in awe, not because they beat the person I obviously idolize, but because they also beat these other artists with massive fan bases.
    i took the time to actually listen to them after this....there is no way they should have won, imho.

If you haven't heard of them before this then you haven't been paying attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure the nominations are fueled purely on sales and name-dropping, because I'm under the impression I would not find a musical bone in any of these artist's bodies. Grats on winning, you still sound like 9001 other bands

10+ Year Old Account
    I've heard of them, I just never liked them. I sat through the entire album...not enjoyable by me and I like alternative. It just wasn't as good as the other artists. plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarwhalz View Post
    One of my favorite albums. Totally deserved the win. Really glad they won :3.

It might be that their sound is something I don't like. But I can say that I honestly don't enjoy their music at all

Music is like politics..

im glad they won. i just have no idea who the best new artist is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nourish View Post
    i took the time to actually listen to them after this....there is no way they should have won, imho.
    Yeah I went on Youtube earlier this morning and watched/listened to their most popular songs... and they are SO DAMN BORING. I found no deep messages, no instrumental prowess, and no incredible vocals. They are average, and should forever remain average.

Yeah I went on Youtube earlier this morning and watched/listened to their most popular songs... and they are SO DAMN BORING. I found no deep messages, no instrumental prowess, and no incredible vocals. They are average, and should forever remain average.
    Yes cause your 2 minutes of research on YouTube is enough to understand a whole album, let alone the artists body of work. Their lyrics have meaning (the whole album has a strong concept), interesting vocal explorations and they write their own shit. Instrumental prowess could be argued. They aren't bad, just you don't think of them for stand-out guitar solos or other sorts of musical ego stroking. They just aren't that kind of band.

I like all the other musicians nominated, some more than others, but this award was well deserved when comparing them.

The reason you haven't heard of them has nothing to do with the quality of their contribution to the music world. All that says is that they don't work for a big music studio that pays for you to hear them on the radio. Radio isn't merit based, it is revenue driven and you gotta pay for air-time.

am glad that someone else won instead of the most popular. i think all musician should get noticed instead of the main popular lady gaga and all the other crap they're playing at the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by psychedelica View Post
    am glad that someone else won instead of the most popular. i think all musician should get noticed instead of the main popular lady gaga and all the other crap they're playing at the radio.
    You can't really say they aren't popular. They edged out Eminem for the top spot on the charts when their album was released.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/12/ar.../12arcade.html

I can see this developed badly, but come on? You're saying the backstory and such of Gagas song like Bad Romance are good? Gaga's singing is repetetive and annoying (whilst she can sing, I guess - I'm not doubting that), she doesn't play her 'instruments' and they're fairly standard beats.

You want hard hitting songs with emotion and such?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgLm2gInV4A
    Hospice is an album where you can see emotion and thought has been put into it, to me (and many others), its a fairly obvious sign compared to Gaga's works.

Music, like art, and anything else in life, really is fuelled by how one perceives it, I guess - but calling an act average for gaining an achivement and having a bitter taste for it with only giving it a little bit of 'research' and not seeing how people can accept it to be their art form, and what they find beautiful in their life, is sort of shallow.

Maybe I contradicted myself, I don't care, I'm tired.