Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Guild Wars 2 Boss Fight

We are WARRIORS man! If we can't make it bleed, we will sure as hell dent the f%^ck out of it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Before someone starts saying its ezmode etc, it's not a boss fight per se.
    It's a world boss that is summoned after a bit of effort by largish number of players.
    In wow terms, its a quest mob similar to Omen from the lunar festival.
    Last edited by Mif; 2011-02-14 at 08:12 PM.

was hoping this would be something new :/

the video I mean

looks face roll

hopefully they have real content
    Last edited by Sorx; 2011-02-14 at 08:39 PM.

"All I can say is BAD ASS."

I agree. Wonder what the computer requirements will be, that looked like a lot of graphics with 60 players.

Deleted
    i swear to god that deathwing can run for hes life lol he dosent have a chanse to this big mama :P

I've seen this already, but I love it

Quote Originally Posted by Sorx View Post
    looks face roll

Define "real content."

Also, I don't think it's supposed to be an epeen-boosting challenge, but it's designed to feel immersive and actually like a RPG.
    Can't spell 'NICE BALANCE' without Ice Lance.

that boss was toned down massively in terms of difficulty only for the purpose of the demo, just to show people the content around that level, when the game launches it'll be much harder

More people = harder battles

Looks cool, but I have no idea whats going on.

Quote Originally Posted by station View Post
    Define "real content."

Also, I don't think it's supposed to be an epeen-boosting challenge, but it's designed to feel immersive and actually like a RPG.
    By real content, i mean something that isn't face roll; something that requires coordination and skill in part of the player.

quite frankly, all that fight looks like is you take a few doods and you just throw them at the dragon. I personally find it hard to be immersed with the complete lack of danger in that battlefield and insignificance of my actions.

your using immersive as an excuse for that something could be poorly designed or perhaps the chance to gawk at a huge mob. Granted, that fight may very well be a World boss, so its easy. Thats understandable which is why "i said hopefully they have real content".
    Last edited by Sorx; 2011-02-15 at 12:31 AM.

By real content, i mean something that isn't face roll; something that requires coordination and skill in part of the player.

quite frankly, all that fight looks like is you take a few doods and you just throw them at the dragon. I personally find it hard to be immersed with the complete lack of danger in that battlefield and insignificance of my actions.

your using immersive as an excuse for that something could be poorly designed or perhaps the chance to gawk at a huge mob. Granted, that fight may very well be a World boss, so its easy. Thats understandable which is why "i said hopefully they have real content".
    Look two posts up ^

that's the first of anything i've seen from Guild Wars 2 so i can't really tell how good it'll be, but it looks way better than the first Guild Wars (which was awful)
    Battlemaster Ralamus (retired rogue)

What you're looking for then is the dungeons which are 5-man content that REQUIRE coordination and are very easy to lose (but there are multiple ways to win). There's a lot going during the shatterer (that boss also that's just a lvl 50ish lieutenant of one of the dragons the actual elder dragons are more akin to say...a hurricane) fight that you're not seeing. The Mortars are necessary because they keep the adds down/ destroy the crystal blocks that people are routinely stuck into. Also they're perpetually under attack so a contingent of players has to defend them. He has no true aggro and will attack anyone he pleases. They purposely dialed the boss to nerf football lvls so that people with no prior knowledge (ie 50 lvls) could actually stand a chance. and Ralamus....you've not been listening at ALL to the mmo news sites have you? GW2's been big on a TON of sites for MONTHS

Yes they consistently spawned that boss a number of times to show it strictly for the demo. GW2 is trying a lot of new stuff. Like, CoD/GoW style death - you die, but anyone can pick you up...or you can just respawn at a checkpoint-type-thing if no one can help you.

There is no information on dungeons yet. All the info they have given is up on their site. I too would like to know. The one gameplay video they showed was mostly dynamic events/starting area. They explained a lot but didn't really get to show most of it in action, so I was disappointed. I really, really like their ideas. The event-quest system is a huge risk and is either destined to be awesome or fail. Same with their "Stay away from DPS/Tank/Healer Trinity" ideas. People who defend Rift are all like "MMO's are all the same, who cares if it looks and feel likes WoW, we like that!" While I agree it's familiar, I'd rather an MMORPG take a huge risk like they're doing. If they can pull it off, it will be truly epic and definitely bring the MMO and RPG back into MMORPG. Otherwise, we wait more

I believe there is some misunderstandings. I do not believe the design intent is for players to invest hours and hours of wipes to be successful--it's a dynamic event. Just one of 1400 (the last figure I heard). It scales with people and becomes increasingly more complex; it's not meant to be as complex as, say, a dungeon or raid. They'll have separate dungeons. Other posters already addressed other points, so I'm not going to bother retyping it, as I'm sure you can read

ETA: about the immersive part--I forgot to mention--It is supposed to feel more like your world is constantly active. It brings the community more together, and it will bring a more MMO feel should it be successful. One issue with raids and dungeons is that it can disconnect you and become more "solo" feeling. Hopefully these fights won't be too predictable or scripted, so it doesn't feel monotonous. Hope that cleared things up
    Last edited by station; 2011-02-15 at 02:38 AM.
    Can't spell 'NICE BALANCE' without Ice Lance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love it how there's always one person that has to hate on the Shatterer saying it looks easy.

A few facts:
    The toon being played is a level 47 (cap is 80)
    Dynamic events like this are how you quest in GW2
    In wow, at level 47 you'd be killing slime monsters in Felwood for jars of ooze.

I know what I'd rather be doing....

Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    Above poster is sooo right!
    above poster is behind the times.

looks face roll

That boss will be much harder in the release version. They even said they toned the boss down for demonstration purposes.

The way bosses work is the more players that are there participating in the event, the harder the bosses get and they get more abilities to compensate for all the players trying to kill it.

So before you think something is a face roll, do some actual reading about the game.

I'm very curious to know how fucking big these so-called elder dragons are. Because that dragon was roughly how big Deathwing is in proportion to player size.