My 5 year old xbox 360

I have a 5 year old xbox 360 and recently it has been overheated like 1000 times!!!i suppose it's the xbox's age that has to do with because it overheats at about 24 celsius (75 fahrenheit) so usualy i open my window a bit and sometimes even that doesn't help I have my xbox on a surface it can breathe good on but still it just overheats....Does the slim version have the same problem or is the ventilation system better on it *Rest in pieces my Xbox 360*

Try buying a laptop cooling pad that can be plugged into the wall (Or buy a USB >> wall adapter) and putting the Xbox (and maybe the power block) on that tray.

Or go buy a PS3

Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    try buying a laptop cooling pad that can be plugged into the wall (or buy a usb >> wall adapter) and putting the xbox (and maybe the power block) on that tray.

Or go buy a ps3
    omg buy a ps3?!get out of my thread, noooow!!!!!!!!

Have you tried opening the case and cleaning the dust out? I mean it's not like you have a warranty that still exists, right? I know after about 3 years mine did the same thing I opened the case unloaded a can of air all over it and it was fine. I still want a slim though just can't bring myself to buy a new one when my 360 is still alive...

Try opening it up if you can and blowing all the crap out of it with a can of electronics duster as well. I bet it's clogged with a bunch of crap. I did that to my laptop and its idle temp went down by a good 15-20C. The Xbox360 ventilation-wise was built poorly, so the analog to treating it like a laptop for cooling situations.

PS: Doooooood let's go play some MADDEN or BLACKOPS, mang! Doooooooooooood.

I think it's time to buy a new xbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also don't forget the early ones sucked and are notorious for overheating/red ringing. Mine gave out last month and I bought a slim. I personally don't like them. They just don't feel as powerful after long game sessions.
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.

It was my understanding that the slim still uses the same fabrication process as the original. There were no major hardware revisions done to it. Merely re-arrange some components to shave 10% off the system size. Which isn't very slim IMHO...

The newer versions of the Xbox360 hardly overheat anymore.
    Friend of mine had a 360 from releaseday, would overheat rather fast, and died of a red ring.
    Then he got a new one, newer version. That one would hardly get warm, whereas you could bake an omelet on the first one.

thanks for the tips ill open it and see what crap i can find to start with and see if it gets better if not i will probably buy a new one because otherwise it will get cooked in summer...:P