Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cho'gall 10 Man Advice

So, My guild has hit Cho'gall on 10 man, it's now our second week getting a decent amount of time on him. (we mainly raid 25's and mix it up between the 3 raid instances) The very first week, which was last week Monday, I'm not sure if it was some sort of bug or something, but we managed to burn cho'gall down to 48% before any adds spawned and before he had casted Fury of cho'gall. (Little curious why that happened) After that wipe the fight continued as normal. We made some reasonable progress but not much.

Anyway, tonight we bashed our heads against a wall for about 1hr 30 mins. We seemed to have issues with the tank that grabbed the Adds that spawned, would always stack up pretty quickly with his corruption (No he didn't stand in the blood) the fury of cho'gall timer seemed to allow for the same tank to pick the adds up each time, Is this how it is supposed to work? or should the tanks alternate between the add handling. We initially had some trouble with the killing of the slimes as well, mainly due to not being able to slow them. we seemed to keep wiping at around 40% due to A) peoples corruption getting way to high, B) having 4-5 adds down thus spawning shit loads of slimes.

We were running with the following setup tonight: Prot Paladin, Feral(tank) Druid, 2 x MM Hunters, Destro Warlock, Shadow Priest, Fire Mage, 2 x Resto Druid, Holy Priest.

I've read some tactics and seem some videoes where by people are using 2 healers instead of 3. Is this viable, and should it increase our DPS enough to actually hit p2, and not have any major issues with the slimes?

Thanks for any input.

Deleted
    Your OT shouldnt be grabbing adds , hunters lay frost trap and just nuke em from range , he propably got corruption up because adds did hit him ?

I mean the Big adds, The slimes are frost trapped/Mutishot dazed and nuked down.

Deleted
    we do chogall with 1 tank. we tank chogall slightly below the stairs to the right, stack up all ranged close to melee for quick interrupts, and then the tank just taunts the add and tank both add and boss. important to interrupt the add, so put one of the melee on interrupt duty. when the add goes low, tank kites it up above stairs to drop the pool, then quickly back down again.

however using only one tank, its ofc not viable that he is stackign up loads of fury of chogall debuffs, so we have a dk (or any player with a taunt really) run away and taunt chogall jsut before the cast. MT can take the first debuff, then when its 18 sec left of the debuff he can tell the chosen dps to taunt the boss, as the fury of chogall will be cast when it is around 16-17 sec left on the debuff on the tank. this way the mt only ever gets one stack of the fury of chogall debuff, and as long as you interrupt mindcontrolled ppl fast enough, he should have no problem tanking both the add and the boss.

the small adds are usually what screws up corruption, so make sure that you get them slowed and nuke them down fast. also when the big add is up ranged need to spread and watch out for the shadow crashes, as u get huge ammount fo corruption from these.

usually we go into phase 2 with noone above 20% corrupted blood, but we have killed him with 4-5 ppl at 50+ corrupted blood when p2 starts, just have to push it a bit extra.

in p2 it helps to assign dps a bit so everyone knows which tentacles to focus on. realyl important to interrupt them and burn them down fast.

Your OT needs to interrupt the big adds. They cast something, can't remember what it's called, but if they are getting through it would probably explain your OT's Corruption. Going 2 heals would be tricky, if they both get targeted by Worship and subsequently CC'd it could get ugly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by devboy View Post
    I mean the Big adds, The slimes are frost trapped/Mutishot dazed and nuked down.

Then it could be un-interrupted cast of big add , its only explanation for gaining corruption in this part of fight.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of people opt for 2 healers, but 3 is equally viable. I found that pattern that the same tank is able to pick up the add each time, as well. This is actually pretty convenient for me as a healer because I always know who's staying behind for Cho'gall.

Is your offtank getting hit by the shadow crashes? Even offtanking like that, his corruption shouldn't get high. A good run means no one has Corruption over 25 by the start of phase 2.

PS Prot paladins with Avenger's Shield is OP for Worship.
    Last edited by eternalwhitemoon; 2011-02-14 at 11:19 PM.

Deleted
    Depravity, does raid wide aoe, 1.5 sec cast.

teh tank tanking the big adds should not get any extra corruption, unless he is standing int he puddle after the add dies. or if he just simply fails on fire/shadowcrashes while he is tanking it

Deleted
    Yep, sounds like your offtank isnt interrupting Depravity.

We were having the same problem you are dealing with. We dropped a healer for another dps and we got him to 6%. Havent downed him yet, we only saw him for a nights worth of attempts, but i think the 2 healer strat is the way to go. We are also melee heavy in our normal raid comp so i think with some more attempts and avoiding chaos stacks, standing in fire etc, we will be good. Healers went oom about 10% so we were lucky to pull through to 6%.

Anyhow, i do think that 2 heals is doable and i recommend trying it out. With your ranged you should be able to nuke the adds no problem and with the extra dps, choggy's going to go down significantly faster. I think you guys got this on your next night of attempts.

Good luck in there.

hmmm I don't believe that the big add was being interrupted... that must be why he is stacking up... Also, around how many big adds should we have down just prior to the 25%, as it varied from time to time, for instance on one particular try we hit about 45% and the third add was spawning, but other times we were hitting 40% and the 5th add was either spawning or dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireteeth View Post
    Your OT needs to interrupt the big adds. They cast something, can't remember what it's called, but if they are getting through it would probably explain your OT's Corruption.
    Depravity, interrupt it. All tanks have an interrupt, but it is best to have a tank that has a 10 second CD on their interrupt. The add casts depravity every 10 seconds, so hold the add in place until he does his first Depravity, interrupt it, then move him back. When the OT has 1-2 seconds left on his interrupt CD, stop and get ready to interrupt. Once you interrupt, continue kiting like this until he is placed. The tank on adds will always be the tank that starts on Cho'gall first.

There should be no reason for anyone to take corruption
    In phase one. You need an interrupt rotation on the big adds. If depravity is cast by them it's a big mistake. No one should be hit by shadow crashes. You didn't mention mind control being an issue but if you don't interrupt them tanks take higher damage. You should have no problem with slimed as you have plenty of slows and aoe. The real test for your dps is if they can get to phase two with only having 4 big adds. Your priest should be multi dotting to keep dps on chogall and not everyone should switch to slimes the first two times. If you can't mange getting to phase two with 4 big adds you may need another dps but your healers better be amazing. There is a 1 tank strat but it's pretty heal intensive as well. Minimizing corruption makes all the difference. Everyone takes lower damage with lower corruption. Keep corruption down and dps up and everything else falls in place. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by hephij View Post
    Yep, sounds like your offtank isnt interrupting Depravity.
    Sounds like you need a Enhancement Shaman :P

2 tanks, 3 healers.

Start of the fight, we bash on the boss and have him at 82-83% before the first add, which spawns just as the tank switch happens so the tank that was on Cho'gall so far picks up the add (This goes like this every time). 3 of our dps (Mage, Hunter, Warlock) nuke down the add as it's kited to the entrance (Before the patch we've had a rogue as well, with only our other rogue sticking to the boss all the time, since two interrupters were needed. Now the tank can interrupt it alone).

Since we only have 3 dps on the adds, they die JUST before Fester Blood. A frost trap is placed at the base of the stairs before the big add is even dead, so it triggers it. The small adds get slowed, and the first wave gets handled by the hunter alone, with me only tossing a blast wave and LB/impact to help him.

After the first add wave the boss is at ~70%. Pattern repeats with the second add. Now the warlock helps out a bit on the adds as well. After the second wave, the boss is at ~50%
    At the third wave, all 3 ranged dps nuke down the adds, and they die before hitting anyone. The boss should be 35% or lower by now.

When the fourth ad spawns, we ignore it, the tank just picks it up and interrupts it, and we spread for the shadow crashes. We nuke the boss to 25%, moving him to the boxes on either side of his throne at ~27% (Make sure you do it at the Shadow Stance phase, so you don't get any fire there).

Boss goes into p2, we pop BL while he's channeling his stuff. Assuming you got to 25% before Fury of Cho'gall, the big add will despawn. Since the boss is in the corner, all of the eye tentacles should spawn on top of him, with only one or two showing up outside (have one of your ranged designated to deal with those). Nuke the boss down while making sure the adds don't cast and / or die instantly.
    Last edited by Choda; 2011-02-14 at 11:33 PM.

Deleted
    sounds like you are haveing some dps issues. this might be due to dps moveing aroudn to much, or just not being comfortable with the fight yet.
    anyway i would advice you to try the 1 tank strategy rather then to remove a healer for a dps. haveing only one tank, and using a dps to soak every second fury of chogall actualyl decrease the dmg compared to haveing two tanks switching. Chogall and the adds does not hit that hard, so unless ur tank is completely undergeared its shouldnt be a problem for your tank to pick up both of them. popping a cd or two whenever he is tanking add+chogall decrease the dmg even further.

also try to tank chogall close to the stairs, to reduce movement as much as possible. when u got 2-3 puddles you could move him a bit furhter away to not get hit by the small adds.

Cheers for all the input, Going to put this to the test next week (If we happen to get to him... Might just extend the lockout :P)

Deleted
    we started off trying 2tanks3heals...hit the (10min) enragetimer...-> swapped to 1tank3heal .. fury has to be soaked by a dk/warri w/e...tank grabs both, add and cho+cds; burn down+interrupt tank near the throne...(on the left side there is a narrow spot where i drop the adds) and from then on try to have the puddles aligned ...kill 3 adds; the fourth should spawn around ~35% -> tank it off and bring chogall to 25 -> add will disappear..try having cho'gall at the entrance (infront of the closed door) at 26% so the tentacles spawn in a controlled environment and its a cakewalk from then on...focus tentacles, dont look at each other whilst having 50% corruption etc etc

meanwhile we probably could do it with 2tanks2or3heals..but why change a running system ._. ...didnt have the gear back then ..

2 Heal 1 tank, And before someone says you cant do it and asks how it is done, iv done it for well over5 10man chogall kills starting from week 3 of cata which resulted in the 4rth fastest kill in the world at the time. You have a melee dps tuant from range for the debuff and the maintank takes it back. The maintank takes the adds thats spawns then moves chogal away once it dies and repeats.

Deleted
    We go with 2 tanks, 2 healers. The tanks rotate tanking the boss and the big adds. Drag the first two adds to the top of the stairs and the subsequent ones to the bottom. Ideally you want to be doing enough damage on Cho'gall to force him into phase 2 around or before the 4th add spawns. Whoever is tanking the add can just keep it till you hit phase 2 when it will despawn.

Having lots of ranged DPS should mean you have no problem either switching targets or dealing with the adds. We normally have a rogue and an unholy DK follow the offtank with the big adds(plus covering the interupts) while the ranged focus on the boss. Then when the slimes are due to spawn the melee head back to the boss while the ranged deal with the adds using any slows and melee available.

There is no point 2 healing it if you still can't get the DPS to push to phase 2 before a 4th wave of adds, however if you want to take the 4th set you really want good AOE and slows. If you need to kill more than 4 your DPS is not up to scratch for one reason or another.

As you can tell there are multiple ways to do this fight depending on your group setup, so you just really need to figure out what is best for you.

I play a Prot Pala myself and interupt a large portion of the mind controls using my Avengers shield, it is just reliant on players being close enough for it to jump(plus will only free two people) but everyone should group as much as possible anyway to make both freeing people and healing easier.