Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Resto: Should Blizzard bring back Tidal Force?

With the severe lack of a healing cooldown for Resto Shaman, do you think Blizzard should bring back Tidal Force?

Tidal Force
    Instant cast
    Increases the critical effect chance of your Healing Wave, Lesser Healing Wave and Chain Heal by 60%.
    Each critical heal reduces the chance by 20%. Lasts 20 sec.

Why or why not?

While I do agree that Restoration needs another cooldown, I don't think Tidal Force is going to cut it. Oh yay I get maybe 2 crits? Yeah that's not really on par with other big cooldowns like Tree of Life or Guardian Spirit.

I must admit, I have no idea why this cooldown was removed to our already non-existent list of cooldowns. No it won't really help tip the balance greatly, but still, it was weird to just see it disappear. Ok, arguably we barely used it in wrath because we didn't need to, but that was due to the state of the game and not the class. (i.e there was rarely a need to use it constant)

We really need more of a defensive cooldown and throughput ability. Pisses me off we can't have these things so lightly purely based on PvP reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    While I do agree that Restoration needs another cooldown, I don't think Tidal Force is going to cut it. Oh yay I get maybe 2 crits? Yeah that's not really on par with other big cooldowns like Tree of Life or Guardian Spirit.
    What's our other cooldown?

And I do agree with you. I just think its crazy that they took away Tidal Force and gave us nothing to take its place. I honestly never thought I'd see the day where I actually miss TF, but in the current game model, it would definitely help.

Call it a cooldown if you want, but Nature's Swiftness still has a place. That's what I was referring to when I mentioned 'another'.

This would actually be pretty powerful due to the Water Shield mana return, and the fact that it lasts 20 seconds. If it was on a one-minute cooldown, I think this would pretty much fix Restoration Shaman. Good idea.

PS., combined with Tidal waves, this would make Lesser a 100% crit. Thats pretty useful imo.

3 WS procs every minute and a little bit of extra throughput on 3 spells will not fix Restoration Shaman. Tidal Force is a nifty ability but not nearly as good as other defensive cooldowns.

Call it a cooldown if you want, but Nature's Swiftness still has a place. That's what I was referring to when I mentioned 'another'.
    But thats nothing compared to wings and divine on a hpally or tree of life on a druid

That's exactly my point, mitcheldk, is that neither NS or TF are up to par in terms of defensive cooldowns.

10+ Year Old Account
    A brief comparison:

Paladins:
    Divine Favor
    Avenging Wrath
    Divine Shield
    Divine Protection

Priests:
    Desperate Prayer (Holy/Disc)
    Guardian Spirit (Holy)
    PW: Barrier (disc)
    Pain Suppression (disc)

Druids:
    Barkskin
    Tranquility
    Tree of Life

Shaman:
    ??????

To answer the OP; Something would be better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    A brief comparison:

Paladins:
    Divine Favor
    Avenging Wrath
    Divine Shield
    Divine Protection

Priests:
    Guardian Spirit (Holy)
    Pain Suppression (disc)

Druids:
    Barkskin
    Tranquility
    Tree of Life

Shaman:
    ??????

They got tide and i assume Blizz calls that a CD but i would love to see a healing increase buff or damage reduction

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mitcheldk View Post
    They got tide and i assume Blizz calls that a CD but i would love to see a healing increase buff or damage reduction
    Tidal Waves is not a cooldown, its a proc. Every healing class in the game has procs. I refuse to believe Blizzard is that clueless.

No one is talking about Tidal Waves. The discussion is about Tidal Force, the cooldown we had in WotLK.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    What's our other cooldown?

And I do agree with you. I just think its crazy that they took away Tidal Force and gave us nothing to take its place. I honestly never thought I'd see the day where I actually miss TF, but in the current game model, it would definitely help.
    Mana Tide is very significant and shouldn't be overlooked. I do agree though that shaman need another cool down or tank saving ability to use.

---------- Post added 2011-02-14 at 07:41 PM ----------

A brief comparison:

Paladins:
    Divine Favor
    Avenging Wrath
    Divine Shield
    Divine Protection

Priests:
    Guardian Spirit (Holy)
    Pain Suppression (disc)

Druids:
    Barkskin
    Tranquility
    Tree of Life

Shaman:
    ??????

Half of what you listed doesn't even apply, as it's only for the class who has it (barksin, desperate prayer - seriously trying to say that's a cd used for pve is laughable, divine shield, divine protection). I do agree shaman need another cool down, preferably something that can be used on a tank.
    Last edited by sicness; 2011-02-15 at 12:41 AM.

I don't think you can really include Mana Tide in this solely because of the fact that Priests have Hymn of Hope. Now I understand that Mana Tide is more powerful, it's pretty much the same concept.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    I guess blizz just overlooked that? Playing a resto shaman back in TBC Fire Ele and Heroism were more than enough cooldowns for me, but it seems like ele does 0 damage in comparison to what it did, and Heroism is something everyone has, neither can be used in arena, whereas everything aside from LoH can be for the other healers.

Oh, and you missed LoH on your list. It's an amazing cooldown.

Resto Shamans could definately use something, defensive healing. Paladin's Divine Illumination is like 20% crit, 20% haste for 30 seconds (20 w/o glyph), and is completely amazing, just make Tidal Force be that, or like 40% crit instead of giving it haste, viola.

Blizzard will realize this come the next expansion probably. Not enough devs play resto shamans.

I don't think you can really include Mana Tide in this solely because of the fact that Priests have Hymn of Hope. Now I understand that Mana Tide is more powerful, it's pretty much the same concept.
    When the majority of raids build their healing group around mana tide I have to disagree with you.

Fair enough, sicness. But let's look at this the other way:

Priests are brought for Hymn of Hope (let's assume for a second that it's a 3 minute cooldown and not 6). Shaman throughput isn't good enough to compensate. In current situations, many classes can gear for a lot more throughput just because of the presence of MTT. This is a flaw in class design, imo.

But the point remains that Restoration needs a solid defensive cooldown. And sticking to the point of the thread: I don't think Tidal Force is a good enough option to cover that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post
    Mana Tide is very significant and shouldn't be overlooked. I do agree though that shaman need another cool down or tank saving ability to use.

---------- Post added 2011-02-14 at 07:41 PM ----------

Half of what you listed doesn't even apply, as it's only for the class who has it (barksin, desperate prayer - seriously trying to say that's a cd used for pve is laughable, divine shield, divine protection). I do agree shaman need another cool down, preferably something that can be used on a tank.
    Yet you can still remove those CDs and Paladins and Priest still have 3-4 more to spare.

Deleted
    Priests:
    Guardian Spirit (Holy)
    Pain Suppression (disc)
    Add Hymn of Hope and Divine Hymn to that list too.

I don't even know why Blizzard took Tidal Force away in the first place, even in Wrath it was useful, who didnt like to overheal for even more than they usually did? But now, something, anything at all like that would be a gift like water in the desert to restoration shamans.
    Last edited by mmoc8c9fac3760; 2011-02-15 at 12:55 AM.