Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The Art of Shadow

Hello there people of MMO. I play a Spriest and have done since the beginning of BC. With all this new stuff going on considering stats and builds what is actually best for a Shadow Priest.

At the moment I have been collecting haste and mastery and ignoring crit. The reason behind my decision is simply this. Crit chance is chance. Haste goes directly on as does mastery hence the reason for me going this way.

I would also like to point out that in my guild is another Spriest who goes in favor of haste and crit. And ignores mastery. We do very similar dps but sometimes I get the edge on him and sometimes he gets the edge on me. Here is a link to my armory for you to get a better perspective http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...%C3%A1n/simple

So my question is a simple one. Do i need crit or mastery? Any kind of advice would be great thank you.

EDIT: Forget what I said. I just found this http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...stery-now-4.06 on the first page, which asks the same question
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I'm aware mastery is the most usless stat we can have. I think the fact that you're neck and neck with someone who is favoring crit instead is because you're probably more geared or better at your dot timing, etc.

I think if you start ditching mastery for crit you'll start pulling ahead of the other spriest.

Stop going based off what you "feel". You need crit sometimes. You need mastery sometimes. Sure, haste is better if you can get it, but don't gimp yourself.

Download "simulationcraft". Run it for your character. Look at the stat values. You'll thank me.

Mastery is far from useless, especially with last week's patch. Crit is better, but not by much.

The real question I have about your gear is why you are ignoring haste. It's much better than both mastery and crit. Why are you reforging it into inferior stats?

Quote Originally Posted by balbanesbeoulve View Post
    Mastery is far from useless, especially with last week's patch. Crit is better, but not by much.

The real question I have about your gear is why you are ignoring haste. It's much better than both mastery and crit. Why are you reforging it into inferior stats?
    I hadn't even checked his armory before you post.

And I'd just like to point out what this guy said in details.
    Your reforging wrong, unless this is not your right gear.

You reforged 91 haste into mastery? Why?

!!!!
    Items without haste rating -> Reforge a 2ndary stat into haste
    Items with haste rating -> Reforge a 2ndary stat (Not haste) into crit.

You are already over hit cap, so reforging spirit or hit to another start is not a problem

You have 2 rings with mastery and no reforging, change the mastery into Haste.
    You have a trinket with 321 mastery, reforge this into haste
    Your cloak, shoulders and wand is also baring mastery, change into haste.
    Your other trinket, 321 hit, can be changed into haste aswell, being hit capped is yet not our highest prio, and falling below cap is not gonna hurt your dps.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

I'm not intending to be rude, but how did you get to 361 average item level without figuring out how to gear and forge your toon?

Something says me that he has been healer.

Quote Originally Posted by Töasty View Post
    I'm not intending to be rude, but how did you get to 361 average item level without figuring out how to gear and forge your toon?
    Most likey PvP gear is boosting it up. Equipped ilvl is 355

Deleted
    From what I've heard by people posting on therycrafting related posts it seems that mastery is just a bit better than crit but I am not sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by balbanesbeoulve View Post

Not true, the genereal consensus is that mastery > crit nowadays, looking at my own Simcraft values they go hand in hand so they are probably quite close for most people.

Edit: Seems I was wrong, looking at New's findings, a few posts down, just do a Simcraft sim on your gear and see what ends up on top.
    Last edited by Epox; 2011-02-15 at 09:39 AM.
    Main
    Epox
    PvP Alt (lololol Icelance)
    Zyke
    Decent Alts
    Nyli
    Ashuna

Quote Originally Posted by Greendog View Post
    At the moment I have been collecting haste and mastery and ignoring crit. The reason behind my decision is simply this. Crit chance is chance. Haste goes directly on as does mastery hence the reason for me going this way.
    Never use this kind of reaoning. There is nothing wrong with chances, especially since you do so much stuff in a usual bossfight that you can reasonably expect chances to even out. Use maths and/or simulations to calculate the statistical worth of the stats, or let other people do it for you and believe what they say. Just don't rely only on strange reasonings

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Simbert View Post
    Never use this kind of reaoning. There is nothing wrong with chances, especially since you do so much stuff in a usual bossfight that you can reasonably expect chances to even out. Use maths and/or simulations to calculate the statistical worth of the stats, or let other people do it for you and believe what they say. Just don't rely only on strange reasonings
    True. Imagine there is an option to activate a talent that gives you a 1% chance to hit 1.000.000 dmg. Would you choose it? Of course. Who cares about %. That talent would give you 100.000 dmg.

Wow thanks for all the replies guys i appreciate it and am reforging back my haste as we speak. While im here though i may as well ask if theres some kind of cap for haste. Or the more the merrier?

Seeing as Haste affects everything we have it suffices to say there is no hastecap.
    Faster dots, faster flaying, faster casts, lower GCD and so on.
    Once you reach GCD cap you should start worrying but at the current gearlevels that's near impossible to reach

Quote Originally Posted by Karei View Post
    Seeing as Haste affects everything we have it suffices to say there is no hastecap.
    Faster dots, faster flaying, faster casts, lower GCD and so on.
    Once you reach GCD cap you should start worrying but at the current gearlevels that's near impossible to reach
    There are certain haste points your should research though, im currently not sure what they are but at specific haste values you will gain extra ticks for your dots resulting in large dps gains. If you are close to one of the points your should aim to achieve it.

With 4 piece t11 bonus, doesn't crit become > than mastery? It seems like right now that they are fairly close. I'm trying to keep a healthy balance of crit and mastery, aiming for items with haste and crit, and reforging some of the crit into mastery.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remortal View Post
    There are certain haste points your should research though, im currently not sure what they are but at specific haste values you will gain extra ticks for your dots resulting in large dps gains. If you are close to one of the points your should aim to achieve it.
    This is wrong. You must update dots beforhe they finish, in Cata. But once they are renewed, they don't start again. I mean, there's no extra tick.

If one of your dots is gonna tick at second 13 but it ends at second 12 and you renew this dot before it ends, it's gonna tick at second 13, no matter if you renew it 1, 3 or 5 seconds before it ends.

Don't forget each flay crit reduces the CD of our pet by 10 sec. So theoretically crit scales faster than mastery. Not saying crit is better than mastery but do keep in mind that shadowy appartition cannot hit boss in the air.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    At some gear levels and in some gear fights (mostly only patchwerk style fights and those don't really exist anymore) Mastery can be considered better than Crit based purely on a simulation craft output. However, when Mastery does beat Crit, it is usually by about .001-.01 of a difference. Along a wide range of fight styles, Crit is the clear winner ranging from about a .2-.5 difference. Honestly, I think the .001-.01 possible gain from Mastery in those few situations would be negated by RNG and player error anyway, so for all intents and purposes, you should consider Crit > Mastery.

Shadow Priest of <YARG> of Rexxar. #74 US
    www.yetanotherraidingguild.com