Thread: New to Rogue

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New to Rogue

Been playing WoW for a hell of a long time, but I never really tried to master this class. I have a few questions.

With the Cata changes, is sub a good and viable spec to grind quest/bg/instance xp?

Since the class is apparently one of the least played, is the learning curve one of those factors or is gearing?

Any general tips that you wish you had known before rolling?

Thanks

i have only ever levelled as Sub. Been playing rogue since wow release 2004. With recuperate Sub has zero down time for leveling and kills mobs the fastest 1-85. Its utility, survivability, mobility and burst dmg makes it the best choice for PVP. PVE is a different story as both other specs supply higher consistent dps atm and although sub can potentially put out similar dps it is incredibly hard to do. That being said i have been playing sub PVE for quite some time now and it is getting easier. you have an opportunity to spend a lot of time leveling in the Sub spec and get a good handle on it and maybe master it.

Happy hunting young blade brother... and play a NE or Troll please.
    Last edited by Bobbojonno; 2011-02-15 at 04:13 PM.
    Night Elf till I die
    Everything else is second best

10+ Year Old Account
    If you wanted to do both PvP and run instances, I would say assassination. It does good damage in instances and its pretty good for pvp. I would spec into the talent that when you kill a mob/player it refreshes your SnD and Recup. That is a must for questing.

Quote Originally Posted by Felspark View Post
    Been playing WoW for a hell of a long time, but I never really tried to master this class. I have a few questions.

With the Cata changes, is sub a good and viable spec to grind quest/bg/instance xp?

Since the class is apparently one of the least played, is the learning curve one of those factors or is gearing?

Thanks
    go with assassination. practice it because it is the best pve and pvp spec atm. tho there are rogues who like sub for pvp. giving that a try wouldnt hurt. but i still say go assassination
    ggg

What's wrong with the Goblins! Haha...

I love the stealth animation and the other racials.

10+ Year Old Account
    Subt is master for PvP right now, altough it requires a good portion of skill to play to the max.

For PvE id go with Mut atm, since it has good dps, easy to play and levels decently fast (altough combat and maybe subt beat it to that)

As of the learning, skill capping a rogue in pvp is imposseble. Playing it really well is hard and your going to have a time maximizing yourself to your potential. Gearing however is just the same as any other class. Possebly even easier since you are often the only rolling agi leather. (taken that you were thinking pve)
    Last edited by Evolixe; 2011-02-15 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentshank View Post
    go with assassination. practice it because it is the best pve and pvp spec atm. tho there are rogues who like sub for pvp. giving that a try wouldnt hurt. but i still say go assassination
    if you master Assissination you will reach a cap on your skill which means if you improve beyond that there will be little to no payout for skill beyond that cap. With subtlety you can be a god.....
    Night Elf till I die

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbojonno View Post
    Happy hunting young blade brother... and play a NE or Troll please.
    or human because the battlemaster trinket you can get for pvp that increases your health is great with recup.
    ggg

I agree go with assassination it is currently the best spec and is doing the most damage. Alot of my friend have played rogue but don't like them because they say there to stressful that if u mess up one time ur done. I enjoy playing my rogue, hes my favorite toon to play

Yeah ages ago when I tried a rogue in t4 content all I really did was combat. Assassination and Sub where completely mysterious. From what I've been reading about Sub it doesn't seem it's to complex to level with. I'd be keen on learning the first tree proper.

Sub is great mobility when you first hit 10, but I would drop it for Assassination fairly quickly once you've got a mount. The lack of positional requirements and Deadly Momentum keeping your SND and Recup up forever make you a non-stop killing machine.

Yeah ages ago when I tried a rogue in t4 content all I really did was combat. Assassination and Sub where completely mysterious. From what I've been reading about Sub it doesn't seem it's to complex to level with. I'd be keen on learning the first tree proper.
    Welcome to the darkside.... There's no turning back now....
    Night Elf till I die

combat is the worst out of the 3 imo right now. if your making a new rogue level with sub but when you can get dual spec make your off spec assassination so you can see how that spec works, that will be what you use at 85
    ggg

Go sub, but dual spec combat for dungeons. Combat incredibly easy to play for dungeons and kicks out good numbers. Sub just better for solo/pvp.

Thanks for the advice so far, I'm looking forward to being challenged by this class but not overwhelmed by it's....subtleties.

>.>

For questing and solo grinding, I think sub is possibly the best spec for a rogue. With a good dagger and half decent gear, most mobs drop after the Premeditation > Shadowstep > Ambush > Kidney Shot > Backstab > Backstab > Eviscerate routine. Throw in a Shadow Dance for Ambushing goodness whenever off cool-down.

As for instancing, whilst levelling it's fine but once you hit the 81-85 bracket, you really want to consider changing to Assassination or Combat. Sub, regardless of what people will try and delude themselves into believing, just doesn't compete.

In BG's, sub is popular but these days I just can't bring myself to give a shit about PVP so I'm not overly familiar with rogue tactics there.

Easy class to play, hard class to master.

If you want to be a good PVE rogue, you have to be aggressive. You need to be the type of player who is on the mob the instant the tank pulls and who isn't afraid to burn cooldowns or sprint back to melee range. Roguedom doesn't reward timidity. It's a very go-go-go type of class. Plus you have to be on the ball for things like interrupts and stuns and tank target switching, all whilst monitoring cooldowns and energy and combo points and buffs and debuffs.

Which is why most people suck at it.

Yes, I wish I'd known that Blizzard hates rogues.

Deleted
    Ive played a rogue for almost 6 years.

Leveling as Combat is far better than Assassination, and IMO better than Sub. Sub is nice because it is quite diverse from the pure DPS offered by Combat and Assassination, however Sub has far less sustained sustained DPS, and if you get ganked by mobs (which is HIGHLY likely from 80+) you die fast or hope to survive long enough to run away if vanish is on CD. Assassination relies on a lot of synergy between the higher end tallents, so doesn't feel complete until you are 80+.

Combat on the other hand doesn't really have any downtime compared to the other specs, a 2 CP slice and dice is enough when burning down a single mob at a time, and adrenaline rush, killing spree and blade flurry are unbeatable for nuking down groups of mobs when you get ganked. The pure burst DPS available from these abilities outweighs the survivability given by Sub. Also, combat has talents for higher armour and improved Recuperate.

I would recommend combat leveling for sure, with the added bonus it will easily compete with the DPS of Mutilate, and will beat the damage from Sub any day, so it will also serve you well in dungeons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentshank View Post
    Actually mutilate blows ass for pvp now. I would say for PvP / Leveling go sub, flat out. But for dungeons/raiding either combat or mutilate, as the sub rotation is freakishly hard to keep up with (compared to every other classes rotation in the game).

Also, leveling, if your sub you'll 1 shot almost everything with ambush. With the 4.4% health regen and +12 energy every 3 seconds from sub's recoup your downtime will literally never exist, you will never have to stop killing. You can use any weapon class you need, as backstab is generally useless for leveling and you can ambush with anything now (hemorrage will be your CP builder). Also, with the hemo glyph, you'll do +10% damage to everything forever. Also you have cheat death. And prep. And short CD on everything. And you can fucking teleport.

Combat works, but if your just starting out on a rogue you will probably find it boring as hell if you try sub ever and then try combat. It's effective but meh.

Also, anyone who tells you otherwise hasn't tried it, but assasin DOES work for leveling, its just risky because your CP builder costs so much energy.
    Last edited by Greivence; 2011-02-15 at 04:48 PM.

If you're going to level strictly via the LFG tool, I'd go combat. You shouldn't need to recup much, if at all in a dungeon.

None of the specs have downtime anymore... Combat is too tough, Ass refreshes recupe at low levels and Sub kills before they have a chance to do any dmg.

Sub kills the quickest and Combat can handle quite a few mobs
    Night Elf till I die