Thread: New to Rogue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Sub, regardless of what people will try and delude themselves into believing, just doesn't compete.
    Sub actually does do dps on par with mut/combat, but the rotation has so many differnet abilites to keep up 100% that it's to hard to be effective

For lvling and low lvl Pvp sub is the best atm. With boa gear you basically 2 shot everything. Ambush eviscerate ftw.
    Last edited by nomadwgk; 2011-02-15 at 04:55 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbojonno View Post
    Happy hunting young blade brother... and play a NE or Troll please.
    Because NE racials give you so much DPS right? The only reason NEs aren't total shite is because they have the highest base agi. If you want to go alliance then Gnomes are actually kinda good with their shortblade racial giving them 3 exp when wielding 1H swords or daggers. Even if 3 exp isn't gamebreaking it demolishes the NEs higher base agi in terms of EP. Troll is a decent choice though, atleast imo.

OT: I personally enjoy combat the most but I know from a friend that Muti is a pretty damn good spec as well. Deadly Momentum is THE talent for leveling since it allows you to keep auto-refreshing SnD and Recup, letting you plow through entire camps with no downtime at all. No rogue spec is complete faceroll any longer and sticking on target is slightly easier now that Sprint isn't on such a long CD any longer. You might wanna learn what fire looks like though. I heard a little bird singing about how the gentlemen at Blizzard are making life misery for melee DPS atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabuza View Post
    I would go outside but the sun is out there right now
    Quote Originally Posted by 3clipse View Post
    Guys, we can autoshot while moving.

Whatever else they do, doesn't matter <3

Quote Originally Posted by Crosscut View Post
    Because NE racials give you so much DPS right? The only reason NEs aren't total shite is because they have the highest base agi. If you want to go alliance then Gnomes are actually kinda good with their shortblade racial giving them 3 exp when wielding 1H swords or daggers. Even if 3 exp isn't gamebreaking it demolishes the NEs higher base agi in terms of EP. Troll is a decent choice though, atleast imo.

OT: I personally enjoy combat the most but I know from a friend that Muti is a pretty damn good spec as well. Deadly Momentum is THE talent for leveling since it allows you to keep auto-refreshing SnD and Recup, letting you plow through entire camps with no downtime at all. No rogue spec is complete faceroll any longer and sticking on target is slightly easier now that Sprint isn't on such a long CD any longer. You might wanna learn what fire looks like though. I heard a little bird singing about how the gentlemen at Blizzard are making life misery for melee DPS atm.
    Gonna have to agree with the racial choices here, even though my main since jan 2006 has been a nelf rogue. Best races for an alliance rogue are: 1. Worgen 2. Gnome, its pretty clear cut, 1% increased crit is an amazing racial, and the +3 exp gnomes get are a godsend with the f melee mentality that seems to occur so often in cata.
    As for Horde for straight dps id imagine: 1. Goblins 2. trolls, Although Orcs with their cd ap, would be a close second, I think the Troll haste cd is slightly better then the orc ap cd, but i could be mistaken.

Lvling wise I'd go for sub/mut, both for speed in questing and dungeon usefulness. Once you hit 80-82 id suggest you do nothing but mutilate to get used to it for end game raiding. Assassination is still the best dps spec for rogues post 4.0.6, I'd love to say that subtlety is a close second, or even a viable third option but everything you have to keep in mind in terms of buffs/debuffs, in addition to raid mechanics, cds, aggro, and positioning just make it terrible to actually use in a raid unless you can stand behind the boss and focus only on the rotation (ex: saurfang)

no matter what you pick, im sure topping the dps charts at 85 will help you love the class

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're looking for a simple list of the best classes for PvE Rogues, there's a handy list over on the EJ forums. I'll outline it here:

-Assassination-
    Alliance
    1.) Worgen (Crit)
    2.) Gnome (Expertise)
    3.) Night Elf (Highest base Agility)
    4.) Human
    5.) Dwarf

Horde
    1.) Goblin (Rocket stuff)
    2.) Orc (Attack Power racial)
    3.) Troll (Melee speed racial)
    4.) Blood Elf (Energy racial)
    5.) Undead

-Combat-
    Alliance
    1.) Worgen
    2.) Gnome
    3.) Human (Expertise)
    4.) Dwarf (Expertise)
    5.) Night Elf

Horde
    1.) Orc
    2.) Goblin
    3.) Troll
    4.) Blood Elf
    5.) Undead

Sorry for the long post. Also, I think Bobbojonno's comment about race selection was based on his personal preference that really doesn't have anything to do with the DPS. I share his preferences. Funny how NE Rogue was one of the most played Race/Class combos and now it's one of the lowest. Worgen rush, ho!
    "After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure."

Go sub. For leveling, just rotate between shadowstep-ambush one shots and premed, chpsht, evis. Absolutely no down time.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom guys. I really appreciate it. I literally had to start playing WoW on a fresh account so not having heirlooms really stinks. I'm doing Sub right now and I hit level 18 a bit ago. I'm thinking about trying Assassination in a few more levels.

Are Rogues still within the top three as far as dps goes?

Quote Originally Posted by Crosscut View Post
    Nope... Racials are a minor dps increase, but there are some cool things to be had in them... I recommend that people choose race based on the looks and the movement because that will determine your love of the character.... not 1% dps increase or whatever else....

Nice guess though
    Night Elf till I die
    Everything else is second best

Nope... Racials are a minor dps increase, but there are some cool things to be had in them... I recommend that people choose race based on the looks and the movement because that will determine your love of the character.... not 1% dps increase or whatever else....

Nice guess though
    ===========================
    And yet if he is into min maxing, which every rogue SHOULD be, as its our job to max our dps, than he should take there advice.
    Actually Mr. Lennon, I can imagine a world with no war, hate, religion, or violence. I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming

Quote Originally Posted by Instinctz View Post
    And yet if he is into min maxing, which every rogue SHOULD be, as its our job to max our dps, than he should take there advice.
    its my job to play a game and have fun... 1%? Really?

so u change race when racials get nerfed and buffed?

Ur a bad joke
    Night Elf till I die
    Everything else is second best

its my job to play a game and have fun... 1%? Really?

so u change race when racials get nerfed and buffed?

Ur a bad joke
    BC ---> Human
    Wrath ----> Human
    Got bored at looking at humans, either way i was going worgan in Cata, the 1% crit is just bonus, as is, as a rogue my JOB is to bring dps to the table. if i dont bring the absolute most dps that i can bring, i am doing it wrong.
    Actually Mr. Lennon, I can imagine a world with no war, hate, religion, or violence. I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming

Deleted
    i have only ever levelled as Sub. Been playing rogue since wow release 2004. With recuperate Sub has zero down time for leveling and kills mobs the fastest 1-85. Its utility, survivability, mobility and burst dmg makes it the best choice for PVP. PVE is a different story as both other specs supply higher consistent dps atm and although sub can potentially put out similar dps it is incredibly hard to do. That being said i have been playing sub PVE for quite some time now and it is getting easier. you have an opportunity to spend a lot of time leveling in the Sub spec and get a good handle on it and maybe master it.

Happy hunting young blade brother... and play a NE or Troll please.
    There's another thread about Sub rogues, but either way, with the right spec and glyphs, Sub is really easy. SnD has a 40 sec duration, in which you can easily get some Eviscerates and a refresh on Recup.

My Armory is here: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Aichi/advanced

I found this spec to be the best for buff uptime, eventhough Assa has 30% increased crit chance on Backstab and increased crit damage, with Combat subtalents i find it a lot easier.

And yes, Sub is very viable in a raid environment if you stand in the right spots and know what you're doing (talking personal experience here).

---------- Post added 2011-02-16 at 06:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Instinctz View Post
    BC ---> Human
    Wrath ----> Human
    Got bored at looking at humans, either way i was going worgan in Cata, the 1% crit is just bonus, as is, as a rogue my JOB is to bring dps to the table. if i dont bring the absolute most dps that i can bring, i am doing it wrong.
    It's also said that people play best with a race/class/spec they like the most, if you only like to do the top dps, that's your wish, but 1% crit chance is NOT always the best bonus if you hate Worgen.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconblade View Post
    There's another thread about Sub rogues, but either way, with the right spec and glyphs, Sub is really easy. SnD has a 40 sec duration, in which you can easily get some Eviscerates and a refresh on Recup.

My Armory is here: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Aichi/advanced

I found this spec to be the best for buff uptime, eventhough Assa has 30% increased crit chance on Backstab and increased crit damage, with Combat subtalents i find it a lot easier.

And yes, Sub is very viable in a raid environment if you stand in the right spots and know what you're doing (talking personal experience here).

---------- Post added 2011-02-16 at 06:12 PM ----------

It's also said that people play best with a race/class/spec they like the most, if you only like to do the top dps, that's your wish, but 1% crit chance is NOT always the best bonus if you hate Worgen.
    your absolutely right. Gnomes make a viable alternative as well. i just wish that for once Alliance wouldh ave PVE racials on par with what the horde get.

Deleted
    if i was you i would go assassination. It has better damage than combat and subtlety. you can really use Subtlety when you are questing since you have to be behind your mobs. and if you ever feel bored you can just change to subtlety and go into bgs and one shot ppl

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akritoo View Post
    if i was you i would go assassination. It has better damage than combat and subtlety. you can really use Subtlety when you are questing since you have to be behind your mobs. and if you ever feel bored you can just change to subtlety and go into bgs and one shot ppl
    I personally would never go back to Assa. For me, Sub is a great spec to raid as, and i love it. So does my guild.

I fond that sub works great until you get to mobs near 85. Unless you are really well equipped your opening burst won't drop them muchbelow half-health. And then you're off to spam SS/Hemo until you use them.

Coimbat is a more consistent DPS output across the health pool of the mob. Plus it seems easier to handle an add if you are doing the TB dailies for example, where the spiders are a little tricky to work through without picking up an add or two frequently.

So I decided to switch to Assassin and it's a lot more fun for questing (which seems faster than any other way to level right now :\ queues suck).

I'm 27 and I did 2/2 Deadly Momentum 3/3 Lethality, 3/3 Ruthless and 2/2 Quickening. I'm looking at the tree and I'm a bit unsure where to take it from here. Does anyone have a nice "take this at x" level guide? I'm trying to make sense out of what the tree seems to be good at, which is zero downtime.