Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    I've always been happy with intel

But my one AMD ehm.. their Pentium 4 competitor back then, wasnt too shabby either. Things change though so i dont know

i only buy intel these days though

15+ Year Old Account
    5-6 years ago i would say AMD.

But now Intel for sure, such a big leap ahead on AMD right now.

AMD will come back with new CPUs soon, but atm get Intel 100% sure.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    However that performance difference is so small you would never know their was a difference without looking at a benchmarking graph

That being said considering it is for a laptop I would still go with Intel as they generally consume less power and generate less heat.
    The performance difference is actually fairly significant, and very much noticeable, especially with the new sandy bridge quad cores. Intel is way ahead of AMD for laptops right now primarily because of the new sandy bridge architecture and turbo boost. It gives you more power when you need it, and less heat and power consumption when you don't.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Quote Originally Posted by vegiisan View Post
    No, I can link you to some benchmarks that show the AMD Phenom II beating the current Intel Core 2 Extreme at gaming. It depends on the resolution, AMD will equal/beat Intel at I think around 22" resolution and up - but Intel will dominate at low resolution, 19" and below.

So given the fact that, in Australia, the Phenom II is only $300 and the Core 2 is $1,500 - Intel is definitely not worth it.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom...090t-review/16
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom...090t-review/17
    etc.
    Since when is 22" and 19" a resolution? I thought that was a screen size and had absolutely zero do to with the resolution settings. I mean, I have two different size monitors and according to everything I can see, they are both set on 1440 X 900 resolution. I can't find the 22" or 19" resolution option anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by vegiisan View Post
    No, I can link you to some benchmarks that show the AMD Phenom II beating the current Intel Core 2 Extreme at gaming. It depends on the resolution, AMD will equal/beat Intel at I think around 22" resolution and up - but Intel will dominate at low resolution, 19" and below.

So given the fact that, in Australia, the Phenom II is only $300 and the Core 2 is $1,500 - Intel is definitely not worth it.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom...090t-review/16
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom...090t-review/17
    etc.
    You know he asked about laptops right? Both of those are desktop CPUs. Intel's extreme series are overpriced and not recommended for the average user. Only people who want to blow away $$$ for bragging rights get the extreme series CPUs.

For WoW performance, in both desktops and laptops, Intel is currently way ahead of AMD in both desktop and laptop performance. Contrary to what other people have said in this thread, it has nothing to do with whether or not you are using an nvidia or ATI card.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Just keep in mind that Intel is having lots of problems with the chipset for this new family. I dont know how far this is affecting the laptop motherboards, but for now I would say AMD, just to be sure that you arent going to buy something that you will need to send to a recall where you dont know when this is going to come back.

I think there is not a six core AMD processor for laptops, if you find this, I think that would be a little better than a i5, of the new generation, at least for gamming purpose.

---------- Post added 2011-02-16 at 01:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    You know he asked about laptops right? Both of those are desktop CPUs. Intel's extreme series are overpriced and not recommended for the average user. Only people who want to blow away $$$ for bragging rights get the extreme series CPUs.

For WoW performance, in both desktops and laptops, Intel is currently way ahead of AMD in both desktop and laptop performance. Contrary to what other people have said in this thread, it has nothing to do with whether or not you are using an nvidia or ATI card.
    You are right, in terms...if you make a benchmark of a AMD 6 core, and a i7 of the new family, yes, the Intel one will beat the AMD in everything, especially in price, reaching almost twice the AMD price. Now if you compare in the same price value (AMD 6 core and i5 new family) the AMD one gets a little ahead in high detail gamming performance. I have a benchmark of that, but since this is in portuguese (yes, Im from Brazil) I will not link here...
    Last edited by Renascido; 2011-02-16 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xotrem View Post
    Since when is 22" and 19" a resolution? I thought that was a screen size and had absolutely zero do to with the resolution settings. I mean, I have two different size monitors and according to everything I can see, they are both set on 1440 X 900 resolution. I can't find the 22" or 19" resolution option anywhere.
    Generally speaking,

22" wide = 1680*1050
    19" wide = 1440*900

This has to do with the manufacturing of the LCD panels, tigher panels (more pixels) is alot more expensive to make so generally most 22" screens youll see on the market sport a 1680*1050 Native resolution (tho there are some that has higher).
    With native i mean that theres no scaling going on but a "perfect?" 1:1 pixel ratio.
    If you were to run your 22" 1680*1050 monitor in say 1440*900 the screen would be "fussy" due to pixel scaling.

Soo in theory you are correct the inches has nothing to do with the resolution per say, BUT since "most" monitors have an native resolution where it operates the best that is usually bound to the inch...well, you get the point
    Last edited by Banshee; 2011-02-16 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
    This has to do with the manufacturing of the LCD panels, tigher panels (more pixels) is alot more expensive to make so generally most 22" screens youll see on the market sport a 1680*1050 Native resolution (tho there are some that has higher).
    It has got more to do with ocal markets than anything related to manufacturing.

Here in Finland you can not find lower resolution than 1920x1080 panels starting from 21" unless you're looking into special cheap-ass section of the store. I just picked up new secondary monitor to replace my old one 3 months ago, and went to local computer store aiming for "cheapest possible monitor with at least 1680x1050 resolution and 20" size". Cheapest they had (~140€) was 21.5" FullHD Benq sitting on my desk now, the store didn't even have any models below FullHD in stock...
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.