1. #1

    [Shadow Orb Power] buff... What is it and where does it come from?

    I'm a lvl 72 Shadow Priest and sometimes (not always) a purple circle appears in my buffs, called [Shadow Orb Power], which "increases Shadow Orb damage".

    I don't understand what it is and most importantly - where is it coming from... I'm very sorry if this is something obvious, but please explain because I'm confused. I've examined every talent and spell, but cannot find anything.

  2. #2
    Its mainly a tooltip error.
    What it actually do, is increase your periodic shadow damage.

  3. #3
    So where is it comming from and why sometimes it's there and sometimes not?

  4. #4
    Think it has to do with the Shadow Priest Mastery (I'm a lock, so I wont say that I'm 100%).

    Here is the wowhead link:
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=77486

  5. #5
    When shadow orbs are consumed, you also gain a buff to ure periodic damage.
    Even though I cant say this 100% sure, I think its so it would be more tempting now going for dots after a shadow orb consuming.
    It allways come after u consume shadow orbs, if it dont show its a bug, ticket blizz

  6. #6
    Ah, so it's a buff from consuming Shadow Orbs. Hmmm...

  7. #7
    The shadow orbs orbiting around your character ( up to a maximum of 3 ) are gained from casting shadow spells if I'm not wrong. These orbs give a boost in damage to your next mind blast. After the orbs are "consumed" for the mindblast, you gain a buff that gives you 10%(?) periodic shadow dmg buff. This 10% dot buff is a red orb icon.

  8. #8
    Shadow orbs will increase the damage done by Mind Blast when consumed, when consumed they will also buff you with Empowered Shadows which increases periodic damage by 10% and lasts 14secs, you should maintain this buff if possible for the entire fight. Every time you cast MB with an orb, it will be refreshed. Avoid casting MB without having an orb up.

    I would not wait for 3 orbs up for MB, if they are, bonus, but its a DPS loss to wait for 3 due to the RNG

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiggles View Post
    The shadow orbs orbiting around your character ( up to a maximum of 3 ) are gained from casting shadow spells if I'm not wrong. These orbs give a boost in damage to your next mind blast. After the orbs are "consumed" for the mindblast, you gain a buff that gives you 10%(?) periodic shadow dmg buff. This 10% dot buff is a red orb icon.
    I see, but why does it say "increases Shadow Orb damage"?

  10. #10
    Dreadlord Ecstatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Between the sacred silence and sleep
    Posts
    863
    You're 72, you get mastery at 80. It has nothing to do with mastery unless it's bugged in which case I do not know.
    Currently playing: |FFXIV: A Realm Reborn| |Everquest Next: Landmark| |Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft|

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevian Moore View Post
    I see, but why does it say "increases Shadow Orb damage"?
    Tooltip error

    ---------- Post added 2011-02-16 at 01:12 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecstatic View Post
    You're 72, you get mastery at 80. It has nothing to do with mastery unless it's bugged in which case I do not know.
    Mastery increase the bonus.

  12. #12
    Go into your talents, and click on show summary, that will tell you about shadow orbs, which is our mastery

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevian Moore View Post
    I see, but why does it say "increases Shadow Orb damage"?
    More mastery will mean the orbs increase the damage from MB further. But, you really dont need to worry about for some time.

  14. #14
    One skill in the shadow-tree increased the chance of orbs to procc - this talent is bugged and let orbs procc regardless of mastery and lvl 80.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
    Shadow orbs will increase the damage done by Mind Blast when consumed, when consumed they will also buff you with Empowered Shadows which increases periodic damage by 10% and lasts 14secs, you should maintain this buff if possible for the entire fight. Every time you cast MB with an orb, it will be refreshed. Avoid casting MB without having an orb up.

    I would not wait for 3 orbs up for MB, if they are, bonus, but its a DPS loss to wait for 3 due to the RNG

    Now I understand. But still, why is there no in-game info regarding this Red Orb buff? I mean, if I had no forum access, how would I ever figure out that it comes from consuming Shadow Orbs? :-(

  16. #16
    Well, if you read the mastery description at lvl 80+, u would been able to figure it out.
    I tested it when I were a bit unsure :P

    ---------- Post added 2011-02-16 at 02:15 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Revic View Post
    One skill in the shadow-tree increased the chance of orbs to procc - this talent is bugged and let orbs procc regardless of mastery and lvl 80.
    Proc chance dont have anything to with mastery.
    You can have shadow orbs proc from lvl 10 when u get talent trees (also tested)

  17. #17
    Field Marshal Setokaiba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevian Moore View Post
    Now I understand. But still, why is there no in-game info regarding this Red Orb buff? I mean, if I had no forum access, how would I ever figure out that it comes from consuming Shadow Orbs? :-(
    you kidding? right?
    if you want to know more about such stuff don't rush and click everything ASAP.

    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#b

    It's not the mastery, it is shadow talent tree "thing", go to talent tree and click on "view summaries", then you can get full description of your shadow spec.

    *** Shadow priest gets shadow orbs at lvl 10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •