Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Thumbs up Rift is good for WoW

This isn't a QQ, not in the least bit. I am just tired of seeing people post "Rift: WoW Killer"

Being WoW players we should HOPE that Rift succeeds. If it does, it FINALLY creates real competition for Blizzard and we then, might actually have customer service above the level of a 3rd world country, and bugs fixed right away.

Anyone else agree with me? I mean, its capitalism, any competition is ALWAYS good for the consumers.

I like your PoV.
    +1

RIFT is not even in the same market as WoW.

Just started with the RIFT beta, and it is in the OMG this has so many choices, wtf do I do - this game is not for noobs phase.

WoW is now the sausage factory for MMORPGs, RIFT is all new, they have changed the whole concept of tank, healer, group etc...

The most RIFT will do is fragment the player base into the sausage factory players in WoW and the specialty players in RIFT.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

However positive the message of this topic is, it still should have been posted in the off-topic/video games forum.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I generally agree, and don't particularly care for either game (having played WoW for a long time, and briefly dabbling in the Rift beta - unsatisfied), this really should be in the Video Games section, as disclaimed in the forum. Your opinions dissenting from the mother ship won't get zapped there.

It's still a social MMORPG. How groups are formed and tank/healing/dps rolls are done have nothing to do with that fact.

I just think that if Rift becomes successful, Blizzard will have to step up to the 21st century if they want to compete.

All along they have been riding on their monopoly. When is the last time you have called.... HP and waited over an hour to talk to someone? That wouldn't happen because HP has to compete with Dell, ASUS, etc...

Hopefully the Monopoly will go away and we will have ourselves 2 really exciting games.

---------- Post added 2011-02-16 at 01:00 PM ----------

See the number of posts I have? Does it make you feel like a king to point out the fact that I posted in the wrong spot? Big friggen deal.

Deleted
    You must be refering to the mechanics of the free market, not capitalism.

While I agree that they're a bit slow to fix some bugs at times, I really don't understand how you can think their customer service is so terrible. I've played quite a few MMO's and WoW's is definitely not even close to being the worst and possibly one of the best considering the shear number of people they deal with.

Or if you don't like WoW's customer service you can stop playing. Why play a game just to bitch about it? The reason why the tickets take so long to answer is because everyone and their brother has to put in a dumb ticket about how so and so is ignoring them or the accidentally bought the wrong piece of gear with VPs because they weren't paying attention to the set bonus. Seriously have no problem with Rift doing well either. I'm just tired of hearing about people quitting to play it. No one cares. Go play a game you actually like.

Blizzard's incoming Titan Project would like to have a word with Rift.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see where all this "Blizzard treats their players like crap" comes from.

In all my experiences dealing with Blizzard I have to say they have superb costumer service. And they listen to their players. That is why we have hotfixes and buffing and nerfing and so on and so forth, due to player feedback. If they "didn't care" about the people in the game then they wouldn't actively be on forums and actively trying to fix things.

That being said, not everybody can be satisfied with the game. There will always be people who will complain.
    I for one have been satisfied and happy with the game and I've been playing for five years.

There is no need for competition for Blizzard to better its costumer service because the costumer service is already superb.

Also, Rift's community is just like WoW...there's also a lot of annoying whiners.

I see where you are coming from with the splitting of the player base. Being a large social game, you have to have a large social group in order to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by tubbytubaman View Post
    This isn't a QQ, not in the least bit. I am just tired of seeing people post "Rift: WoW Killer"

Being WoW players we should HOPE that Rift succeeds. If it does, it FINALLY creates real competition for Blizzard and we then, might actually have customer service above the level of a 3rd world country, and bugs fixed right away.

Anyone else agree with me? I mean, its capitalism, any competition is ALWAYS good for the consumers.
    WoW already has a lot of competition.

See the number of posts I have? Does it make you feel like a king to point out the fact that I posted in the wrong spot? Big friggen deal.
    Be sure to ask the mods that.

Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post
    I don't see where all this "Blizzard treats their players like crap" comes from.

In all my experiences dealing with Blizzard I have to say they have superb costumer service. And they listen to their players. That is why we have hotfixes and buffing and nerfing and so on and so forth.
    I say that by the fact that my GM ticket can sometimes take over a week to be answered. That is PURELY because they will not hire enough GMs to account for the number of players. Calling blizzard can result in a wait of over an hour, sometimes 2. I mean, by today's standards, that is pitiful.

And they only do it because they know that they have a monopoly on the MMO industry and can get away with it.

Deleted
    More likely they might want to keep their game #1 and finally hasten so much posponed bug fixes, additions (hi dance studio) and renewal of obsolete parts (remmember when they told us that updating old player models is on their list?)
    I don't have problems with support, just the game feels a little static lately.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    RIFT is not even in the same market as WoW.

Just started with the RIFT beta, and it is in the OMG this has so many choices, wtf do I do - this game is not for noobs phase.

WoW is now the sausage factory for MMORPGs, RIFT is all new, they have changed the whole concept of tank, healer, group etc...

The most RIFT will do is fragment the player base into the sausage factory players in WoW and the specialty players in RIFT.
    And I agree with this completely. Rift is overly complex where it doesn't need to be and this will alienate a lot of 'new school' MMO players who have really only played WoW. I also don't see how Rift will be balanced at all in the end game, there are just too many variables.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyotoole View Post
    WoW already has a lot of competition.
    Yes and no. Their competition is like Albert Pujols worrying about losing his job to a high school player. Sure there is lots of competition, but NONE of them are in the league of WoW, Rift just may be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say that by the fact that my GM ticket can sometimes take over a week to be answered. That is PURELY because they will not hire enough GMs to account for the number of players. Calling blizzard can result in a wait of over an hour, sometimes 2. I mean, by today's standards, that is pitiful.

And they only do it because they know that they have a monopoly on the MMO industry and can get away with it.
    You have to take into account how you aren't the only person being served. There are an estimated 12-13 million players. A lot of them also probably are experiencing problems. So wait times are to be expected. Its like being at the DMV. You wait for so long to just get in front because there are literally so many people who need attention, etc. who were there first.

People just need to learn patience.

Also the last time I opened a GM ticket, which was two days ago, it only took them 5 hours to respond.

I honestly hope that it will stimulate competition however i fear that Rift will have a surge of early players and then will lose a majority and will only have a small dedicated following such as guild wars has.

I think the only thing that will kill wow, is wow itself or blizz's new project Titan.