Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Not going to say anything bad or good about Rift. Personally i was not impressed.

Why is everyone so hostile towards a game? You all act like it affects you even if you don't play it. See a thread about Rift? Tired of opening them to say 'game is shit'? Then stop opening them. But wait, this is the internet.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    people who are unhappy with WoW will claim anything that makes them feel better about not liking WoW........this is nothing new

people who are fan boys/girls of WoW will do anything to proclaim WoW is the greatest game ever created and everything else is inferior....this is nothing new

threads like these are humorous and should be taken as so

Why is wow the generic cheeseburger and rift is the bigmac? Rift is the most generic game ever. >>

Quote Originally Posted by kanzei View Post
    WoW is to cheeseburger as Rift is to Big Mac

They aren't the same. Rift is no more a "copy" of WoW than a Big Mac is a copy of a cheeseburger. Sure, the cheeseburger came first, but nobody has a patent on beef and cheese.

WoW is to bicycle as Rift is to a Harley Davidson

I like this one too. Not only is Rift far more sophisticated and grown up, it's far more polished and complex too. Yeah, they both have 2 wheels and are used for travel, but the similarities start to break down after that.

Not beating up on WoW, but tired of the argument that WoW is being copied. It isn't. It's being improved upon. WoW broke the mold, but now mmo's are maturing and expanding.
    I know I'm being trolled here, but I'll bite.

If Rift is so mature and advanced, why would you post this on World of Warcraft forums? If it's so mature, shouldn't Rift have it's own community you can share this mind-blowing analogy with?

Improving things for improvements sake often becomes superfluous bloat and a disservice to the eventual end user. And when the core majority of your ideas are taken as "inspiration" from another source, it makes you question how many truly unique ideas you are capable of innovating on your own.

Personally i hate big macs....they put them together so lazily. that its like im eating a salad of a burger

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    Serious question, what do you do in Rift besides quest and close rifts?
    Rift = Oblivion, without the awesomeness.
    Closing portals...and all.

I played the Rift beta. The class system was kinda cool. However there was only 1 class that I played that I actually had fun playing and that was a Bard. Maybe it's the musician in me but having a carebear stare of music notes coming out of my chest and then pulling a vuvuzela of doom out of my ass to kill the mob was rather awesome.

Now the down side, they copied just about everything off of wow. The enemy graphics for the lil mobs you kill look like a 6 year old with down syndrome drew them. Nothing new with crafting (its exactly like wow). No addons. Didn't like the UI. Killing rifts constantly gets old, especially when they put high level rifts in low level zones. "Hey, awesome its a rift, woot! OMGHAXZORPWNROFLSTOMP... yeah this game sucks."

Why do I want to play a game that is exactly like wow and have to go back and level again and relevel professions and do all of that, when I already have maxed out toons in a more polished game?

I don't... Rift fails.

Bring on SWTOR!
    A glimpse inside the meaning, leaves me wanting for the stare.

WoW is to Fable

Rift is to D&D

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by Aelinn View Post
    Here's an analogy for you:

Regular threads are to cheeseburgers as WoW vs. Rift threads are to brussels sprouts. Cheeseburgers are good, but brussels sprouts are stupid and I hate them and they make me throw up.

I like you. A lot.

I'm getting sick of those threads..
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kanzei View Post
    Not only is Rift far more sophisticated and grown up, it's far more polished
    I laughed so hard

I like how everyone is complaining about rift on WoW forums, and at the top and bottom of this page there are two giant rift ads.

Rift is a copy of WoW.

WoW was a copy of Everquest.

Basically every single MMORPG copied Ultima Online in some way.

News flash: Nothing in any of the games you play is really "original" anymore. It's all a derivative.

i just don't get why trion calls rift a "next gen" MMO, there is nothing to make it such.

rift is to wow as aion is / was to wow , everyone hypes it , but it falls incredibly short

if a game wants to compete with wow they need to come up with more imaginative races ,elves dwarves and blue ppl wont cut it
    "lol uh oh , spelling correction, the sure sign someone is losing an argument "

Quote Originally Posted by istheshiz View Post
    Rift = Oblivion, without the awesomeness.
    Closing portals...and all.
    first time i played i thought you had to hunt down and close all the portals you could find, 67 hours later i discovered there was a fast travel function.

After i chose rogue, then started throwing kinfey fireballs as a skill, i thought, WOW this shatters my concepts of Rogue, AND i can change into a fox too? AMAZING! I can get combo points on a rogue form yards away form my target!
    Then I just decided to race change my hunter to goblin and pew pew as survival.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Propainn View Post
    Rift is a copy of WoW.

News flash: Nothing in any of the games you play is really "original" anymore. It's all a derivative.
    I won't go as far to say everything, but I do feel that the creative world (books, music, movies, games) in general has sunken into a deep slump. Sure, there's room for innovation, but everyone is so busy drooling over their latest clone of whatever that we won't be seeing it anytime soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift is a copy of WoW.

Pours one out for Meridian 59.
    "Work is da poop! NO MORE!" - Disgruntled Dragonmaw Peon

Rift is a copy of WoW.

Now here is someone that really knows what they are talking about. Couldn't agree more. EQ basically took UO, made it with advanced (at the time) graphics and added all their new ideas. WoW took EQ, made it with advanced (at the time) graphics, added all their new ideas. Rift, and probably a dozen other games have or are currently trying to do the same thing with WoW. And it's no diffierent than any other product in the world. Borrow (copy?) the strat, improve the product, reap the rewards.