Thread: Holy PvP?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Holy PvP?

Is this even viable? I wanted to try it out, but I'm not sure what a decent spec is... mainly, do I even take revelations for serenity, or keep chastise available?

mainly doing just random bg's, so yes. i know. "it doesn't matter anyway"

any input is nice - on spec, specific talents, love/hate the spec in pvp, its pathetic/good whatever.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy pvp is very interesting to play. The extra CC with Chastise can make it very powerful in a 2's or 3's situation.

Unfortunately with all the buffs to disc to improve survivability and the mana concerns that holy pvp has it almost certainly 2nd best compared to disc.

This is the spec I was running pre 4.0.6 - when you would get focused alot. I unfortunately spent more time in angel form (nooo glyph nerf) than undead ^^

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfZfurMRzrofzohb:0azroq

about the same spec I was considering...

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bbZfurMRzrofzohr0o:moarqV

got imp psychic scream and 1/2 twisted faith instead of twin disc... yeah it's a 6% healing thing... but i'd rather be able to scream warriors when their zerker is still on cd and everyone else just 4 seconds sooner... and the free hit sounds nice
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

I played a few hunter / holy priest teams, with well coordinated CC it can work out very well. I was effectivly locked out the entire game by this CC rotation.

Scatter Shot -> Trap -> Chastise -> Fear -> Silencing Shot -> Scatter (repeat)

Wow. that was crazy - just did nearly 3 mil heals - topped the charts... next closest was 1.5 mil or so. and yeah... I have zero pvp gear. lol

yea holy is really fun when bads allow you to sit back and heal.

my only problem with holy atm is it relies TO much on holy concentration for regen. and there is clearly not enough spirit on gear right now for a decent amount of regen.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatedPriest View Post
    yea holy is really fun when bads allow you to sit back and heal.

my only problem with holy atm is it relies TO much on holy concentration for regen. and there is clearly not enough spirit on gear right now for a decent amount of regen.

actually i was focused quite a bit... at least by this one feral/rogue combo, always seemed to be attacking me lol. can't imagine how long I'll survive once i get some gear. in the meantime lollightwell, renew through stuns and desperate prayer/GS make great life saving cd's. picking up the PoM glyph will help me out, too.

Deleted
    Holy is fun for PvP - the speedy shield thing, ability to remove poisons, chastise, desperate prayer and a few other tricks make it pretty decent.

I used to be Disc for PvP but switched away at Cata release and haven't switched back - but I fully intend trying it out.

Mana is a huge issue for me...assuming you want to heal others you really need to use flash heal and greater heal...and this burns you out very, very quickly...the normal heal spell just doesn't have the bandwidth to keep up with damage...nowhere near. I don't know if this is fully intended by blizzard - I can see their point for wanting to make healing spell selection important in PvE...but it seems with suffer a lot in PvP for it.

Survivability is also another issue - we are a bit more slippery now...and sometimes we get away...but more often than not, if someone targets you - and everyone on the opposing side will be trying...you're going to die. If a group targets you, you'll die very quickly....if just a single person jumps you - you'll try to keep yourself alive, you may even waste mana on trying to damage them...but realistically, if you can't get away you might as well sit down...because you wont have as far to fall.

I love healing...I really do...but going in to a BG as shadow is like a breath of fresh air....no mana problems, able to take a few knocks, able to punch back if someone hits you.

I hear that Disc has more survivability than holy and fewer mana problems...so I'm looking forward to goiving it a spin.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm playing Holy PvP in both battlegrounds and Arena. Most of all it's fun, and I do think it is viable. The biggest issue is mana. The Cataclysm healing philosophy is all fine and well in PvE, but in PvP (and especially Arena) Heal is just too slow, and to easy to interrupt, so you're mostly casting Flash Heal and Greater Heal, with Serendipity (and Serenity, if you take Revelations) which drains your mana. When playing against an aggressive comp with a Disc Priest (mana burn) you're out of mana before you can even realize it.
    But as I said, it's very fun. Chastice, Body and Soul, Lightwell, Leap of Faith, most tools in your spellbook have a use. I've never really liked Arena before, but now I think it's very fun.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

i have a question for you ynna how are you gemming and chanting? spirit?
    whats is you combat regen?

I Play Holy PvP in Arena/BG's (non-rated)

my philosophy is: Healer in PvE/Tank in PvP.

desperate prayer and guardian spirit are you're best "oh no" tools, Lightwell is nice especially against a rogue or a warr. Mana does seem to be a bit of an issue but it just forces you to play more offensively than defensive.

it's always funny to see the 'damage taken' charts after a 2v2 match. I take 90% of the damage (no joke)

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a question for you Ynna how are you gemming and chanting? Spirit?
    Whats is you combat regen?
    Currently gemming mostly Intellect, with Haste and Spirit to fit socket bonuses, but since the more PvP gear I get, the less mana regen I have I might change to more Spirit.
    I'd also like to address Revelations. I think an instant heal is way too good to not take in PvP. I took the talent, and I Chastice between refreshing Chakras and I have a macro that cancels my Chakra: Serenity and casts Chastice.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Currently gemming mostly Intellect, with Haste and Spirit to fit socket bonuses, but since the more PvP gear I get, the less mana regen I have I might change to more Spirit.
    I'd also like to address Revelations. I think an instant heal is way too good to not take in PvP. I took the talent, and I Chastice between refreshing Chakras and I have a macro that cancels my Chakra: Serenity and casts Chastice.

...yeah I'm thinking this is true - not only is it an instant heal, but it increases your crit chance by 25% on them for 6 sec too...that's pretty good.

well are you guys considering state of mind? because jumping in out of chakra can be frustrating when it on cd

well are you guys considering state of mind? because jumping in out of chakra can be frustrating when it on cd
    not enough points to spread around tbh... what were you going to drop for it?

edit: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bbZfurMRzrkf0ohr0o
    about to try that out. really like the hit talent/scream in shadow, and i'm still able to get everything i "need" in holy. it'd be nice to grab some more stuff in disc, but if it means gearing hit it's probably not worth it.

what raid frames/name plate addons do you guys use for pvp healing? I'm extremely angry at tidyplates for not clearly distinguishing between friend and foe when I have both up...
    Last edited by fizikz; 2011-02-18 at 06:52 AM.

Deleted
    If you look at Priest distribution, you'll see that there are about no PvP Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by trebonius View Post
    If you look at Priest distribution, you'll see that there are about no PvP Holy Priest
    doesn't mean you can't make it work or have fun with it.

edit: that's above 2200 rating.... im talking BG's here...and not only that, unrated ones.... lol not very helpful.
    Last edited by fizikz; 2011-02-19 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trebonius View Post
    honestly tho i feel like ppl are just stuck in there ways to even consider going holy to pvp. it like that with warriors.....almost ever single one will tell you that arms is pvp and fury is pve. yet they don't want to acknowledge it was the devs intent to mix those lines up in cata. holy is imo very viable to pvp now in cata it just takes some getting use to, to not play like a disc priest.

Holy is a very different play style then disc. The big differnce is cooldowns. Disc has several defensive cooldowns (including a silence immune) while holy has a lot of utility talents that can be easily countered.

With the nerf to chastise (because for some reason it was so OP, we didnt even see a lot of priest as holy with 2k+ rating) its has become slightly less attractive. However with the change to chakra it has become delicious.

The cool thing about holy word: chastise is that it doesn't share a cooldown (last time I checked maybe it was changed) with other holy words. So you can stay in Chakra: serenity for that extra instant cast self heal that cost less then Heal and when you need a CC you can do a cancel aura macro and there you go! Holy word chastise for you!. Body and soul also helps with combined with the 4pc. The problem like I stated before is the lack of defensive cooldowns. If only inner focus silence immune could also be applied to holy...

Now with chastise and serenity still in mind and not sharing a cooldown I would go with this spec: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bbZfurMRzrkf0oa0rVq (basically 8 filler points as none of the rest of the talents are game breaking) or some type of variation.
    Just to sum it up. Holy has a lot more utility and control but less defense while disc is the opposite, a lot of good defensive spells not as much control.

Edit: Stat wise for holy: Spell pen/hit cap > spirit/intel > crit > mastery > haste.
    Last edited by zito; 2011-02-19 at 01:59 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

zito friend, you should consider dropping one point from twin disciplines and go 1 into twisted faith. voila you are now hit capped for pvp so no wasted gems slots/chants on hit!

and since the 2% you will lose from twin disciplines is multiplicative you wont notice it gone at all.

this is how im playing atm:
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bbbZfu...hb0o:ao0rVz0MV

i chose mental agility over twin disciplines because my main problem as holy is mana atm.
    i chose glyph of flash heal because with holy word: serenity 25% crit it is a life saver!!

i tend to gear with this in mind:
    Resil>INt/Spi>Haste>Mastery>Crit

resil - from gear should get you to over 3k which is where you wanna be.
    Int - i dont even have to (40int gems in all red slots no exceptions)
    spirit - holy concentration (this tends to be what i gem/chant for the purple 20int-20spirit is my fav)
    haste - sexy
    mastery - sexy
    Last edited by PlatedPriest; 2011-02-19 at 05:19 AM.