Thread: Prot Tips

Prot Tips

Hello

Recently due to a tank shortage in my guild I have to swap from Holy to Prot for a while. I have looked around the internet and there is still some things I am not sure about. For example, what kind of stat prio is it for Prot? What do I reforge to? Should I get hit cap and expertise soft cap? Cooldown rotations. Just the general every day stuff. If it helps, we are at 11/12 progression with just Nef left and starting fresh on all raids tomorow.

Thanks for help

Deleted
    mastery>parry/dodge rating>stamina>expertise>hit for raiding.
    After you're unhittable; miss+parry+dodge+block chance is at 102,4% or over, switch mastery for dodge or parry.

Try to keep your parry and dodge rating as equal as possible.

Aim for maximal avoidance, vengeance is enough to do threat even if you're sitting at 0 hit 10 expertise (from seal of truth glyph).

Forgot to ask, which meta gem? Shield Block or 2% armor?

10+ Year Old Account
    Here are some basics that might help:

Spec & Glyphs:
    0/32/09
    This is a standard high-threat spec, very useful for main tanking bosses, it also allows you great strength when OTing during certain situations. There is one Major, and three Minor slots open for you to insert whichever glyphs you prefer. The others are pretty standard. Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous is used over Crusader Strike for AoE threat on bosses where you might be tanking lots of adds (Magmaw, Maloriak).

Stats:
    When looking at gear I keep several things in mind:
    Avoidance > Health > Threat
    Which can equate into something like:
    Mastery > Dodge / Parry (depending which you require more of, and which is closest for diminishing returns) > Stam > Hit/Exp

Cooldowns:
    Divine Protection: -20% damage taken, 1 minute cooldown.
    Use this often, the short cooldown is great and there to be consistantly used.

Ardent Defender: -30% damage taken, 3 minute cooldown, restores Paladin to 15% health if brought to 0% while active.
    Save this as long as you possibly can. If your health begins to dip below 20%, pop this badboy immediately. You don't want to use it needlessly, because it will save you life if done properly.

Guardian of the Ancient Kings: -50% damage taken, 3 minute cooldown.
    This is our strongest cooldown, save it for the big heavy-hitter abilities.

Lay on Hands: 100% heal, 10 minute cooldown.
    If you're on the verge of death, and Ardent Defender is already used, don't think twice about hitting LoH.

MT Basics:
    When agroing a boss, you'll want to do something along these lines: Divine Plea (+3 holy power), and run in using Judgement. This will hopefully proc Sacred Duty which will make your Shield of the Righteous a 100% crit. This will give you huge instant threat.
    The basic rotation is: Crusader Strike - Filler - Crusader Strike - Filler - Crusader Strike - Shield of the Righteous.
    Your "Filler" spells are Judgement, Avenger's Shield, and Holy Wrath. Remember, for damage and threat the order would be Avenger's Shield > Judgement > Holy Wrath. That is ofcourse for single target. For AoE Holy Wrath is superiour. Also for AoE you'll replace Crusader Strike with Hammer of Righteousness.

Once you've established high threat, you can begin alternating Shield of the Righteous with Word of Glory. This heal will do about 20-30,000 depending on your buffs and a crit. Any overhealing is collected into an absorbtion shield. IE: If you heal for 25,000, yet you were down only 10,000, you will gain a buff from Guarded by the Light which will be a shield for 15,000 damage lasting six seconds. This will help healers, especially when you see a strong hit coming within the next five seconds.

Gems/Enchants:
    Currently at this stage avoidance and mitigation are the weakpoints. Keeping that in mind, we must be cautious as to how we modify our gear.
    Blue: Puissant Dream Emerald (+20 mastery, +30 stam), Solid Ocean Sapphire (+60 stam)
    Red: Defender's Demonseye (+20 parry, +30 stam)
    Yellow: Fractured Amberjewel (+40 mastery)
    Meta: The meta gem has been nerfed pretty badly, meaning now if your armour based damage reduction is higher than your block mitigation Austere Shadowspirit Diamond (+81 stam, +2% armour). However, if you're gear is well enough where your block mitigation is higher than your armour damage reduction Eternal Shadowspirit Diamond (+81 stam, +1% block value) is better.

Head: Arcanum of the Earthen Ring (+90 stam, +35 dodge)
    Shoulder: Greater Inscription of Unbreakable Quartz (+75 stam, +25 dodge)
    Cloak: Enchanting: Enchant Cloak - Protection (+250 armour)
    Chest: Enchanting: Enchant Chest - Greater Stamina (+75 stam)
    Wrist: Leatherworking: Draconic Embossment - Stamina (+195 stam, LW only) or Enchanting: Enchant Bracer - Dodge (+50 dodge)
    Gloves: Enchanting: Enchant Gloves - Greater Mastery (+65 mastery) or Leatherworking: Heavy Savage Armor Kit (+44 stam)
    Legs: Charscale Leg Armor (+145 stam, +55 agi)
    Boots: Enchanting: Enchant Boots - Mastery (+50 mastery) or Leatherworking: Heavy Savage Armor Kit (+44 stam)
    Shield: Enchanting: Enchant Shield - Blocking (+40 block rating)
    Weapon: Enchanting: Enchant Weapon - Landslide (proc +1,000 ap) or Enchanting: Enchant Weapon - Mending (proc 1,000 heal)

Macros:
    Divine Plea on/off - Useful for triggering to get 3 holy power, than removing to heal yourself with WoG
    /cast Divine Plea
    /cancelaura Divine Plea

Divine Protection + trinkets
    /cast [esists] Divine Protection
    /use 13
    /use 14

Divine Shield on/off - Good for breaking out of CC effects
    /cast Divine Shield
    /cancelaura Divine Shield

Update 1: Added gems/enchants
    Update 2: Added useful macros
    Last edited by Calon; 2011-02-17 at 01:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Millennía View Post
    Forgot to ask, which meta gem? Shield Block or 2% armor?
    2% armor. Without the numbers to provide you, all I can say is that it will provide much more mitigation over all.

Deleted
    Armor meta is better until you reach 30% parry and dodge combined plus >50% block chance.

Also note you should change glyphs according to the fight. In single target fights focused shield glyph is great, also swith out HoTR glyph for Judgement.

I prefer using WoG solely and I'm running with this build: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZGrhsRddRoucbh:0oc0VR. Pretty solid all around build, also manages aoe tanking by switching glyph of judgement and focused shield. One point in Hallowed Ground makes Consecration mana cost bearable.

Deleted
    If you want to heal yourself fast but don't want to generate all the holy power via Crusader strike/Hammer of the Righteous. Divine plea generates 3 holy power from Shield of the Templar, which is good but comes with that damn 50% healing reduce. So here's a small macro to activate divine plea, press it again and it'll remove the effect.

#showtooltip Divine Plea
    /cancelaura Divine Plea
    /cast Divine Plea

10+ Year Old Account
    Except that Consecration is too weak that it shouldn't even be considered usable. Again, don't have the math in front of me, but if you check out Maintankadin, Theck's posted the numbers and then some there.

lets see
    if you havent hardcapped block, then get mastery, lots of it
    and consencration is not useless, its a great ability, and its alot of fun, use it.
    Tip from me: once you have threat spam WoG. yourself is prio, then you can use it to offheal, it all really adds up

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurzon View Post
    Except that Consecration is too weak that it shouldn't even be considered usable. Again, don't have the math in front of me, but if you check out Maintankadin, Theck's posted the numbers and then some there.
    It actually weighs in pretty heavily on the cata thread he has written

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...wtopic#p593309

However it is not realistic to sustain it in any sort of rotation and it is less than ideal to put any points into hallowed ground as there are a lot of decent talents to invest in as it is.

That said I have removed consecration off my bars, the only two situations I can see it having any merit in are the add nuke phases on maloriak and the first couple of groups of trash in BoT.

10+ Year Old Account
    Consecration only has use if you can set it down, and lure mobs into it. It is not viable in any sense to be used multiple times, neither in threat nor mana efficiency.
    Last edited by Calon; 2011-02-17 at 02:21 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calon View Post
    Consecration only has use if you can set it down, and lure mobs into it. It is not viable in any sense to be used multiple times, neither in threat nor mana efficiency.
    It is basically one of those abilities that in practice on multiple mobs is effective.

However in practice you are better off using HotR or HoW. Neither which require you to squander talent points that can be better spent elsewhere.