Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

are death knight tanks viable?

so after a long breake, alot of school work and only playing very casual bg grinding when in the mood I desided to go back to tanking on my Death knight. I heard from some of my friends that Death knights and druids sucks. ( my friends are not good at this game ) so I wanted to hear the forum, is Death knights a okay tank right now or are we at the lower layers of the food chain?

Deleted
    Blood Death knight is the best tank atm and so far imo, 6/13 hc 10man experience, proper usage of deathstrike is the key to success.

*Also, your friends are terribly wrong.
    Last edited by mmoc757086741e; 2011-02-17 at 12:27 AM.

Don't listen to people you know aren't good. Death Knights are great tanks right now. So are Druids. They're not any lower on the food chain, or any other such nonsense.

Deleted
    Dk tanks are through the roof IMO at the moment , blood shields are insane.

DK are doing well. As for druid I dunno but heard few healers saying they were having some hard time with feral tanking at Heroics beginnin (nobody should have trouble with a geared tank especially with dgn buff)

10+ Year Old Account
    They are definitely amazing now! Death strike/blood shields is onomnomnomnom.
    - Ezidran

As others have commented, Death Knights are excellent tanks. In fact, my biggest problem with being a DK tank has been AoE healing aggro; you think I'm kidding, but I've accidentally pulled aggro on Maloriak and Nef's adds via self-healing. It's honestly my biggest issue with the class. It has a wonderful toolkit both offensively and defensively, has a nice skill curve, and on the whole I think is just fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you know someone is bad...don't listen to them. I have done 10/12 pretty easily (guild raids at a relaxed pace) and i know Blood Legion's dk tanked heroic Nef for a US 1st. Soooo....ya we are most definitely viable.

^ what previous poster said...ive pulled healing agro on nefs adds while tanking ony several times.

15+ Year Old Account
    Of course they're viable. That's a silly question. I think what you're really asking is if they're "optimal".

"Optimal" performance only truly affects the top of the top, so if you're not pushing cutting edge content with minimal gear and going for world firsts, any of the tanks should be more than suitable for your needs.

Deleted
    thanks for the responses. I will begin tanking then again then xD.

"Once a tank, always a tank"

Blood DK's are ridiculously strong ... I can solo many heroic bosses with mine.

In raid we're great, just less dominant. But in heroics, I always heal more then my healer, I never use cc anymore ... unless I wanna do an instance WITHOUT a healer.

Mkay, my sig just below, check out his crappy gear score and hp and avoidance right thar. That little red bastard tanked argaloth 10man yesterday and it still packing dps bracers from HoO.

Dks are fine, and FUN ;D

Deleted
    There's no tank I'd rather heal than a Blood DK.

DK tanks are very good tanks, though I still hate healing them. They're easy to heal, but I hate healing them. I don't know why, I just do.

my guild has 2 DK tanks, a warrior, and bear tank, and tbh all of them are just fine, im not sure whos easier to heal, or who takes less damage, but nobody ever has complaints when a certain class is tanking a certain task.

I'd say DKs are perfectly viable to tank

Some bad players are going along the line of No Shield = Bad Tank.
    Which is an extremely bad way to compare tanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Deleted
    Lol. Blood DKs have always been viable.

Deleted
    As a Warrior Tank my experience is that Death Knights sometimes have problem with heavy damage in a short period of time. Warriors Last Stand, Shield Wall and Enraged Regeneration is quite superb in those situations.

Also Warriors is far better when it comes to movement with Intervene, Charge, Intercept and Heroic Leap.

However, I do not doubt that DK's works fine and are superior then Warriors in many other situations.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    DK tanks are very good tanks, though I still hate healing them. They're easy to heal, but I hate healing them. I don't know why, I just do.
    I know why: Because of the feeling when you have a massive big expensive heal just about to hit them... and they deathstrike, bringing them close to full HP. Shit ton of overhealing, thx tank.

---------- Post added 2011-02-18 at 11:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xertion View Post
    As a Warrior Tank my experience is that Death Knights sometimes have problem with heavy damage in a short period of time. Warriors Last Stand, Shield Wall and Enraged Regeneration is quite superb in those situations.

Also Warriors is far better when it comes to movement with Intervene, Charge, Intercept and Heroic Leap.

However, I do not doubt that DK's works fine and are superior then Warriors in many other situations.
    Nah, DKs have a fuckton of cooldowns. If they are taken down to really low HP, they can just pop lichborn and coil themselves back to full HP immediately. Heavy damage under a longer period might be an issue though, unless it's magic damage... but also only if the attacker is untauntable, or army of the dead fixes that easily.

Deleted
    As stated earler in this thread, DK's are very good if not the best tanks to get by now.
    Our self-healing, combined with the awesome stacking bloodshield is just over-the-top. I mean who else can heal himself wit an easy LB/DC Macro for about 50k+?