Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    omslemming

Blizzard seem to be against players having spontanious fun...discuss.....

This is a thing ive noticed over the last couple of years in this gamr....does anyone think blizz try to do the control freak thing a little to much? It seems any kind of spontanious use of game mechanics to do something interesting seems to be locked down as soon as it happens? Maybe im not putting this the right way but a couple of examples would be chaining a lot of npcs so they cant be kited anymore? Why an earth? Seeing things like kazzak in stormwind, doomwalker attacking shattrah etc was awesome....yes it may have been disruptive but thats the point....when one of these npcs invaded it was something different, a break from the norm and a fun event your chance to try and fight off the 'evil invader' fromvyour city etc but blizz killed it.....they put chains on the maority of npcs so they run back to there areas the moment they get dragged to far away....and you have to ask why? Seems very killjoyish....the only thing i can think is blizz didnt like these events happening they really couldnt control.

Another example would be world pvp.....it seems every expansion nerfs this even more.....now we even have elite guards in places like goldshire etc let alone stormwind to prevent any players getting to close to the major opp faction towns and again you have to ask why? Random world pvp is pvp in an mmo as far as im concerned.....and it was awesome fun while that was a part of wow....epic tarren mill/southshore battles, huge 40 man organised city raids intent on causing mayhem(not just after a 'for the horde/alliance achievement' and ignoring most of the players on the way to the leaders) random city/town/area raids faction vs faction.....it just doesnt happen now...why? Because blizzard created arena and thats all they seem to want pvp to be about...hence they concentrate on rewarding players for doing arena/battlegrounds pvp in a closed controlled enviroment while implementing changes that nerf any chance of world pvp being popular again into the ground.....because again arena and battleground pvp is something they can alter and control and random world pvp events created by the players they have no control over........which to me is sad...pvp on an mmo should be spontanious and random and creative...arena etc just feels like a bloody console style beat em up game y'know?

In my opinion this is why the game is starting to go stale....blizzard do control to much and do not allow as much spontantiouity and creativeness as they could do from the players, vanilla wow was a lot more random and spontanious in. Everything from pvp to player created events.....the game has lost that along the way i feel.

Anyone aggree?

---------- Post added 2011-02-17 at 02:08 AM ----------

I should apologise for spelling/typing errors btw....new ipad getting used to touch keyboard lol

I agree but on a whole different lvl...with the continuous nerfs to PW:S they are telling us disc preists that dont want us to use shields...if we enjoyed playing by using shields we enjoyed it, its not even and issue of being OP, they just dont want us healing in that style, making us heal how they want, making this game not fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Most people on the internet nowadays need a good spank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you ever stop to think they want to encourage larger-scale PvP with the guards? Instead of one tool being able to farm the AH NPCs for hours? It's a challenge to successfully raid a major city now, not impossible. The PvP is still there. You just need to try harder to look for it other than ganking lowbies in Hillsbrad or flagged twinks in Stormwind.
    http://fredplz.wordpress.com/ - Thoughts of an obsessive Resto Shaman

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree somewhat. The loss of random world PvP is not a happy place for me. Random world PvP's death-knell began when flying mounts were introduced. In vanilla, Crossroads was hit on a daily basis and the Tarren Mill/ Southshore rivalries bordered on epic at times.

WoW has matured and recruited heavily from the FPS console gamers and that is a mixed blessing for those who are mmorpg gamers. On the plus side, we have a large player base. On the negative side, we congregate in Capital City waiting for a port to an instance to run with players we will never see again. The community we had in vanilla is gone and I am ready for a new mmorpg to replace the thrill I once had playing this game. /end rant and apologize for going off topic.

Oder must be maintained. A game constantly in chaotic quasi pvp or with major cities at all times ruined would be practically unplayable. I understand your assertion, I simply disagree.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

ill say it now just like everyone else seems to notice THE GAME IS IN DECLINE all good things must come to an end and honestly wow is losing what made it wow little by little every day the new Dev's and chat mods whoever are ignorant and rude locking more threads then answering them. The consensus is either you dont log in anymore or you think this game is still the best ever made theres no grey area anymore its either you play or you dont ill say this now ive been playing for 6 years and this is the first time i dont even have any ambition to log in theres no point. I expect some of you to feel differently then me and thats why we have opinions but i can honestly say ive never seen wow in the state its in with the amount of people who just seem to be over it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom View Post
    Oder must be maintained. A game constantly in chaotic quasi pvp or with major cities at all times ruined would be practically unplayable. I understand your assertion, I simply disagree.
    although I agree that constant pvp in a city would be unfair and chaotic, but the thing is there are four different cities for each faction, it isnt like everyone of one faction is bound to one city, something like this would encourage people to go to other cities and explore alittle (aside from the obvious to get away from PvP)

If you notice, alot of the old cities are dead,everyone just huddles up in Sw and Org now and never leaves the place. quite literally, you will hit a lag wall if you go into trade or Dwarven district now from any of the other districts not heavily populated.

Plus, it isnt very smart for a raid of 40-80 people to hit the most populated city to begin with is it?
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by charnyl View Post
    I agree somewhat. The loss of random world PvP is not a happy place for me. Random world PvP's death-knell began when flying mounts were introduced. In vanilla, Crossroads was hit on a daily basis and the Tarren Mill/ Southshore rivalries bordered on epic at times.

WoW has matured and recruited heavily from the FPS console gamers and that is a mixed blessing for those who are mmorpg gamers. On the plus side, we have a large player base. On the negative side, we congregate in Capital City waiting for a port to an instance to run with players we will never see again. The community we had in vanilla is gone and I am ready for a new mmorpg to replace the thrill I once had playing this game. /end rant and apologize for going off topic.
    Well said. I miss attacking Crossroads and defending Southshore. Impromptu, spontaneous world PVP for me happened on a weekly basis in 'vanilla' (gah I hate that term). Since TBC came out, then last time I saw any proper world PVP that wasn't ganking was roughly 4 years ago. Since then, nothing :-( Sad times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobysnacks View Post
    Well said. I miss attacking Crossroads and defending Southshore. Impromptu, spontaneous world PVP for me happened on a weekly basis in 'vanilla' (gah I hate that term). Since TBC came out, then last time I saw any proper world PVP that wasn't ganking was roughly 4 years ago. Since then, nothing :-( Sad times.
    BC killed what made pvp fun, and I will never forgive it for that reason
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

I loved World pvp torward the end of wrath, me and like 5 other geared horde would walk straight into SW and just control the trade district for an hour or 2. Before the alliance teamed up like they should and took us down with numbers.That was the funnest time in my wow history. Some guildies have tried telling me that was just because it was torward the end of the expansion and we were geared enough to kill the guards. But...idk i dont see it happening with cataclysm and its OP guards.
    and the server has a 50/50 alliance to horde ratio

Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom View Post
    Think about Rift, where Major Cities can and will at random times be attacked by an opening Rift. This! This is spontaneous! This is what's missing in WoW, using the World. WoW probably has the biggest and most diferent (in terms of zone to zone) world I've ever seen in any MMORPG.

You go from lands where
    - the ice cuts to the bone
    - you find yourself in paradise islands or deserts
    - vales and jungles threaten you at every corner
    - forsaken lands where everything is dead or rotten, to calm and quiet districts where sheeps, cows and wolfs walk the grasses
    - there are even beaten terrain like areas such as EPL and WPL
    - and then you are suddently on top of a world tree with a creepy environment, but on a good side
    - to end up running through lava, pits and fire
    - and I can't even begin to say the rest.

With such an incredible variety of areas and destinations and lore and everything, Blizzard sure is wasting the productivity and feeling that WoW could and once provided us with. IT LACKS INTERACTION WITH THIS HUGE, INCREDIBLY AMAZING WORLD THAT THEY HAVE CREATED.
    Sitting in Orgrimmar for an entire day, Queue'ing for BG's, Arenas, Random LFD, Getting a portal to TB to do BH and get back and etc, is not fun! Now if they added up some long chain quest through all the world, say to enter BWD (Nefarian has to do with all the world), where players would have to pickup X material to create Y key to open Z door and get to item W and etc to finnaly create a ring they would have to use to survive the entrance of the raid (Say, a fire burning on the ground), that, my fellow players, would be epic, or shall I say, classic!
    Last edited by Tedj; 2011-02-17 at 03:15 AM.
    World PvP and how it stands/standed.
    World PvP isn't meant to be balanced, fair nor honorable. It's meant to be brutal, relentless, deadly.. and it's the survival of the fittest. It's a fight where everything goes and you use anything you can to survive and win. It's War.. a World of Warcraft where only the best survive!

Quote Originally Posted by omslemming View Post
    In my opinion this is why the game is starting to go stale....
    I aggree completely, everything you've listed is a reason why I've canceled my subscription.
    Quote Originally Posted by Banana
    Oxygen is for WOMEN. If it breaks, I’ll hold my breath like a MAN.

haha u say u cant do world pvp cos of the elite guards in goldshire? lol explain world pvp pls . killing lvl 10s while they are questing?

Well, in Blizzard's eyes, those things had to of been more disruptive than fun to be un-doable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortis Darkskull View Post
    1st south park garots... now happy garots... next one must be overdramatic seinen manga garots...
    Best of 5 years!

I think this is a good topic for a potential discussion, however, your examples were all methods of griefing. Might you have other examples?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by damdark View Post
    haha u say u cant do world pvp cos of the elite guards in goldshire? lol explain world pvp pls . killing lvl 10s while they are questing?
    taking the entire thread out of context for one simple example, VERY SMART of you troll...

the whole point of that example is the fact that there would be level capped players not too far from goldshire, they're literally a 30 second walk away from the city doors filled with players...

Quote Originally Posted by damdark View Post
    Killing the npcs and having a shit ton of Alliance stream down from Stormwind looking for a fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Banana
    Oxygen is for WOMEN. If it breaks, I’ll hold my breath like a MAN.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I missed something somewhere because world pvp seems stronger than ever this expansion. Especially in the TB daily areas. I gank flagged allies all the dang time.

Your memory is very rose colored...world pvp died with battlegrounds....vanilla it took at least an hour to get a raid going to get everyone there or dont even mention the amount of time it took to get a pug going for BRD or any of the other level 60 instances.

This game is going stale for you because you played it for 6 years...not because something in the game has changed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zshikara View Post
    I guess I missed something somewhere because world pvp seems stronger than ever this expansion. Especially in the TB daily areas. I gank flagged allies all the dang time.
    TB is not a world pvp zone, its a battlegound specifically designed for pvp purposes.

and where is the rest of the world pvp your talking about? last time i checked no one even visits anywhere outside of Stormwind unless theyre questing or farming Archaeology.

Im assuming that youve never played vanilla because you consider "now" to be a good level of World pvp. because that certainly is the exact opposite of what it is compared to those days.

You literally had to go to Hillbrad to pvp back then, there was nowhere else to go to find horde/alliance to fight. World PvP was so fun and popular that they actually implemented Battlegrounds because of it.

Then BC came around and arena's made balance between classes so relevant that classes constantly kept getting "rebalanced" which became the major issue with pvp ever since. Flying also made world pvp dead because if someone wanted to fight theyd just fly away from you and wait until you were easily gankable, which is the case even today.