Thread: SSD's

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

SSD's

So Im building my new computer from scratch and am really considering buying a 60GB SSD to put some programs on and then just buy a TB HDD to store everything else on. Since hey a TB is like dirt cheap now IMO. Basically my question is has anyone dealt with a SSD are they worth it? I have heard Horror stories and some good stuff about them whats your take? Sorry for bad english

15+ Year Old Account
    a 60gb ssd isn't worth it. windows 7 is 20-30gb, leaving 30gb for games. if you put WoW on there, you won't fit much of anything else. spring for a 120gb one if you can so all your games will fit
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I have a 60gb SSD and I hate it. Considering getting rid of it, but I don't feel like reformatting.

So, I'm waiting for the 500+mb/s ones to come out... though I doubt they will be priced well.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    So, I'm waiting for the 500+mb/s ones to come out... though I doubt they will be priced well.
    I just built a new rig on the 1155 chipset and am using my old Velociraptor till the Vertex 3's come out.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

I've got intels 80 gb (mark2 or whatever), and love it. There are some poor quality ssd's out there, just make sure you get one that suits your needs. The c300 has gotten good feedback as far as i know.

Would recommend that you buy 100+ gb. I've got Windows (7), wow and various apps on mine. It's not often I play other games, but when i log on CoD, i wish i had a bigger one.

Do you need one? Hard to say Only noticable when loading os/apps/login - taking portals - entering dungeons etc. I feel it's worth it tho

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm probably going to put this SSD in either my laptop, or my ISA/TMG server when I switch that over to a Brazos platform to make it tiny.

But yeah... 60gb = too small

250mb/s read/write = not enough of a difference to make up for the cost difference between an SSD and a good, well managed mechanical drive.

I just bought a 60 BG SSD, loaded windows 7 ultimate onto it and WoW and have 8gigs left to put w/e onto (note: my wow folder is huuuuuge, but I have a very stripped down version of windows, not sure how many gigs I took off their).

The performance is like night and day, and I got a really cheap SSD. I would suggest buying an SSD even if just to put windows on it. Having WoW on the SSD is pretty life changing, you won't ever be able to play without it after your first 2 second loading screen.

in SSDs be sure to get the SandForce controller

for me, win 7 + wow = 53GB so a 60GB is perfect if that's all you want.

If I had the cash I'd do a 40gb ssd for every game...

For the same price as a good 60gb SDD you could do a Western Digital VelociRaptor, and get 5 times the storage space. Then just use partitions of the right size for your games to get max performance.
    Current System - Ultra Budget <$550 (Reused: 19" monitor, KB and mouse)
    Case: Xion Echo $50 PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-500D $50
    Win 7 OEM: $99 HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s $45
    CPU/MB Combo: MSI 880GMA-E45 / Phenom II x3 720 2.8 (OC 3.5) $150
    GPU: MSI R5670 CYCLONE 1G Radeon HD 5670 $89
    Mem: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB 1333 (pc10666) $45
    DVD Burner: Asus 24x $18
    - update: 2/16/11 added Hyper 212 CPU Cooler $30

I have an 80 gb SSD, an older intel x25-m. It is quite tiny, but I'm still able to fit Visual Studio 2010, Windows 7 Ultimate, WoW and SC 2 on it. Note that Windows 7 will eat up quite a bit of HD space with the hiberfile.sys, basically mirroring the amount of ram you have. If you're never planning on using hibernation mode you can disable and delete that file with no consequences.

Sorry, but there really is no contest between SSD's and mechanical drives at this point in my mind. When bios takes longer to post than Windows takes to load, mechanical drives just fall out of favor with me.

This isn't to say you can't use mechanical drives for data storage...

Keep in mind that you won't be playing all of your games all of the time. If I had a 120 or 100gig I would be fine forever. I will only ever really be playing WoW + 1 other game at a time, so whenever I switch the game I am focusing on I would just switch it over from my data harddrive to my SSD.

not all games tolerate being switched around like wow does, at least as far as i know.

ive got an 160gb ssd and im having no storageproblems at all. using a hdd for music, movies and stuff.

Also keep in mind that it is not vitally important to have your windows on ssd, it will fire off slower but u need wow to be fast not windows. WoW speed will not be affected by having windows on your ssd (tested it because i've argued with a friend on this one).

Quote Originally Posted by darkblood14 View Post
    Also keep in mind that it is not vitally important to have your windows on ssd, it will fire off slower but u need wow to be fast not windows. WoW speed will not be affected by having windows on your ssd (tested it because i've argued with a friend on this one).
    Thats just silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

Unless you're cashed up, don't bother with an SSD, they're too expensive for too little space. It's hardly noticeable whilst playing wow anyway. I wouldn't consider getting one unless I was doing something a lot more strainfull.
    Cake!

*Wonders how many people responding to this thread actually have an SSD*

Huge difference in load times and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Szyrex View Post
    Unless you're cashed up, don't bother with an SSD, they're too expensive for too little space. It's hardly noticeable whilst playing wow anyway. I wouldn't consider getting one unless I was doing something a lot more strainfull.
    It is a big difference. Really big. It will put a smile on your face guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    *Wonders how many people responding to this thread actually have an SSD*

Huge difference in load times and whatnot.
    Have you tried comparing it to a 10000RPM disc? A 7200 RPM one? Either in raid0/raid0+1?
    I know I haven't.
    There's a difference, yes, but don't exaggerate.

And yes, I have a Corsair Force. (285 read / 275 write)
    &nbsp;

Deleted
    Got SSD, and I like it. I've been very annoyed by loading in the past, but I haven't noticed such annoyance after I got a SSD. Though it's expensive, it's worth it (much like the reason people buy cars with extras gear/functions etc. or w/e you call it). Up to yourself but perhaps not the first thing to buy to improve a standard-low end-pc

15+ Year Old Account
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

15+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, but there really is no contest between SSD's and mechanical drives at this point in my mind. When bios takes longer to post than Windows takes to load, mechanical drives just fall out of favor with me.
    My BIOS takes longer to POST than Windows took to boot on my 640GB Caviar Blacks.

SSD shed about 4 seconds off boot times, maybe. Doesn't make the computer come out of sleep any faster either.

WoW, most of my load time is waiting for addons to initialize, which... has nothing to do with the SSD. About 5 or 6 seconds off load times there. Going through portals is much faster sure. Everything else that would benefit from loading fast (herbs, minerals) is choked by the games engine, latency, and server response time.

Web browsing is no faster from cache access.

Nothing else I have installed on the SSD loads any faster (because they are all tiny programs anyway).

Some contest.