Race ShadowPriest [Horde]

What is the best race for Spriest? Troll, Goblin?

I have a Blood Elf, but I'm thinking of changing the race for racial favoring the dps.

-Troll have racial: Berserking and Base Stats: 16 Int, 21 Spirit
    - Goblin have racial Time is Money (passive) and Base Stats: 23 Int, 18 Spirit

Has anyone done this change? Comments are welcome ...
    Last edited by ricorav; 2011-02-18 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricorav View Post
    What is the best race for Spriest? Troll, Goblin?

I have a Blood Elf, but I'm thinking of changing the race for racial favoring the dps.

-Troll have racial: Berserking and Base Stats: 16 Int, 21 Spirit
    - Goblin have racial Time is Money (passive) and Base Stats: 23 Int, 18 Spirit

Has anyone done this change? Comments are welcome ...
    Troll imo... the Haste buff is extremely useful in raids and you can macro it to be used on cd. Also, I think the goblin racial only affects the cast time of your spells which only helps mf, vt, mb, and ms. However, the troll racial gives all the normal buffs of haste and therefore you benefit on all your spells.
    Last edited by Arlee; 2011-02-17 at 06:58 PM.

Nope, goblin effects dots as well, but troll will pull out slightly ahead overall if you use it correctly. If you'd want to just macro the troll racial into a spell to be used on CD you'd be better off going goblin for the passive 1% haste. Otherwise you'll end up with berzerk going off at a time you have to stop casting or run around and hug kittens and then it's over and it wasn't used to it's optimum potential. :\

15+ Year Old Account
    Probably Troll.

WarcraftPriests.com - The Shadowlands Priest Community Website

Join over 100,000 Priests on our partnered Discord server: Warcraft Priests

Quote Originally Posted by Solfire View Post
    Nope, goblin effects dots as well, but troll will pull out slightly ahead overall if you use it correctly. If you'd want to just macro the troll racial into a spell to be used on CD you'd be better off going goblin for the passive 1% haste. Otherwise you'll end up with berzerk going off at a time you have to stop casting or run around and hug kittens and then it's over and it wasn't used to it's optimum potential. :\
    I think the kittens would appreciate it, though. Plus you could hug like 2 more kittens in the same timespan vs. not having berzerk. That alone makes it worth it!

Really though, as others have stated, Troll is worth more of a DPS boost *if* you use it on CD and you don't have to waste it from running around/being stunned/other fight mechanics. Goblin is second best since it is a passive 1% haste buff (which I personally prefer, for the same reasons that make a Troll's ability sketchy).
    @TwintopTahoe Twintop @ Illidan-US HowToPriest
    Simulate Your Character on Beotorch! https://www.beotorch.com/

I don't think many of you realise the dps-boost Rocket Jump provides and you know what.. it scales with skill as well.

Being almost instantly in range for add-phases, bumping out of breath (valiona, just to name one), getting back into dps-position, smoother phase transitions, don't have to worry as much of wind burst on Al'akir. The list goes on.. not to mention less stress on healers.

All that on top of the 1% haste. You can love berserk as much as you want, or the pure awesomeness that is trolls, but keeping up with goblins racials dps-wise in raids, forget it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nope, goblin effects dots as well
    Incorrect information. The goblin passive Time is Money is only an attack speed and cast time haste of 1%. Its not a blanket 1% haste. Their racial is how the old lust/hero used to be....attack speed & cast time haste not affecting dots.

As for the OP's question, it all depends on if you want your shadow priest for pve or pvp. I made my priest undead the 6 years ago that I made her and almost race changed to troll for berserking but just couldn't bring myself to make a male troll (sorry hate female trolls but the men are the sexiest Horde race imo & I love my female undeads too). I like having my Will of the Forsaken too much to go troll. Personally I'd rather be an undead for pvp than any other Horde race and for pve I'd suggest troll because their racial is pretty damn good for us shadow priests now especially for burn phases. Goblin is great for shaman, mages, and warlocks (and all of their melee dps classes too) because they are primarily casted casters while shadow priests are still a primarily a dot class.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love goblin racials but couldn't stand being that short. Undead always.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Tauren. need more cowbell

It is unquestionably troll. I switched from BElf for max DPS.

Nope, goblin effects dots as well
    That's weird, the way it is worded makes it sound like it would not affect the number of ticks in a dot or anything. Though honestly it would not be the first time Blizz has worded a tooltip in a way that makes what something exactly unclear

I'm going troll, and I find the haste buff pretty nice for healing and dps.

But goblin got 1% more haste at all times and can be really handy.
    But I would go troll if I was you. :P
    My bane brings all the raiders to the yard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Incorrect information. The goblin passive Time is Money is only an attack speed and cast time haste of 1%. Its not a blanket 1% haste. Their racial is how the old lust/hero used to be....attack speed & cast time haste not affecting dots.
    Bloodlust didn't affect the tick-rate of dots when they didn't scale with haste to begin with. As soon resto druid / shadow priests got haste scaling in T10, Bloodlust affected them. The analogy fails.

Both say "attack and casting speed". Both increase the tick rate of dots.
    Last edited by Aica; 2011-02-18 at 09:57 PM.
    {[( )]}

Deleted
    I think that goblin will prove to be superior in the end

10+ Year Old Account
    Trolls and Goblins are where its at, but honestly I'd just chose whatever race you like best, the improved DPS from racials is pretty small to really warrent a race change.
    I mean, I still haven't seen any top guilds kick out their insanely good Death Knights for being blood elves and not Orcs, or kicking out tanks for not being Dwarves or Tauren.

Deleted
    Goblin is great for shaman, mages, and warlocks
    Yeah, UA Locks don't have any dots.. right

Troll for pvp
    Goblin for pve.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aica View Post
    Bloodlust didn't affect the tick-rate of dots when they didn't scale with haste to begin with. As soon resto druid / shadow priests got haste scaling in T10, Bloodlust affected them. The analogy fails.

Both say "attack and casting speed". Both increase the tick rate of dots.
    Make a goblin DK on some server, run a damage meter, take a look at how many ticks of their dots you get during their duration, delete the goblin, make anything else into a DK, run a damage meter, compare how many ticks you get, and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. This is if you don't want to pay the $50 round trip to goblin then to another race to compare how many ticks of a dot you get for the races.

There is no correct answer here, its very interpretational. Most people will say it's Troll because they are very short sighted. It is also difficult to put a DPS value on goblin rocket jump, but at the end of the day moving quicker allows you to cast more spells when the Troll is still moving. It also gets down to specific encounters and whether there is a lot of movement required and what type of movement.

At the end of the day, any DPS gain you get from any racial is never enough to make or break the class. Its not as if Troll spriests are all ahead of any other race, if you're a good player you'll easily close any DPS gap any racial gives another player.

So with that in mind its wise to simply choose a race you like rather than one you think is going to magically make you do more damage.