Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Shadow dps on Halfus

Ok so I just started raiding again because my cousin's guild is a bunch of RL friends and they just got geared enough to actually raid. One thing I am confused about is how are people pulling the kind of dps that they are on that fight. This isn't a "I'm bottom of the meters" QQ post because, well, I wasn't. I was actually the top dps this week (missed last week when they did it because I had to take my girls to dance class) but only managed 22k dps and the next highest was barely 20k dps. I was looking at State of DPS (http://stateofdps.com) and it was showing that shadow priests average 42k dps on that fight in 10 man normal (what we are running). I'm just left scratching my head on how they manage that when I'm at like half that.

Class DPS (Avg) Median StdDev % Samples
    Mage - Fire 46799 45587 3356 100 180
    Rogue - Combat 45618 44673 4099 98 180
    Rogue - Assassination 43703 43028 2199 94 180
    Priest - Shadow 42912 42241 2335 93 180

I would guess because that's the average of the top 200 in the world and not just every spriest

Quote Originally Posted by Aiurwyn View Post
    I would guess because that's the average of the top 200 in the world and not just every spriest
    Easy, seing as on halfus you get a retarded bonus damage debuff on the boss.

Last time I was there I was doing 44k only topped by a enhancement shaman on 46k. The closest to us was a mage at 32k dps
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

The short answer is multidotting.

What I use to do is this:

--- Engage ---
    Dot halfus up with Vampiric Touch and SW:P, mindflay him until the first drake is avaliable. If you feel you don't have any severe mana issues throw in DP as well. This should give you an orb proc to be consumed right before you switch target.
    --- XXX drake---
    (This is where many pop bloodlust/timewarp)
    Dot him up, release your fiend, pop cooldowns and start mind flaying. At all times keep SW:P and VT up on halfus. You can refresh SW:P by flaying halfus instead of simply renewing the dot.
    --- More drakes ---
    Make sure to dot up every avaliable drake just as you did with Halfus. Keep DP on the one your currently nuking for obvious reasons. Make sure to have as little downtime as possible on all your dots and keep consuming all orbs with Mind Blast to keep Emporewed Shadows up.
    --- Whelps ----
    If you happen to get whelps, cast Mind Sear on either Halfus or the tank tanking them. Do not prioritize Mind Sear over your other dots on other targets. While your aoe will do it's job, you can be pretty sure other classes will do the most work here.
    --- Last Phase ---
    This is basicly the spank phase for you as a shadow priest. Do the best you can do dish out as much damage as possible, but watch your aggro as your SWD will to huge numbers below 25%. When Halfus cast Furios Roar (the sonic pulse) it would be an ideal time to cast dispersion to dodge some damage and regain mana.

Without any special potions used this lands me normally between 42-45k (latest patch). You will always be able to shine even brigher if you get a mirror proc with full uptime when you're dotting 3 targets etc. Dark Intent is another sweet buff to have.

Hope it helped.
    Last edited by Snap; 2011-02-18 at 07:33 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrus View Post
    Easy, seing as on halfus you get a retarded bonus damage debuff on the boss.

Last time I was there I was doing 44k only topped by a enhancement shaman on 46k. The closest to us was a mage at 32k dps
    What debuff and how do you put it on him? I didn't notice any debuffs on the boss tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Snap View Post
    The short answer is multidotting.

What I use to do is this:
    That is exactly what I did tonight and only managed the 20-22k dps while still being #1 on the meters. The multidotting doesn't account for other classes getting 30-45k dps. Hell frost mages were hitting 27k and arcane mages were getting 25k on him. Enh shaman 42k dps, fury warriors 39k dps, ret pallies 39k dps. Also what is this "more drakes" because this week there was only 2 drakes and the whelps up.

Oh and as far as my opening, I did VT > SWP > DP > MB > MFx1 on Halfus and then when the time drake came up I did the same thing and went into my normal rotation. Mana is not an issue at all on that fight from what I've seen as random crap seems to hit you hard enough that it procs mana back a lot. I also did Mind Sear on the tank when the drake was down and we were fighting the whelps then went to Halfus after the whelps were dead.
    Last edited by gaymer77; 2011-02-18 at 08:08 AM. Reason: clarify

Cool

No. The multidotting doesn't account for other classes simply because they have other mechanics. As a rouge you use aoe for example.

It seems that you just have to get used to the fight and execute it better. Try to get Dark Intent from a potential warlock in your raid.

I assume you don't keep logs of your raids for us to check, but keep an addon like power auras to monitor your uptime of Empowered Shadows. You mentioned MB in your rotation, pre mind flay, but it's situational due to the rng-factor of shadow orbs.
    Last edited by Snap; 2011-02-18 at 08:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Multidot anything it's up, i keep my DP on halfus all the time since the dps on dragons it's not a probllem for us.
    Pre-pot and re-pot when all dragons are down.

And don't really compare a mage/rogue dps on this fight they can get some ridiculously high crits that sky rocketing their dps + the AoE if welps are up.

Easy:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...e/?s=237&e=492

Put focus on halfus, and use target=focus macro's to keep him dotted up while you kill the dragons.

It will depend abit on wich dragons you get though. If you get the pack of whelps you will probably end up a little lower compared to others due to our terrible aoe.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    What debuff and how do you put it on him? I didn't notice any debuffs on the boss tonight.
    When you kill a drake, the boss gets one stack of Dragon's Vengeance (Halfus takes 100% increased damage from all sources. Stacks.)
    This buff (not debuff it seems) stacks up to 3 in normal, so as shadow priest, As soon as you start dot up the boss, VT (if you can get it casted so it hits just as the boss is pulled) >SW:P and DP, then MF til the first drake is up. Start out with a MB to get the ES buff, then dot it up and continue on the drake, but keeping dots op on the boss, after the first drake is down, your dots on the boss will be doing 100% more damage.
    Just keep up with the same thing, dps boss until next drake is ready, then attack that one, while keeping dots on boss.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

The damage debuff applied to halfus is 100% more damage PER drake you kill. So if you kill all 3 drakes on normal mode, he should be taking 300% more damage...which means your DPS should quadruple (around 70k). But since the debuff only lasts for the second half of the fight, you'll only be doing probably just over half that figure. around 40-45k sounds decent. Our guild only kills 2/3 drakes so halfus will take less damage, which is why my dps is also slightly lower than what it could have been, which is still around 40k

Don't look at overall DPS, look at Per Dragon. Some people will pick up extra DPS on splash dmg making them look pretty while others like us will be focusing down the add that need to die. I will say we will be low on whelp dmg since MS is a POS

TLDR - Halfus is a gimmick fight, don't ever look at overall DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Don't look at overall DPS, look at Per Dragon. Some people will pick up extra DPS on splash dmg making them look pretty while others like us will be focusing down the add that need to die. I will say we will be low on whelp dmg since MS is a POS

TLDR - Halfus is a gimmick fight, don't ever look at overall DPS.
    But if you look at my parse, and look at dmg taken by actor for every dragon, you will still see me #1 on all off them

I imagine they are staying on the boss and only keeping dots on everything else exploiting the debuff on Halfus instead of playing the encounter. Basically they are better on State of DPS but their raid has to pick up the slack. Since the site shows top dps it might only ever shows players who do this (or are very very good).

Deleted
    I did 72k dps on heroic Halfus (70k effective dps) yesterday according to WoL in average ilvl 359 gear. WoL doesn't take shadowy apperations into account, but plus an additional 5k dps if you want to. (24th highest in the world).

Basically just DoT every dragon + Halfus up. Don't waste your time aoeing, let the classes who are designed for it manage such things. If you don't want to screw your raid you should focus on the kill target and just maintain VT and sw:d (by refreshing with mind flay) on the off targets. Devouring plague on Halfus if everything goes smoothly, DP on kill target if you have healing problems 30 seconds into the pull.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    Don't waste your time aoeing, let the classes who are designed for it manage such things. If you don't want to screw your raid you should focus on the kill target and just maintain VT and sw:d (by refreshing with mind flay) on the off targets. Devouring plague on Halfus if everything goes smoothly, DP on kill target if you have healing problems 30 seconds into the pull.
    Unfortunately my raid make up is a balance druid, ele shaman, enh shaman, fury warrior, prot warrior, prot pally, me, holy pally, resto druid, and a resto shaman so its me & the druid for AOE along with the prot pally for whelps.

Thanks Chrus & zsun for clarifying about the debuff that's on Halfus and how these people are getting that high of damage. THAT makes a whole lot more sense than other people saying "multidot" and basically saying "l2p". So if we're able to kill Halfus with only 2 of the drakes being killed would it make more sense/faster kill to do all 3 or stick to 2? This week we killed the whelps after killing the time drake and left the third one inactive. Its my guild's second time killing him but my first time killing him since I missed our first guild raid last week when they killed him.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    So if we're able to kill Halfus with only 2 of the drakes being killed would it make more sense/faster kill to do all 3 or stick to 2? This week we killed the whelps after killing the time drake and left the third one inactive.
    Imo it depends on the drakes, seing as on 2drakes you already get 200% increased damage, 50% more than before patch. So it's eztreamly easy to do. If you get the whelps as one of them, I would just take the last 2 drakes, and ignor the whelps. But if you get 3 drakes, it's almost always a need to get all 3, or worth it. And you also get 300% when 3 is dead. So yeah.

Sorry if it's abit messy... I am abit.. yeah atm. ^^

To OP, according to the second half of your post here, mmo-champion.com/threads/833023-Priest-State-of-Shadow-4.0.6?p=10486914&viewfull=1#post10486914, a basic understanding of shadow/DoT mechanics would help your dps on Halfus as much as learning the intricacies of the fight.

It's probably because it was your first kill and everyone was correctly geared for the first fight in content. The top 200 parses are going to have people who have that content on heavy farm, and are probably poping all drakes, killing them really fast then burning the boss when it has a huge 300% damage buff. Saving heroism for the 300% to maximize damage. Also, this fight is kind of odd on the dps meters on normal because of how it changes every week. It doesn't really effect shadow priests (shit aoe) but any stronger aoe class will do quite a bit more damage if this week has the whelps.

One more thing to consider here is dark intent. Without that you knock probably 6-8k off. DI adds about 3k dps on normal fights so 3k dps x 300% bonus on halfus would give you insane amounts of extra damage you don't have without the buff.
    What do you think about the season 7 shaman set?
    It looks like what would happen if one of those big rock giants from Outlands mated with Spiderman.

-monkeysnarf

10+ Year Old Account
    You see those dots?
    "Yeah"
    PUT THEM UP ON MORE THAN ONE TARGET.
    Enjoy your 45k dps.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.