The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Will my baby Corsair 650 watt TX PSU be enough?

So, I would like to get a Cooler Master HAF X 942 case (http://www.compusa.com/applications/...69869&csid=_23) and will probably be going for an i5-2500K if they would just hurry up with making the Asus P8P67 Pro boards easily available again (or I may just get some sort of i5 or i7 of the last gen as OCing is not something I plan to do, more or less a just in case thing. In my current computer I am running an almost year old PNY XLR8 NVidia 9800 GeForce GT 1gig GDDR3 and I may salvage that unless I feel like getting a better video card. I'll probably be going for 8 gigs of DDR3 RAM. An SSD may also be a possibility here.

Question is, would 650 watts be enough for all of this? All the fans in that case have to require a fairly decent amount of power and that's why I am asking.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Yeah. Don't think you'd even reach 500w at max load.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    Yeah. Don't think you'd even reach 500w at max load.
    Thanks! That's pretty awesome to know, though I wonder if I ought to get a modular just for easier usage.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Does anyone know a good site for calculating your power usage for a complete rig? I can't seem to find anyone that has the new generation of Intel CPUs and MOBOs

Edit: Found one here. It doesn't support the i5-2500K version yet, but it has the i5-2500. It even supports overclocking. Just insert your rig setup and click calculate
    Last edited by Mestofiles; 2011-02-18 at 12:37 PM.

Yes thats the same power supply i have for a simular system.

i5 200k
    gtx 560ti msi forza 2 gpu
    4 gig of 1600mhz ddr3 ram
    1tb samsung f3 hdd sata 2

Powers it easy. Alot of memory is hardley needed also. If you can get an ssd hdd as well that will make it very quick.

Currentley waiting on the new ocz ssd due out soon i belive.

OP, your system will most likely draw between 250 and 300 watts at maximum load, which, if you're a normal computer user, it either won't ever reach, or will only be at for a brief amount of time. That said your power supply could even handle two 6850's or two GTX 460/560's in Crossfire/SLI, so you have nothing to worry about.

@Mestofiles - PSU calculators always heavily exaggerate your actual power supply requirements, it's not a really good idea to trust them as they can fool the average user into paying for something way more powerful than what they actually need.