Deleted

is Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS good?

How much fps do you guys think it can run wow with?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it was good when it was new.

If you're prepared for not being able to run absolutely everything at ultra (max liquid details and high res textures combined is somewhat GPU taxing, for example), it should still perform decent in wow. Though display resolution matters.

10+ Year Old Account
    +60 i guess.

I currently have one atm in my comp, must say its age is really starting to show and depending on what your doing 60+ fps could be rather optimistic usually mine sits about 40 fps in instances and 30 in raids.

My advice is too look at a modern card since you will get better longevity out of it as well.

I have used a 8800 GT for 4 years... still running wow on Ultra...
    AND, I'm busy recording videos for my YT channel which cuts FPS in half too.
    it's only on holidays with all the additional crap in towns does the FPS issues start...
    with that said, I'm really looking for a new graphics card.

Jesse

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm running the laptop version of that card, and it's starting to show that it's ancient.

Edit: I lied I have an 8200M G - It's pretty awful 15fps max... at VERY low settings... the 8k series is getting old.
    Last edited by Shamadin; 2011-02-18 at 10:06 AM.

Deleted
    Considering wow relies much more on the CPU, 8800 gtx won't be your bottleneck right now. Unless you're running something like an i7 or sandy bridge setup obviously.

Deleted
    I had a GTS8800 512MB (the NV92 chip, which is the same as the 9800!! BIG difference between the 320/640MB setup and the 512!!!) and wow WOTLK ran perfectly fine on max (xcept shadows) in 1920x1080 with AA, AF on max. I have been forced to upgrade since it fried, and couldn't tell you how it works on Cata with the new water effects etc.

I'm guessing it should do decently if you're running the NV92 Version. You might have to tone down some effects though.

---------- Post added 2011-02-18 at 12:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shamadin View Post
    Edit: I lied I have an 8200M G - It's pretty awful 15fps max... at VERY low settings... the 8k series is getting old.
    the "2" series is the problem.. That's more of the office line.

But yeah, the 8k Series is like 3-4 gens old now, so yeah, not up to current standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Akritoo View Post
    How much fps do you guys think it can run wow with?
    You'll be CPU capped in raids anyway, does it matter if the maximum with vsync disabled is 100 or 150 fps? 8800GTS is good enough to run WoW smoothly, it's just missing the DX11 support. But I would not get that card as 'new' unless you can get extremely good deal since it's already few years and few generations old now.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

If the card is a real good deal i would not bother. Worth getting a little more money for a ati 5850 or gtx 460. Currentley priced £140 for both.

And some times maybe pick up a o.c version.

OP: Do you have the card, or are you thinking of buying it? If you have it already, only upgrade if it feels slow; if you're thinking of buying it, don't bother, you can find used GTX2x0 cards for pretty cheap at least that'll run circles around the 8800GTS.
    Super casual.