Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[HOLY] chimaeron healing

Hey everybody,

yesterday we had our first attempts at chimaeron (normal) and although we had him at 2% in the last try I must say I was extremely taken aback by the sheer speed that is needed to get the people up to 10k again.

We tried several healer placements and ended up with me healing the double-taker via beacon and group one - 1HP guys. Most of the time I had no choice but take FoL to get the guys up to 10k again. Not because HL doesn't put out enough but because it was just too frickin slow. It felt more like us beeing lucky and unlucky at the same time - let me explain:

I already tried the top-down/bottom-up healing strategy. Two healers (a resto-shaman and a resto-drood) working on healing from "opposite sides" of the raidframes and me picking up leftover-1HPers. It seemed to me that there were still people at 1 HP the time the next caustic hit. So in a sense we got lucky that they weren't instagibbed but gut unlucky because now there were even moar guys sitting at 1HP.
    That's the point were I had to put out some FoLs.

Apart from that sure the double-taker took a lot healing too but beacon and some hots did a reasonable job there. I just found our healers gooing dry like pee in the noon sun. The last Feud/massacre was more like a " >.< AMAGAWD whosgonnahealthatall?!" - and OF COURSE it was followed directly by phase 2. Needless to say that we didn't make the kill.

So: ANY help regarding on-spot-10k-heals in combination with mana-saving would be a GREAT help.

btw. we had something around 2,5 hours of (17) tries.

Deleted
    I've only done it on 10man but from I can see, you're doing it on 10man aswell. Our setup is Resto druid, Holy paladin and a holy priest (me). The way we do the caustic slimes is we divide the raid between the healers. the Holy Paladin focuses on the 2 tanks and himself, I usually focus on 3 people and myself and the restodruid focuses on 2 targets and himself. And you have to use quick heals that cost alot of mana. But the last 20% you don't need any mana at all. As a holy paladin, I'm not sure but if your flash of light heals enough you could go with Divine plea of cd and ofc judgement between caustic slimes. How many Feuds did you have to heal through btw?

Of course, if you're really having mana-trouble, try and get your team to selfheal as much as possible. Healthstones, Word of glory, Deathstrike with ze glyph, have your destro lock go affliction, enhancement shaman cast a x5 maelstrom heal and so on. I'm not sure there's more you can do after that except get better gear and better dps to reach phase 2 quicker. Also if it's always tight in phase 2, you could taunt just before phase 2 and have the tank taunt back. That way you're high on the threatlist and since you won't have that high dps and can't heal in that phase it'll give your dps a bit longer to try and bring the boss down.
    Last edited by mmoc8547d17f74; 2011-02-18 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Added a bunch of stuff

Phase 1 I (holy priest) heal everyone except the tanks. Our Holy Pally does the tanks. Our Resto Druid just sits there doing nothing till the Feud. Priest can PoH twice after a massacre and flash heal twice for the slimes. EZ. Holy Pally does the tanks pretty well so I'd stick to that.

10+ Year Old Account
    is this for 10 or 25 man?

The thing about chimaeron is it takes a certain degree of self-control and healer coordination.

since, on 10 man (I don't do 25 man anymore so can't speak for that) 2 people will get hit every slime, it should be fairly easy to get both up, since you have 2 healers who can look out for it.

what we do is have 1 resto druid keep the fury warrior up that "main tanks" the boss.

he also keeps hots on the double strike prot warrior tank.

i keep my beacon on the prot warrior.

when the slimes hit, I heal the person in group 1, shammy/priest heals group 2.

at all costs, try to avoid both healing the same person, 10k health is a really small amount.

do not be afraid to use FoL.

I usually use my divine plea during a fued phase, but only if I know other healers are blowing their cooldowns, (tranq/hymn). Sometimes I'll use it outside of fued but make sure you're confident about healing the slimes.

after a massacre, I usually do a holy radiance, which will heal almost half my raid to 10k+ since i stand roughly in the middle.

also, for topping people up, I (of course) mostly use holy shock, and word of glory. in a raid environment with all buffs and somewhat decent gear, WoG at 2 HP should be more than sufficient, so no need to go for 3 HP

Chimaeron is all about the healers,
    keep your head cool, avoid overhealing, and he should go down eventually

hope this helps

Phew, let me think. The first I took GotAK, the second was Feral-Tranq+Warlockstone+Raidwall, Third was Resto druid-Tranq + desperate hope and a forth where we had no "real" CDs anymore (I put on fast and hard Holy Radiance though and yelled the shit out that anybody (apart from the tanks) should use his defensive CDs) - so all in all that's 4 Feuds.

And yes we do it on 10man aswell. Player-sharing sounds like a nice idea too - maybe we'll try that.

---------- Post added 2011-02-18 at 12:15 PM ----------

Thanks for your replies, I highly appreciate it. Holy Radiance after a massacre ... I don't know but I guess people are too spread out for HR to be fast/heavy enough, no?

Assign marks to make the healing more controlled. Addons like Bigwigs, DBM etc can put marks when people are hit.

Make sure you are specced and glyphed right. Holy Shock is invaluable here, so make sure you have 3/3 crusade and the HS glyph. HS critting more will inturn make your HL's faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    With preplanned positioning, HR should hit at least some people for the full amount, it usually puts 2-3 people in my raid to 10k+ (not including myself, which it of course does ), make sure that you are in the middle of the ranged dps/healer spread for this to work. Remember, 10k health is nothing

For the feud-massacres, make sure you don't overheal before the massacre hits after the fued slimes, ,since you'll have the bile-o-tron online anyway.

Wiping on chimaeron is worth it, he's a really cool kill as a healer
    Last edited by jvbastel; 2011-02-18 at 11:29 AM.

I usually go mad with HS and 1-2pt WoG (which has like 90% crit when people are <35% hp, e.g. always after a slime hit).
    My HL hits for 11k noncrit 10man buffed and casts 1,9sec unhasted. I usually heal both of the slime targets above 10k hp with a HL first target, shock second target, WoG second target if HS didnt crit before our second healer heals his target. Beacon on the double strike tank.
    For feud just time your CDs accordingly. I usually pop DF, AW, GotaK for the first feud, Priest hymn for the second, tranq for the third.
    And remember to LoH or DL the shit out of your tanks as soon as P2 is about to hit.
    Last edited by heissler; 2011-02-18 at 11:40 AM.

Very good input all. Thank you very much. I guess all our healers (me included) will just have to take a step up in not overhealing and still pumping like crazy on feuds. The Massacre-after-feud-overhealing is a good one to keep in mind too!

Here is a video of me keeping everyone above 10k health (failing once, lol) and killing him on heroic difficulty.
    I use the Chimaeron(Health Left) addon for Grid. To keep my mana up I melee and judge the boss as much as possible, and as you can see, it turns out very well.

youtube.com/watch?v=1ktTkDgRCxw

We usually have our resto druid on tanks full time, me on the people that get spit, and our disc priest helps the druid out on the tanks and me during massacre. I keep my beacon on one of the other healers, and poti keeps me up, so that's two people I don't really have to worry about. I think HS and WoG are really nice for that fight, HL is decent too when you get a proc from HS.

15+ Year Old Account
    You shouldn't heal the tanks as Paladin, since we are extremely effective for this fight because of our capabilities with instant spells. We can help the healer healing the tank with Beacon of Light, but that's it.

You should use Holy Shock on cooldown as always, and when you reach 2 HoPo then use WoG (1 is also fine if the target has some health, which is normal). Use Holy Light when Holy Shock is on cooldown, and you have no HoPo, but if Massacre is incoming and you need fast healing then use Flash of Light if Holy Light can't make it. You shouldn't heal yourself (and tell the same thing to the other healers), since you get enough healing through Protecter of the Innocent.

You did not specify 10 or 25. On 10m, we killed chimaeron in approx 3 tries, one shotting it after switching me and the druid around and putting me on raid and the druid on the tank. He just didn't have the oomph to do the 10k's.

On 25m, our guild took it back to Archimonde and put a healer in each group. We 7 heal it, with a healer in all 5 groups dedicated to just that group and only that group. Everybody gathers around their healer, so that the priest/shaman/druid puts down their little OP heal-on-the-ground when massacre occurs. I have a druid backup healing with me on the tank myself, and on 25 I pretty much just rotate holy light/divine light and shock on cooldown, use 3hp WoG everytime my tank drops to 1, or if I have a daybreak proc I blow my WoG on the other tank who is low so he has some hp when he comes around to taunt. We 2 shot it once we switched to this new strat with each group having they're own healer.

If you don't have the reflexes to heal quickly, you're going to be very hard pressed.

Upon every stack up I try to use wrath + holy radiance on the first one, then Divine favor + HR on the second one. Try to watch your timers and go into that phase with 3 holy power, AND a daybreak proc so that you can quickly holy shock, holy shock, and either crusader strike or FoL your beacon and nail another light of dawn very quickly back to back. After my second LoD, I usually use my divine plea and let the other better aoe healers finish off as we run back to our places, since we don't really NEED to get everybody back up to 100 by that point, they're just going ot get slime in 5 seconds anyways.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anesthetic View Post
    You did not specify 10 or 25. On 10m, we killed chimaeron in approx 3 tries, one shotting it after switching me and the druid around and putting me on raid and the druid on the tank. He just didn't have the oomph to do the 10k's.
    His class is not capable of performing fast and cheap single target heals like you. It's not the "oomph". You should rather blame the group composition (healing leader?).

I agree with the protector of light comment, you def get enough healing from that.
    I understand WoG is great for 10 man because it does more healing when targets are below 35% health. However, in 25 man I am still unsure what is better for Chimaeron: WoG or LoD. The particular group I am in charge of healing, I quickly build up 3 Holy Power then use LoD in conjunction with HR, followed by a holy shock on one target (2 if Daybreak procs) and a WoG on a target that has not yet reached 10.5k health. But the LoD and HR usually is enough.
    I believe in efficiency, if there is something more efficient, let me know. I am having some mana issues with what I am doing. At least the LoD is free.

15+ Year Old Account
    I usually use lots of 2 HP Word of Glorys. I have never once cast Flash of Light in that fight - I imagine I may have to some day under some rare circumstance, but most of the time it just isn't needed.

For the first Feud, I use GoaK, Second feud second Paladin's GoaK, Third Feud Priest's Divine Hymn, and Fourth Feud both Paladin's Avenging Wraths and Divine Favors.

It's really ALL about fast reflexes - fast Holy Shocks - fast Word of Glory casts - etc.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Chimaeron healing is easier once you understand the patterns.

Chimaeron has a 4.0s weapon swing, 4.8 with 20% speed reduction.

This assumes non-Heroic.

We use a 2 tank setup, with the 2nd tank taunting off the Double Attack. Two things that come about for this, the primary tank that is taking the breaks only needs to be above 10k while Bile-O-Tron is active. The secondary tank (preferably the one with the highest avoidance and/or self heal) needs to be high enough to absorb the Double Attack, which means the DA tank requires more health than the "main" tank. As a Paladin it makes more sense for me to Beacon the MT and Direct Heal the OT. A single Divine Light on the OT + Beacon LoD/WoG/HS on the MT should be enough to get the MT back to +10k. Then follow-up heals on the OT from all healers.

Massacre lowers everyone to 1HP (or dead if they were below 10k).

Bile-O-Tron active? Everyone spreads.
    Bile-O-Tron offline? Everyone clumps on tanks.

The sequence for offline is always the same, check after every massacre to see if Bile-O-Tron is knocked offline and have someone call the clump (as a healer I'll admit I get healer tunnel vision for this fight).

* -4sec, Massacre starts cast.
    * +0sec, Bile-O-Tron offline, Feud starts, Massacre damage occurs, people are running to the tanks to clump up.
    * +15sec, Damage pulse (~40% damage)
    * +20sec, Damage pulse (~40% damage)
    * +25sec, Damage pulse (~40% damage)
    * +26sec, Massacre starts casting again, people are running to spread, healers are getting their assigned targets to +10k.
    * +30sec, Feud finishes, Massacre damage occurs
    * +34sec, First melee hit on tank

You have ~15 seconds to get people to +40%. After the second damage pulse if people are above 50% you can STOP HEALING, anything more will be overheals due to post-feud Massacre. You have 4 seconds after post-Feud massacre to get your tanks to +10k. A single Paladin can usually do this with 1 Divine Light + Beacon'ed heal. Any group heals should be applied in the first 15 seconds to get people through the first splash, check after 1st and 2nd splash on whether you need to continue healing. If people are good enough you can apply regen mechanics or (glyphed) battle rez at the 1st or 2nd damage pulse.

How to tell who to heal via Grid, add "Low Health" to your Grid Status Debuffs. It's SpellId = 89084.

As a Paladin in 10 man, I can easily cover 3 people post Massacre. I can heal the MT/OT/Myself (PotI). Prayer of Healing on a decently geared Holy Priest can bring 5 people in their group to 10k+. Make sure you're not in that group since you'll have PotI. That leaves a 3rd healer to cover 2 people + topping off the OT (Double Attack soaker).
    Last edited by stryhf; 2011-02-19 at 11:13 AM.

Deleted
    What i am thinking is along the lines of, people were closer than 6 yards of eachother.
    There should only ever be 2 people hit by Caustime Slime.

I already tried the top-down/bottom-up healing strategy. Two healers (a resto-shaman and a resto-drood) working on healing from "opposite sides" of the raidframes and me picking up leftover-1HPers. It seemed to me that there were still people at 1 HP the time the next caustic hit.
    The above is what made me think your team are doing it wrong.

Make sure you are spread out and its a piece of piss. Even Holy Light is fast and strong enough to heal one of those people up, while another healer heals the other. The only time its any different is during Massacre, which is where everybody gets knocked to 1 health.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishau View Post
    The above is what made me think your team are doing it wrong.

Make sure you are spread out and its a piece of piss. Even Holy Light is fast and strong enough to heal one of those people up, while another healer heals the other. The only time its any different is during Massacre, which is where everybody gets knocked to 1 health.
    Exactly, even in my 2 Paladin setup, one Holy Light on each Caustic'd person (one from each Paladin) is fast enough to stop it.

Just barely fast enough, but still fast enough.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

15+ Year Old Account
    Im the new healer in our 10man, and didnt really expect it to be that difficult either. I ended up just relying on Flash of Light to get people up quick. I had group 1, holy priest had group 2, if 2 people in g1 got it you dont have a choice but to flash to keep them both up. 3 holy power and a WoG will do as well but thats a 1 person trick unless RNG loves you and you get the refund. Like another guy said up there, the last 20% dont really matter so you dont have to sweat your mana so much. If you keep Judgement on CD, plea when needed, pot, or trick a druid into innervating you its not so bad.
    Was hit with a nerf bat!