The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question PNY XLR8 NVidia GeForce 9800 GT 1GB GDDR3

(Not OCing, ANYTHING)

So tell me, how much would this thing possibly bottleneck an i7-950 3.06GHz CPU coupled with 6GB DDR3@ 1333 MHz RAM? I would like to be able to Fraps during 25 man raids perhaps with Ultra settings enabled and at least at 30 FPS. Do I need a better video card or would this one do for now? I've only had it about 9 months now so replacing it would kind of feel like a waste.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Ummm. Its not the best card but defo worth trying it out when you get your rig built etc. Nothing worse than wasting money.

If you do replace possiable somthing like a gtx 560 gtx 570 or an ati 6950 is a good replacement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gooseuk View Post
    Ummm. Its not the best card but defo worth trying it out when you get your rig built etc. Nothing worse than wasting money.

If you do replace possiable somthing like a gtx 560 gtx 570 or an ati 6950 is a good replacement.
    Yeah I am thinking if I do replace it, I'd go for a GTX 560 Ti, since they have some pretty exceptional reviews. I'd go for the MSI Twin Frozr super well cooled version. :P
    http://www.compusa.com/applications/...?EdpNo=7171406
    "A flower.

Thats the version i have of the 560ti. Very quite i could not belive it.

Any reason why your not going sandy bridge or is that the rig you have already ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gooseuk View Post
    Thats the version i have of the 560ti. Very quite i could not belive it.

Any reason why your not going sandy bridge or is that the rig you have already ?
    I really want to build a new computer sooner than having to wait to get a P67 chipset mobo, yeah it's a little moronic and impatient sounding of me, but that's just me, I'm impatient when I want to build or get a new toy. :P
    I found the i7-950 CPU for only $200 at MicroCenter and figured, what the hell, that's a. cheaper than even the i5-2500k and b. the mobo will likely be cheaper, as I'd be going for the Asus Sabertooth in either case. I've been checking on multiple seller's websites, newegg, compusa/tigerdirect, and microcenter, and none of them have the P67 chipset mobo available yet for me to even check the price on it. >_<

I know I don't need the Sandybridge and seeing how I am not comfortable OCing, I figure the i7-950 will be more than enough to get me through the day.
    "A flower.

The i7-950 is solid. I skip over posts regarding Sandy Bridge(Wish I could set it so anything with those words in it were skipped over!). Anyways about the 9800GT. I Tried with my i7-950 when I First built it in December and the performance with my 9800GT was pretty poor. So I grabbed an EVGA GTX 465 for a decent price. It soars past the 9800GT.

In Short: It will work, You won't get the most out of your PC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mass0wnage View Post
    The i7-950 is solid. I skip over posts regarding Sandy Bridge(Wish I could set it so anything with those words in it were skipped over!). Anyways about the 9800GT. I Tried with my i7-950 when I First built it in December and the performance with my 9800GT was pretty poor. So I grabbed an EVGA GTX 465 for a decent price. It soars past the 9800GT.

In Short: It will work, You won't get the most out of your PC.
    blah, I was hoping this wouldn't be the case.. I'll have to see first how it works. Test before decision imo!
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    blah, I was hoping this wouldn't be the case.. I'll have to see first how it works. Test before decision imo!
    Thats the best way to do it. =) Your's might work better for you then mine did for me. That's what we get for Random card we get when we open the box. If we could only go to the manufacturer, set up a similar PC, and test these things out there. < would be awesome

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mass0wnage View Post
    Thats the best way to do it. =) Your's might work better for you then mine did for me. That's what we get for Random card we get when we open the box. If we could only go to the manufacturer, set up a similar PC, and test these things out there. < would be awesome
    You ought to open a computer parts store and allow for that. You could make a shit ton of money in the process. (Though everyone would of course want to buy brand new cards that have not been tested, perhaps charge $10-20 for testing out parts so as to make some sort of profit from the hassle.)
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I really want to build a new computer sooner than having to wait to get a P67 chipset mobo, yeah it's a little moronic and impatient sounding of me, but that's just me, I'm impatient when I want to build or get a new toy. :P
    I found the i7-950 CPU for only $200 at MicroCenter and figured, what the hell, that's a. cheaper than even the i5-2500k and b. the mobo will likely be cheaper, as I'd be going for the Asus Sabertooth in either case. I've been checking on multiple seller's websites, newegg, compusa/tigerdirect, and microcenter, and none of them have the P67 chipset mobo available yet for me to even check the price on it. >_<

I know I don't need the Sandybridge and seeing how I am not comfortable OCing, I figure the i7-950 will be more than enough to get me through the day.
    Yeah thats no problem. Its odd how me in the uk can go get the sandy bridge stuff and alot of it. And us seems to have recalled it all.

Nothing wrong with the older i5 and i7. My bro has a i7 930 and runs stable overclock of 3.4ghz. There good chips and does enough for what you need.