Elemental Mana regen (PvP Focus)

Elemental is in a bad state for PvP and fixing our mana regen is just a small step, but this should help.

Current rolling thunder: has a 60% chance to proc off lightning bolt and chain lightning, restoring 2% mana and adding a lightning shield charge.

Proposed change: Your lightning bolt and chain lightning have a 60% chance to gain a charge of lightning shield. Each time your lightning shield does damage, you gain 2% mana per charge.

Everything stays the same for PvE, except you get mana in bursts rather than gradually. Whenever you use ES with excess lightning charges you gain that mana back (7 charges = 8% mana, 8 charges = 10% mana, etc..). Net mana change is nothing, assuming your not leaving your lightning shield stacks at 9, which you shouldn't be doing anyways.

For PvP, every time you take damage you get mana back. Instead of having to cast LB or CL to get mana regen, you get it through taking damage or unleashing your excess Lightning shield charges (if people aren't tunneling you allowing you to stack them up, which is almost never). The glyph would remain the same (can go below 3 charges from taking damage), but it would still give you 2% mana for every time it proced (assuming it's staying at 3 charges).

The only down side to this is if you anked or were b-resed, it would take you a little longer to get mana back.

Comments and thoughts welcome.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shampache View Post
    The only down side to this is if you anked or were b-resed, it would take you a little longer to get mana back.
    This is the only downside I see as well, and it can be a pretty big issue.
    As it stands, we can shoot a lightning bolt, get the mana back, and be able to shoot another one. With this change, we'd shoot a lightning bolt, be out of mana, resulting in being forced to wait around for mana to regenerate from buffs.
    Other than that, sounds like a nice idea.

We still have Thunderstorm though.

10+ Year Old Account
    That sounds a little op, having 6 charges of lightning shield (stack of 9) would give you 12% mana back.... so a full earth shock fulmanitation would give 9k+mana back? lol at mages, boomkins and locks complaining about their mana regen if this were to happen

Quote Originally Posted by the kins man View Post
    That sounds a little op, having 6 charges of lightning shield (stack of 9) would give you 12% mana back.... so a full earth shock fulmanitation would give 9k+mana back? lol at mages, boomkins and locks complaining about their mana regen if this were to happen
    Be gone troll.

Not a bad idea,but maybe instead of 2% mana/charge it would be 1% to make it a lil more balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexaddict View Post
    Not a bad idea,but maybe instead of 2% mana/charge it would be 1% to make it a lil more balanced.
    It's the same amount of mana as before (PvE wise). The benefit to this change is for PvP. You can't stand there and chain cast LB or CL in arenas, so you have little to no mana regen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shampache View Post
    Be gone troll.
    Lol, I say that when playing an elemental shaman.... 12% mana back roughly every 30-40 seconds would be fairly overpowered.... Yes this design is made with pvp in mind, but blizzard shows that they look at pve and pvp components (although recently with shaman, they've made design changes based off pvp)

Lol, I say that when playing an elemental shaman.... 12% mana back roughly every 30-40 seconds would be fairly overpowered.... Yes this design is made with pvp in mind, but blizzard shows that they look at pve and pvp components (although recently with shaman, they've made design changes based off pvp)
    either a very obvious troll, or a very misinformed player.

Deleted
    normally you dont specc into rolling thunder in a pvp specc. Furthermore there would be no difference to running with water shield since you will never be able to get a fulmination off and you also get mana back when taking damage. you can put those 3 points somewhere else.

Tho elemental is not PvP viable atm. Inb4 1500 scrubs tell how much fun they have getting 20k lavaburts in battlegrounds with berserker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking at elemental shamans, in arenas and bg's lightning shield is not stacking at the same rate as in pve environments, due to constant movement, as well as melee/ranged beating on you more so than a raid boss does. However, in pve environments, with current haste, procs, etc its possible to stack lightning shield from 3 to 9 in roughly 20 seconds, if you're lucky with elemental mastery procs, as well as rolling thunder procs... Thats why ideally you'll be casting an earth shock with 9 lightning shield orbs 30-40 seconds (unless you cast earth shock with fewer than 9 shield charges so as not to clip your maintaining flame shock on the target) due to taking into account a crappy proc rate, etc.

While this topic did focus on pvp (and thus I apologize posting in it, as I don't have uber arena experience) and the orginal poster's idea would make some sense, looking at blizzard's overall philosophy with balencing pve and pvp talents it would not work.

My orginal post regarding boomkins, mages and locks complaining about their mana regen if this were to happen, is based off the fact that at the present time I can do a twenty minute fight w/o dropping below 75% mana. (Yes locks have life tap, but it wastes a gcd, and boomkins have innervate, mages have evocation) When looking at sustaining mana, while maintaining high dps, elemental shaman are head and shoulders above other casting classes right now.

[QUOTE=the kins man;10494358 (Yes locks have life tap, but it wastes a gcd, and boomkins have innervate, mages have evocation) When looking at sustaining mana, while maintaining high dps, elemental shaman are head and shoulders above other casting classes right now.[/QUOTE]
    You seem to fail in thinking ele actually does good dps
    http://stateofdps.com/
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

lock infinate mana bro.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEnergy View Post
    normally you dont specc into rolling thunder in a pvp specc. Furthermore there would be no difference to running with water shield since you will never be able to get a fulmination off and you also get mana back when taking damage. you can put those 3 points somewhere else.

Tho elemental is not PvP viable atm. Inb4 1500 scrubs tell how much fun they have getting 20k lavaburts in battlegrounds with berserker.
    This would help change that. Blizzard doesn't want Elemental using water shield, the problem is that we have to use it (at least at times) in PvP. With this change you would get the mana you need from Lightning shield and have some bonus damage when being focused. Although you don't get 9 stack Lightning shields in arenas, unloading even a 5 stack has it's uses (I have my engineering gloves macroed along with it as well ).

3 talent points isn't a whole lot. The talent tree is flexible enough to pick it up if you wish.

Throwing my 2 cents in..

Without extended thought on this...
    I find the changes you propose extremely Op for mana regen, although i did like the part where after you earthshock at max lightning shield charges (err 9 i think) you also get mana back.

However, i think blizz can fix the elemental shaman 4 set pvp bonus and give it something attractive for the ele shaman
    An idea i had in mind for the elemental 4 set bonus is to not make lightning shield stack gained via rolling thunder to drop from taking dmg... This would help alot because every elemental shaman find fulmination attractive for pvp but would rather not spec it because in its current state you lose the charge 100x faster than you can gain. Due to the fact that lightning shield can already be dispelled, I think this could be a balanced change.

My reason for this is that, elemental shamans do not get to stand there cast lightning bolt all day. so getting lightning bolt charges stacked to full almost never happens.

The change that i have in mind + the mana return on a earth shock depending on how much shield stack you have gained would really help to resolve some of the issues with elemental pvp

Ishockqt
    Elemental Shaman
    US-Cairne
    Last edited by brucebruce; 2011-02-18 at 10:23 PM.

Looking at elemental shamans, in arenas and bg's lightning shield is not stacking at the same rate as in pve environments, due to constant movement, as well as melee/ranged beating on you more so than a raid boss does. However, in pve environments, with current haste, procs, etc its possible to stack lightning shield from 3 to 9 in roughly 20 seconds, if you're lucky with elemental mastery procs, as well as rolling thunder procs... Thats why ideally you'll be casting an earth shock with 9 lightning shield orbs 30-40 seconds (unless you cast earth shock with fewer than 9 shield charges so as not to clip your maintaining flame shock on the target) due to taking into account a crappy proc rate, etc.

While this topic did focus on pvp (and thus I apologize posting in it, as I don't have uber arena experience) and the orginal poster's idea would make some sense, looking at blizzard's overall philosophy with balencing pve and pvp talents it would not work.

My orginal post regarding boomkins, mages and locks complaining about their mana regen if this were to happen, is based off the fact that at the present time I can do a twenty minute fight w/o dropping below 75% mana. (Yes locks have life tap, but it wastes a gcd, and boomkins have innervate, mages have evocation) When looking at sustaining mana, while maintaining high dps, elemental shaman are head and shoulders above other casting classes right now.
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=81062 -Boomkin mana.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=85175 -Demo lock

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=30295 -destro lock

kinda lost intrest after that.

the main thing you need to do, is go read what the spells you are taking about do.

Current rolling thunder: has a 60% chance to proc off lightning bolt and chain lightning, restoring 2% mana and adding a lightning shield charge.

Proposed change: Your lightning bolt and chain lightning have a 60% chance to gain a charge of lightning shield. Each time your lightning shield does damage, you gain 2% mana per charge.
    the changes he suggested would make no change to pve regen and would make it so when shamans get trained they would still get some regen.

Quote Originally Posted by brucebruce View Post
    Without extended thought on this...
    I find the changes you propose extremely Op for mana regen, although i did like the part where after you earthshock at max lightning shield charges (err 9 i think) you also get mana back.

However, i think blizz can fix the elemental shaman 4 set pvp bonus and give it something attractive for the ele shaman
    An idea i had in mind for the elemental 4 set bonus is to not make lightning shield stack gained via rolling thunder to drop from taking dmg... This would help alot because every elemental shaman find fulmination attractive for pvp but would rather not spec it because in its current state you lose the charge 100x faster than you can gain. Due to the fact that lightning shield can already be dispelled, I think this could be a balanced change.

My reason for this is that, elemental shamans do not get to stand there cast lightning bolt all day. so getting lightning bolt charges stacked to full almost never happens.

The change that i have in mind + the mana return on a earth shock depending on how much shield stack you have gained would really help to resolve some of the issues with elemental pvp

Ishockqt
    Elemental Shaman
    US-Cairne
    1. I fail to see how the mana return is considered OP. Water Shield returns ~1500 mana and has a static 354 Mp5. 2% mana per charge seems on par with Water Shield. Both Lightning and Water Shield can be dispelled.

2. PvP set bonus's are almost never changed. I would like to see some variation with them, but Blizzard is pretty content with the way they are.

rolling thunder is barely any mana gain in arenas unless the other team is ignoring you and thats unrealistic also in any short of half long fight you are gonna oom really fast, with a full set of pvp gear focused on haste my lightning bolt doesnt go under 1.7 sec with woa and you cant really keep up woa up if you are using grounding often without glyph that leads to the next problem : the 4pc set bonus is very weak to say the least, specially if using the glyph thats intended to be used for pvp (the glyph could use a buff aswell)

Quote Originally Posted by Rehea View Post
    rolling thunder is barely any mana gain in arenas unless the other team is ignoring you and thats unrealistic also in any short of half long fight you are gonna oom really fast, with a full set of pvp gear focused on haste my lightning bolt doesnt go under 1.7 sec with woa and you cant really keep up woa up if you are using grounding often without glyph that leads to the next problem : the 4pc set bonus is very weak to say the least, specially if using the glyph thats intended to be used for pvp (the glyph could use a buff aswell)
    1) That's what this is trying to fix.
    2) I've been focusing more on mastery for PvP, the little bit of haste doesn't seem to help much at this gear level.
    3) Yes, I agree 4 set is lack luster since they removed the talents reducing the cooldown on grounding totem.

I posted this on the US WoW forums. Feel free to comment there or copy it to EU forums if you wish.

Well if you want to complain about mana regen and machanics of the class, fine, do it up. I would however strongly point out to NEVER put in your idea of how to fix the problem. Blizzard typically begins to ignore threads asap once they see someone suggesting the type of fix they would want or what they believe will solve the problem, as they feel you're immediately asking for a buff. Also though I really don't think this is truly needed. As an elemental shaman, you should be focusing almost all your mana on a healer. Preventing them from healing their allies because of 'Damage done to them,' and 'interrupts'. I don't play an elemental shaman in arena, I play resto.

If MP5 is killing you, only thing I can say is 'treat it just like wotlk'. Shamans were healers or melee unless it was a LSD team. Other then that, all I can say is get a new team and do 3v3 or go resto/ench for 2v2.

TL;DR-Valid complaint, don't make suggestions, go healer or enh for arena. Don't like those specs, deal with it. Other classes basically only had one or two trees to choose from for PvP for an entire expansion, just something to deal with for the time being.
    Kick me, your limping. Stab me, your bleeding.