Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Warlocks broken in pvp?

Hello, iam not a experience player of pvp, but i ask this anyways for the good guys.. hehe

Feels like my class is really broken in pvp, all healers dispelling my UA without any problem. and our dmg sucks? imo affliction dont have any "burst" dmg, like shadow priest 55k mindblast. what does we have? some dots that being dispelled all the time and shadowbolt with 2.5 sec cast.

Is it only me? or does warlock needs to get buffed in pvp? the latest patch was only nerfs what i can see for pvp.. it was fine if you ask me.

So what can they do, blizzard without buffing our affliction pve dmg to much? or maybe its just me that thinks like this. but that would be retarded if its only me that gets my dots dispelled.

Iam not needed anywhere, for example in rated bg, why bring a lock when you can bring mages?

As affliction I run with 2400+ rated bg players but in arena .. I don't even feel like doing it anymore. The lack of defensive cooldowns as well as nerfing our CoEx makes it really sad. Some kind of interrupt protection would be nice at the very least, so we can get a haunt out .. even though everything will be dispelled anyways.

Yes I think there are a few issues (slight) with affliction warlocks. The problem seems pretty obvious to me: Warlocks are strong in certain settings and weak in other settings. For example, in 3v3, paired with another damage dealer, warlocks are great. In 3v3 there are limited chances and time, to dispel dots, especially if your partners are doing the job. A good warlock can put out good pressure in 3v3. But on the other hand, in 2v2, affliction is severely gimped when facing any healer combo.

Currently healers are able to dispell ALL dots, without going oom. Outside of a death coil / silence combo, there is hardly a chance for a kill against a good team. Pair that with the mana drain removal, add in the fact that Non-healing classes healing is grossly OVERPOWERED (in my opinion) and we've got a problem. Now while I know (and completely agree with) that Blizzard is trying to balance PvP around 3v3, I can sit here for 2 minutes, and think of several fixes that would help, and not overbuff, warlocks. Apart from buffing overall DoT damage, the following could be done.

Fix 1 - Add a talent to the affliction tree (or make it passive) doing the following: Increases all the warlocks damage done to players by 10% while only one target is afflicted with any dots.

This would help single target damage, while not effecting multiple target damage, would not effect pve, and would help in 2v2. Win, Win, Win

Fix 2 - Fix the dispelling issue. The obvious change, is to make the silence from dispelling UA longer, and increasing the damage taken from dispelling UA. But here's an interesting idea: Dispelling Unstable Affliction will cause an undispellable debuff to be placed on the dispeller, draining 1000 mana per second for 8 seconds. The numbers would need to be tweaked to be reasonably effective, but you get the idea. Since mana drain no longer exists, I don't think this would be overpowered at all.

Idea 3 - One other thing I would like to see warlocks get, is more dot control by adding this simple ability: Removes all dots from selected target.

Add that, in conjunction with FIX 1, and I think warlocks would be in a VERY strong state. It would also raise the skill cap, and it would be very easy to see the difference between good and bad warlocks.

There's three quick ideas that I think would make warlocks stronger. Implementing these three things might actually make warlocks too powerful, but I think they would be a great change. What do you think?
    Last edited by Lokken; 2011-02-19 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokken View Post
    Yes I think there are a few issues (slight) with affliction warlocks. The problem seems pretty obvious to me: Warlocks are strong in certain settings and weak in other settings. For example, in 3v3, paired with another damage dealer, warlocks are great. In 3v3 there are limited chances and time, to dispel dots, especially if your partners are doing the job. A good warlock can put out great pressure in 3v3. But on the other hand, in 2v2, affliction is severely gimped when facing any healer combo.

Currently healers are able to dispell ALL dots, without going oom. Outside of a death coil / silence combo, there is hardly a chance for a kill against a good team. Pair that with the mana drain removal, add in the fact that Non-healing classes healing is grossly OVERPOWERED (in my opinion) and we've got a problem. Now while I know (and completely agree with) that Blizzard is trying to balance PvP around 3v3, I can sit here for 2 minutes, and think of several fixes that would help, and not overbuff, warlocks.

Fix 1 - Add a talent to the affliction tree (or make it passive) doing the following: Increases all the warlocks damage done to players by 10% while only one target is afflicted with any dots.

This would help single target damage, while not effecting multiple target damage, would not effect pve, and would help in 2v2. Win, Win, Win

Fix 2 - Fix the dispelling issue. The obvious change, is to make the silence from dispelling UA longer, and increasing the damage taken from dispelling UA. But here's an interesting idea: Dispelling Unstable Affliction will cause an undispellable debuff to be placed on the dispeller, draining 1000 mana per second for 8 seconds. The numbers would need to be tweaked to be reasonably effective, but you get the idea. Since mana drain no longer exists, I don't think this would be overpowered at all.

Idea 3 - One other thing I would like to see warlocks get, is more dot control by adding this simple ability: Removes all dots from selected target.

Add that, in conjunction with FIX 1, and I think warlocks would be in a VERY strong state. It would also raise the skill cap, and it would be very easy to see the difference between good and bad warlocks.

There's three quick ideas that I think would make warlocks stronger. Implementing these three things might actually make warlocks too powerful, but I think they would be a great change. What do you think?
    Blizzard stopped balancing around 2v2 when they stopped awarding gear, titles and mounts for it. In 2s, you don't get outplayed; you get out"classed."

Warlock's current arena, duel or solo PvP performance is disturbingly weak. I'm playing lock since closed beta and never before it was less fun to play a lock in pvp than it is now, it's a pain in the ass, really. You can't do shit atm. you also can't kill shit alone because dots tick a little lower than they did on 80, atm. and how blizzard came to the great idea of nerfing UA is a miracle to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shadowplay/Shadowcleave/RLS are all VERY easy comps. Like really. I'm playing shadowplay atm @ 2600 rating. You may be playing bad comps..

---------- Post added 2011-02-18 at 08:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by emopriest View Post
    Iam not needed anywhere, for example in rated bg, why bring a lock when you can bring mages?
    Why do RBG's when you can do arenas?

10+ Year Old Account
    Idea 3 already exists, un-glyphed soul swap. Secondly, affliction never had burst, thats counter to the spec's niche. Dots never have been about burst. And if you're letting a spriest get a 55k crit on you, thats your fault, you either need more resil, or to not let them ramp up on you. I kill spriests much more easily than i do afflic locks. As far as interrupt protection, blizz gives you two very good options that top players have been using for a long time. 1 Searing Pain: it does dmg and you dont have to worry about loosing all of your core spells.(afflic. locks have been using it for a long time) and now we have fel-fire. Sure, its not a full on nuke, but its dmg you can do on the move without risk of spell lockout.) Ever seen a frost mage play? I do agree that there needs to be a stiffer penalty on dispels. They're still too strong, especially for shamman/palidans who have a vast array of instant spells. Afflic is about wearing your opponent down, and making good use of pressure/target swaps. Blizz has always said, they dont balance around 1v1. Give yourself the proper combo and you'll see magic!

Quote Originally Posted by Lokken View Post

Fix 1 is just a straight buff, Probably better just upping haunt damage

Fix 2 I really like except 8k is usually around 8-12% of a persons mana pool. 4k would be make sense otherwise you might as well make our dots undispellable there needs to be a choice

Idea 3 thats soul swap unglyphed, it's a choice you have to make.
    Because some players aren't looking for anything logical, like loot. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some players just want to watch the group fail.

Locks are fine.

Only possibility is to buff UA silence back to 5s and make CoE 50% again.

30% is bad.

But overall.. locks are fine.

Keep UA at 4 seconds, make it hit harder when dispelled. It easily used to hit for 35% of the dispeler's health pool, not it's just a tickle. Not to mention once dispelled and kited around a corner, you are basically doing no damage.
    Now these points of data make a beautiful line.

UA is one of two moves in the game that have any form of dispel protection, the other being a Shadow Priests "Vampric Touch".

The fact that a WARLOCK, or ALL classes is complaining in any way, shape, or form about their class "underperforming" in PvP is an absolutely joke. The ONLY thing that Warlocks don't have currently is high burst, and if they ever did get burst damage they'd be beyond broken.

Go look at the top teams on ANY battlegroup, and it will be flooded with nothing but Warlocks (our BG has 9 locks in the top 10).

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Warlocks are not fine. Read this rather lengthy, but highly informative and accurate post on the official forums and be amazed:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2065790724

---------- Post added 2011-02-19 at 07:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
    UA is one of two moves in the game that have any form of dispel protection, the other being a Shadow Priests "Vampric Touch".

The fact that a WARLOCK, or ALL classes is complaining in any way, shape, or form about their class "underperforming" in PvP is an absolutely joke. The ONLY thing that Warlocks don't have currently is high burst, and if they ever did get burst damage they'd be beyond broken.

Go look at the top teams on ANY battlegroup, and it will be flooded with nothing but Warlocks (our BG has 9 locks in the top 10).
    Did have plenty of warlocks. Warlock representation has dropped substantially since the patch and still dropping. Check the current reports and be sure the data looked at is post-patch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Boocifer View Post
    As affliction I run with 2400+ rated bg players but in arena .. I don't even feel like doing it anymore. The lack of defensive cooldowns
    Warlocks do not have a lack of defensive cooldowns... I play Elemental Shaman and Demonolgy Warlock in PvP, and my lock has an insanely greater chance of surviving dangerous situations than my Shaman does even without heals. If anyone has a lack of survival it's Elemental Shaman.

On topic: I have read around a lot and seen many claim Warlocks are weak in PvP, I have also seen a decrease in Warlocks participating in BG's and Arena's. Yet I don't see where all of this is coming from, I play as I previously stated Elemental Shaman and Demonology Warlock in PvP and I'm doing rather fine so far. Sure some classes are hard nuts do be dealt with but thats the way balance works, some classes are easier, some harder, some feel just blast out impossible but the more you play the easier time you will have against them.

I'm no hard core player and have yet to make it above 2400 rating, but I'm sure as heck having fun playing the classes plus specs I love. If my class is underpowered/broken I think of that as a challenge and it gives me a much bigger thrill to dominate in PvP against so to call overpowered opponents.

15+ Year Old Account
    Locks need a powerful singletarget nuke.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by charnyl View Post
    Warlocks are not fine. Read this rather lengthy, but highly informative and accurate post on the official forums and be amazed:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2065790724[COLOR="red"]
    Great read, Relmesh has a lot of valid points and great ideas for solutions to the current issues Warlocks have. I hope Blizzard reads and consider these changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorados View Post
    Great read, Relmesh has a lot of valid points and great ideas for solutions to the current issues Warlocks have. I hope Blizzard reads and consider these changes.
    Great post, and interestingly enough, some of the things mentioned were advocated strongly during the beta phase of the game, but as usual, the beta feedback about class abilities are often neglected.
    The broken demon soul pet system and shadowflame were a known issue from the very start of cata beta (and for shadow flame, wotlk beta), and the amount of times shadow embrace as a self buff was mentioned in the huge warlock thread was just about every 2nd post.

I really do hope blizzard gets their thumbs out now, cause the new and shiny mechanics and improved gameplay we were promised just never manifested.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeviant View Post
    Idea 3 already exists, un-glyphed soul swap. Secondly, affliction never had burst, thats counter to the spec's niche. Dots never have been about burst. And if you're letting a spriest get a 55k crit on you, thats your fault, you either need more resil, or to not let them ramp up on you. I kill spriests much more easily than i do afflic locks. As far as interrupt protection, blizz gives you two very good options that top players have been using for a long time. 1 Searing Pain: it does dmg and you dont have to worry about loosing all of your core spells.(afflic. locks have been using it for a long time) and now we have fel-fire. Sure, its not a full on nuke, but its dmg you can do on the move without risk of spell lockout.) Ever seen a frost mage play? I do agree that there needs to be a stiffer penalty on dispels. They're still too strong, especially for shamman/palidans who have a vast array of instant spells. Afflic is about wearing your opponent down, and making good use of pressure/target swaps. Blizz has always said, they dont balance around 1v1. Give yourself the proper combo and you'll see magic!
    How do you stop a spriest getting orbs? I have a dispel on a 15 second cooldown and priests have other magic buffs. Spriests are a better version of an affliction lock and are the best caster in the game right now.

Deleted
    shadow priest is a stronger version of the affliction warlock indeed! They need to be nerfed to the ground at the moment! or they need to buff affliction to make the same amount of damage! I mean shadow priest dots, ticks for nearly 2k more than mine, and they have mindblast/mindspike that hits for 30k+ and with 3 orbs + that talent in disc tree they can do 60k+++ mind blast in pvp. and that is fun?

Anyways, iam looking so fucking forward to patch 4.1 and if they dont do anything good for warlocks, i quit this game.

Warlock full pvp gear 3.6 res ilvl 361

drain life: 8k crit
    UA: 7.5 crit
    corr: 6.5 crit
    agony: 3.5 crit
    haunt: 10k
    shadowbolt proc: 19k

Shadow priest dinged 85 yday full blue tailoring pvp gear ilvl 332

mindflay: 6.5k crit
    VT: 6.5k crit
    shadowwordpain: 5k crit
    DP: 5k crit
    Mindblast 3xorbs: 70k crit
    mindblast: 30k crit
    improved devouring plague: 11k crit
    mindspike: 20k

THis was made on lvl 60 dummie, yea i know you cant calculate things like this, but really?

used no trinkets

buff inc?
    Last edited by mmoc36dd441536; 2011-02-19 at 02:41 PM. Reason: added more stuff

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by emopriest View Post
    shadow priest is a stronger version of the affliction warlock indeed! They need to be nerfed to the ground at the moment! or they need to buff affliction to make the same amount of damage! I mean shadow priest dots, ticks for nearly 2k more than mine, and they have mindblast/mindspike that hits for 30k+ and with 3 orbs + that talent in disc tree they can do 60k+++ mind blast in pvp. and that is fun?

Anyways, iam looking so fucking forward to patch 4.1 and if they dont do anything good for warlocks, i quit this game.
    Warlocks are not bad, spriests are just very op and will probably get their defensive dispel removed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobzies View Post
    Warlocks are not bad, spriests are just very op and will probably get their defensive dispel removed.
    nah getting our dots dispelled 24/7 is not bad, its so fucking awesome overpowered!