Thread: Shadow Healing?

Shadow Healing?

I had an interesting idea today. I don't play a priest, but I've been following the drama about PW:S for some time.
    So here's a thought: why not do it as Shadow?

Shadow has masochism, restoring 10% of your max mana whenever you damage yourself with SW: D. Surely this massive mana regen could fuel a full-on PW:S spam, no?
    Last edited by Maelstrom51; 2011-02-20 at 01:10 AM.

yes, except the facts that you'll do little to no dps, your shield has a 3 second cd, your bubble will absorb about half of what a disc priest's would, and you couldnt help heal with ooming yourself

Don't forget that you can only cast Shadow Word Death once every 12 seconds unless the target is under 25%, so this isn't even close to enough mana regen to fuel spamming bubbles. Oh yes, and you would have absolutely no passive mana regen in combat.
    Last edited by Abandon; 2011-02-20 at 01:04 AM.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by holycrapfour View Post
    yes, except the facts that you'll do little to no dps, your shield has a 3 second cd, your bubble will absorb about half of what a disc priest's would, and you couldnt help heal with ooming yourself
    Holy doesn't have anything buffing PW:S absorb, and it was viable for PW:S spamming with the Body and Soul change (which was re-nerfed). And if you're speccing shadow just for PW:S spam, you'd obviously spec into Soul Warding.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Don't forget that you can only cast Shadow Word Death once every 12 seconds unless the target is under 25%, so this isn't even close to enough mana regen to fuel spamming bubbles. Oh yes, and you would have absolutely no passive mana regen in combat.
    Oh right, forgot about the long CD on SW: D. Not well thought through, I guess.

Shadow does have a lot of mana-regaining abilities though, like Dispersion, which is 36% mana every 1.25 minutes with glyph, Masochism which is 5% anytime you damage yourself with SW Or if you get hit for 10% or more of your health, shadowfiend and the sin and punishment talent that lowers it's cd, it would defiantly be tough to go oom imo

Masochism on Chimeraon is pretty much max mana all the way right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    Masochism on Chimeraon is pretty much max mana all the way right?
    Yes, pretty much.

15+ Year Old Account
    I love you guys so much.

At this rate, we will have Power Word: Shield removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
    I love you guys so much.

At this rate, we will have Power Word: Shield removed.
    ^This. Stop with the bubblespam crap already. It's been stated numerous times that Blizzard does not want it, so stop trying to find ways to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Deleted
    At 10% mana every 12s from masochism you're not really ahead of disc's 7% mana every 12s from rapture, given disc has spirit regen running as well. I can't see any reason to go shadow over disc for this really.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shadow Healing works extremely well for pvp, I've been doing it that way since Cata came out. It doesn't work for pve, even with my 2 talent points in Empowered healing you just don't have enough throughput. Unless of course your 10man needs you to pinch heal if necessary but otherwise dps. Chimaeron is a good example of a fight that is easier with some more heals that only need to be strong enough to get you to 10K, but then the last phase you just need tons of dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    ^This. Stop with the bubblespam crap already. It's been stated numerous times that Blizzard does not want it, so stop trying to find ways to do it.
    Stop trying to find the best ways to play?

Healing in a dps spec is not "finding the best ways to play" its beyond abusing mechanics and just down right silly. You cant even spam with a 3 sec cd. The only way disc was able to spam bubbles at all was through retarded amounts of mastery and external mana regen. Go for it though, people who don't even play a priests trying to get them nerfed for abusing mechanics... gg

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocap View Post
    Healing in a dps spec is not "finding the best ways to play" its beyond abusing mechanics and just down right silly. You cant even spam with a 3 sec cd.
    You cant even spam with a 3 sec cd.
    spam with a 3 sec cd.
    3 sec cd.
    Rage.

Such rage.

Deleted
    Why would you want to spam it anyway, do you lack the skill to do anything else ??

I hate bad players

Quote Originally Posted by Halkett View Post
    Why would you want to spam it anyway, do you lack the skill to do anything else ??

I hate bad players
    Because it was proving to be the highest HPS. Thus the reason blizz nerfed it because they don't want you facerolling 1 button to win like in WOTLK.

I hate uninformed people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

You cant even spam with a 3 sec cd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
    Rage.

Such rage.
    I'll handle this one.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=78500

Soul Warding Rank 2
    Reduces the cooldown of your Power Word: Shield ability by 2 sec.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bbGobZZGbGdMzrd0fo

Cooldown is not an issue for any spec.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

While I certainly do heal in Shadow spec sometimes (as in in certein phases of encounters when I think there is a need for it (as in nef phase 2, chimeron phase 2) I would not create a spec just for it or take a place in the raid as "healer" - and I use PoH mostly since we have a disc. Also: masochism doesn't work if the damage of SW is absorbed :/