Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Whats the point of going to college?

Currently im in college for network engineer but the more i look at it the more i say whats the point of going to college after you graduate you are back to square one *least in my case*. here is an example me for instance i can't get a job because i don't have transportation to get a good job i am limited to probably within 10miles of where i live and there isn't much around here. I been offered plenty of good jobs for IT but can't accept cause the distance is to far and i have no one in my family to help me so why should i continue to go to school and get my 4yr degree when i am done i am just back to square one...not like i can work at mcdonalds and try to save money for one since i been there done that and they just don't pay enough.
    Any prize that's worth having usually requires a risk. No matter how big the risk don't ever think twice just do it!

Get a car. Problem solved. At least in that context...

It depends on the field. You'd be surprised how low the glass ceiling is in IT for people without a college degree. A good friend of mine worked in IT as a member of the Air Force for six years. When he got out, he had to return to school in order to move up in the field despite his experience.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Consider Bicycling.

Public Transport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

What I've seen so far in the IT field is actual experience is valued far more than anything else. It took me 3 weeks of college to realize I wasn't going to gain much from it, and now I'm working as a Network Systems Technician for Stanley at only 19.

buying a car isn't the same as buying a CAR.
    i drive a BMW 320i 2 liter 6 cilinder pumping out 150horsepower.
    yet i payed 1000euro's? fixed some small things including a spot on the rear that started to rust and now i have a good car that didn't cost me more then 1200 tops!

hell if i just wanted the car to go from a to b and wouldn't care what car it was i could get a running car for 300 bucks!
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

The issue is not education, the issue is your living situation.

Move.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    It depends on the field. You'd be surprised how low the glass ceiling is in IT for people without a college degree. A good friend of mine worked in IT as a member of the Air Force for six years. When he got out, he had to return to school in order to move up in the field despite his experience.
    This exactly. While you'll be able to find a job pretty decently you'll be surprised how necessary a degree is to progress further. I've been in the IT field for 7 years and have just now decided to get a degree because of a certification requiring it. If I had done it before I'd have that certification right now and easily make a 6 figure salary, even with just a two year degree. Take my word for it, a degree is very much worth it, even just an associates. Experience will come, but when you've got a full time job down the road then getting a degree is considerably harder than it will be for you now, take advantage of that.

To add, if you're turned off by college due to the requirements of taking courses you're not interested in as part of the degree I highly recommend looking into a technical school instead. Most of them you can be accepted in only require a minimum SAT/ACT score which is easy to accomplish.

---------- Post added 2011-02-18 at 12:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vandrel View Post
    What I've seen so far in the IT field is actual experience is valued far more than anything else. It took me 3 weeks of college to realize I wasn't going to gain much from it, and now I'm working as a Network Systems Technician for Stanley at only 19.
    IT isn't hard to get into, but as myself and another has said it's incredibly difficult to progress in to a certain point because you get to a certain job level where they require a degree, or at least prefer one. And as I said, it's much, much easier to get a degree as a full time student than having to do so with a full time job.
    Last edited by sicness; 2011-02-18 at 05:01 AM.

I feel like in *most* majors, college is more of a right of passage than a certificate of knowledge. If you successfully graduate in a major, you are definitely going to be versed in the basics, or if you go to a good school, the slightly-above basics in your field. But the company you work for is going to teach you what they want you to do. A diploma just shows them you are smart, and (if you go to a good school) hard working so that they'll be able to work with you to become the worker they need.

Quote Originally Posted by Whyhello View Post
    I feel like in *most* majors, college is more of a right of passage than a certificate of knowledge. If you successfully graduate in a major, you are definitely going to be versed in the basics, or if you go to a good school, the slightly-above basics in your field. But the company you work for is going to teach you what they want you to do. A diploma just shows them you are smart, and (if you go to a good school) hard working so that they'll be able to work with you to become the worker they need.
    I don't think a lot of places that hire engineers care what grade you got in calculus II, they just care that you have a sheet of paper saying that you passed the class. It's a crude analogy, but I think it fits. It may seem pointless to some, but it's a very good method of assuring somebody they hire isn't a waste of time. Because a sheet of paper saying you did something is difficult to come by, it's great for employers.

A university diploma is a necessity nowadays, regardless of your line of work. That is, of course, unless you work into something that does not require a degree (plumber, electrician, cook, etc...). Many companies would rather hire someone with a college degree in an unrelated discipline and then teach him to work than hire someone with experience but no degree (obviously this only applies to non-professional fields; no companies will hire an english major for a researching job in chemistry).

What does college have to do with transportation? Get a loan and buy a car.

Or wake up really early in the morning and run 10+ miles to work.

10+ Year Old Account
    every college degree is going to require you moving at least once in your lifetime.

Having a diploma is worlds apart from not having one. I was highly experienced in my old career (6 years then), great at what I did, but due to only having an associates degree (yay for broke parents and FL laws on financial aid) kept getting passed over for promotions for some wet behind the ears kid who has a 4 year degree and 0 experience. If you have the money or credit, get your 4+ year degree. It beats the hell out of having to train your boss in how to do his job. And it beats trying to finish your 4 year degree in your mid 30's.
    Last edited by Furbiscuit; 2011-02-18 at 06:02 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Gotta agree with the general sentiment here. Most places like seeing a degree because it (generally) means that you can dedicate yourself to a long term project and are passably intelligent. In most fields, what you learn in school is only a tiny bit of what you need to know, and you get the rest on the job.

I'd seriously advise that you finish off your degree. I recently hooked up a buddy of mine with an IT job at my company (I'm friends with most of the HR dept). They decided to train him for a supervisor position because he's got his Master's. That's quite a bit more salary-wise.

As for the car situation. Do what I did when I was in college. Apply for a mess of small scholarships that kick back unused funds as a refund to you, and buy a beater to last until you can afford something better. If you're lucky like me, you might even get enough to buy something nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepinglamia
    Also another reason being a female is awesome. No epeens Ah not to be controlled by my own genitalia! :O
    Quote Originally Posted by Marath
    This is a good point... do you have e-bajango or e-boobie competitions in the same way?

I like that word... e-bajango

10+ Year Old Account
    I walk to my job which is in Barnes and Noble, a few blocks away from my college in DC.

But college for me at least, is the only way I can be taken seriously in the real world when I present my portfolio to game developers/animation and special effects studios. I want to work as a concept/3D modelling/special effects artist and getting a degree in a known college in the art world will really help. Also, my college offers internships with the likes of Pixar and other big name companies.

Without the college connections, I doubt I'd even have a shot at even getting into a company like that.

Degree = larger job pool and bigger chances of getting a nice career.

Just finished an AAS in Computer Network Management. I've been looking for work since Dec with no luck. Companies want experience in Citrix or they are looking for programmers. I didn't know what virtualization was until 2 week after I graduated and we had no programming classes whatsoever. Helpdesk jobs are avaiable, starting at $8.50/hr and I'd have to commute 100 miles a day to get one. Back to factory work for me if I can find it, at least the pay is better. Feels like a complete waste of 2 years.

As others have said, without a degree you'll find yourself hitting a salary ceiling rather quickly, and so while you may find a decent paying job currently (for someone your age) you're basically going to be stuck at that living, and will probably regret it later. And remember, the later you get your degree the less good it will do you. Also, as to the transportation issue you could really just work at McDonald's for a month, get enough money to buy some sort of car, then get a job at one of those IT places and make twice as much. Or as others have said use public transportation.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghazpharro View Post
    Just finished an AAS in Computer Network Management. I've been looking for work since Dec with no luck. Companies want experience in Citrix or they are looking for programmers. I didn't know what virtualization was until 2 week after I graduated and we had no programming classes whatsoever. Helpdesk jobs are avaiable, starting at $8.50/hr and I'd have to commute 100 miles a day to get one. Back to factory work for me if I can find it, at least the pay is better. Feels like a complete waste of 2 years.
    Well at least now that you have a degree you have a possibility of getting a good job, as opposed to working at a factory for the rest of your life.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in the same boat. My issue lately has been that I'm studying Classical Civilization and find that I really, really struggle with the multiple choice/true false crap that most classes are. I've considered dropping out numerous times because, at least in the States, going to college for 4 years is pointless. You spend the first 2 retaking high school classes are slightly harder. I want classes that actually relate to my field of study. That means stuff like researching and writing papers in hopes of some publication. That doesn't mean taking Biology, Chemistry, Calculus, etc.

The sad part is it's pretty much necessary to have a diploma in today's world. Unless you are one of those really lucky people who somehow succeeds without college, it's needed. I'm just fed up with the fact that I'm forced to take classes that will in no way help me in my career. "Core" classes are a load of shit really.

The really sad part is that a college degree means nothing. Everyone is expected to have it. How many college grads end up having a useless diploma and just getting cubicle jobs?
    Last edited by Shamslam; 2011-02-18 at 06:16 AM.
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.