Thread: guided tours

guided tours

Blizz is often criticized about the very poor "training" given to its players for all manner of things....in particular dungeon and raid aspects of the game.

It would be very simple for them to implement a "guided tour" of dungeons etc as a "ghostly observer" with a "preferred" group (even as a quest) and show key aspects of the instance...hell they could even charge some G for it....it would certainly help new players come to grip with dungeon/raid mechanics and it would add another Gold sink for Blizz.

Once they add the new map interface in 4.1 that shows the boss abilities, I'm sure that will suffice.

Deleted
    On the same topic I think being able to spectate high-end arena ingame would be a small, but very fun addition to the game. I would even go as far as implementing betting, but I know people will find a way to windtrade, so skip that. Would I go in a dungeon and accept extra G for just taking a bit of time to "display" the boss mechanics? Nah, I'd probably enjoy the extra gold or just simply knowing that it's helping someone

Deleted
    Not a bad idea to be able to invite say 1-2 players for 10 man runs and 3-5 for 25 man runs. Invited ppl would ofc be passive by-standers only with no influence on the fight at all and won't be able to receive any loot, gold, xp, rep, whatever.

Would help my guild to a certain extent since we raid 10 man contents only and usually use 12-13 players on raid nights, swapping around for achis etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbugga View Post
    Blizz is often criticized about the very poor "training" given to its players for all manner of things....in particular dungeon and raid aspects of the game.

It would be very simple for them to implement a "guided tour" of dungeons etc as a "ghostly observer" with a "preferred" group (even as a quest) and show key aspects of the instance...hell they could even charge some G for it....it would certainly help new players come to grip with dungeon/raid mechanics and it would add another Gold sink for Blizz.
    I am rather confused here. Very few things blizzard has ever done have ever required anything approaching "training" for one's character.

I mean, having a "guided tour" of a dungeon you have never been in sort of defeats the entire purpose of, you know, that "first time" new dungeon experience. These kind of games are intentionally designed to largely be "learn by doing" experiences. I mean, honestly, what you are asking for is tantamount to demanding they hold your hand and explain the fights in detail before you even do them.

What next? Have a book on the gound at the door to every raid boss that you can read for a complete explanation of the boss strats? If you are too lazy to, god forbid, actually make an attempt or two on a boss you have never seen before and figure out the mechanics on your own, you probably should not be playing this game.

One of my most memorable moments in wow when was trying to take on Deadmines with 2 hunters, 2mages and a warlock. '
    I'm pretty sure by the time you hit 85 you've learned enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Tirilka View Post
    Nope, but there is a tendency for the echochamber of whining to spiral out of control, and so everyone involved thinks this is the worst thing ever.

Even Blizz have said study up on dungeons by using web/whatever.....it does not necessarily have to cover every nook and cranny.....it is just a suggestion and they have said they DO need to address this aspect of the game.

I cannot understand the "we had no hot water in our days so you can use cold water too" attitude of many players. At age 60 I have seen lots of innovation...making elementary things easier but allowing more difficult tasks to be undertaken more readily. It will allow more difficult dungeons to be developed.

edit: and help address the constant QQ about new players in dungeons. And it could even be a prerequisite to certain instances to add to item level criteria especially for guilds. Just thoughts....flame away
    Last edited by Oldbugga; 2011-02-20 at 07:18 AM. Reason: more info