10+ Year Old Account

WoL Cho'gall: Any tips?

On our second day on cho'gall we got him to 5% with some regularity once we got things under control. Following are some logs from the 5% tries from WoL:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/w...?s=9367&e=9929
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/w...=13555&e=14131
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/w...=14357&e=14935

Do you have any tips for us in regards to this fight. We run with 2 tanks, 2 Melee DPS, 3 Ranged DPS and 3 Healers.

Thanks
    Cerunnir - Frost/Blood Death Knight

Deleted
    I've only had a quick look through the WoL parses, but almost all Cho'Gall wipes <10% are due to not dealing with the adds effectively. People get excited and dps the boss instead, or panic and don't kill the correct target.

I suggest that, if you haven't already, you assign one of the melee as main assist and have your ranged assist them (use a macro if they have trouble with this), to ensure you burn the adds down one at a time.

Also make sure to interrupt the adds from channeling as much as possible. Interrupts, stuns (especially AoE stuns) are all good. Mousover interrupt/stun macros can be great here.

Most of all, stick to the plan until the boss is dead.

It's tempting for people to see Cho is on 4% or so and ignore the adds, to chase a kill, but if an add is channeling on them, they're only doing 25% of their normal dps.

Hard to tell what the problem is merely by looking at logs. Do you get too much Corruption before the last phase starts? Your raid setup looks unbalanced, do you have enough firepower to take the slime adds down without people taking hits?

Deleted
    1) Keep track of the raids corrupted blood, with the updated DBM you get a real-time list of the amount all players has. Does anyone stand out with a high amount of corrupted? Watch for what they're failing at.

2) Tentacles in the last phase needs to be dealt with, the tanks can easily take care of one each, and remember to interrupt the cast they do, as it decreases damage output by a lot.

These are pretty much the only reasons for low percentage wipes if you've got the first phases under control.

Deleted
    I'm not sure really, we run a fairly similar setup although we get one of our healers to go DPS(druid plays resto/balance priest plays holy/shadow)

On the elite adds we have our two melee dps plus tank take him to the stairs, the further the better as this helps the ranged nuke them down without them getting too close. melee do all the interupts as you cannot guarantee a tank will land their hit.

The tentacles is generally just down to people not switching fast enough, ideally you want the dps spread out enough that the majority of their beams are interupted and they all die at roughly the same time. We used to think that we wanted to get them to bunch by using the wall tactic but in practice it doesn't really work and you shouldn't need things like unholy dk and fire mage aoe spreading to deal with them in good time.

I assume your tanks are still switching in the second phase too? Fury of Cho'gall puts out a lot of additional damage when it starts to stack up.

It is preferable to go with a two healer strategy and try to force him into phase 2 before needing to have a 4th set of slimes, to begin with we would end up having a tank(normally me) kite the 4th elite for a few seconds before phase 2 starting caused it to despawn. Now we get there without the 4th even spawning.

I can't say I am good at analysing WoL data but this is one of those fights where there are a lot of things that stack up to make it impossible to down cho'gall before people either have too high corruption or the healers have ran out of mana due to the fight dragging on.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenonz View Post
    2) Tentacles in the last phase needs to be dealt with, the tanks can easily take care of one each, and remember to interrupt the cast they do, as it decreases damage output by a lot.
    While I can see that they are interrupting the Debilitating Beam from the Darkened Creations they don't seem to be doing it quickly enough. You must be INSTANT with that. 4 people took damage from the cone puke also on 1 parse (I assume it happens on most of them then) which should be avoided, every little bit adds up.
    Last edited by G l o w y r m; 2011-02-21 at 01:19 AM.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

The fight is much easier with 2 healers and 6 dps, instead of 5 dps and 3 healers. The extra dps kills the adds and the boss much faster, meaning corrupt stacks are much lower at the end of the fight. Thus, overall less damage than with 3 healers as well. The primary difficulty in the fight is dealing with all the adds that spawn as well, so an extra dps makes that much easier.

Also, keeping those stacks of blood corruption low makes an absurd amount of difference. We never have anyone go over 50% corruption on our kills, and they tend to be sloppy as well.

Lose a Tank and a Healer. We killed it in 6 min 30 seconds 2 nights ago using 2 heals 1 tank. Just have a melee taunt chogall off for the blast and your fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on 25 you really need to go into the last part perfectly, otherwise you're screwed, because one dude throws up and hit another and another and 25 people suddenly have 50 than 100, its all about the add control, make sure you kite the adds to the stairs in the back so you can hit em all with aoe, and make your dps kill those stalks or die
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

As several have said before, I also advise dropping a healer and 2 healer the fight. Not sure dropping a tank is the way to make the fight easier, but the increased dps from dropping a healer definitely is. There's a lot of predictable damage in this encounter, and not much spikey unexpected damage, which makes it an easy fight to heal. Have 1 tank healer and 1 raidhealer. Judging by your setup you should have the holy priest and the resto druid healing, have the resto shaman respec to ele or enhance if he has it.

For tactic tips you can see my video of cho'gall 10m a month ago, where I duo healed as discipline together with a resto druid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJdxX...eature=related

I haven't looked at the logs as I'm getting ready to go to bed, but while my guild was progressing on Cho'gall one problem was healers didn't have a lot of mana going into the last phase. So before burn phase is a very good time for your healers to pop mana regen CDs. Also, be extremely quick on those tentacles that were mentioned earlier.

Deleted
    We tank him tight in an alcove in the final phase, which forces a couple of the tentacles to spawn directly on top of the boss - so easy kills for the melee. Other 2 normally spawn at range, which the ranged DPS handle. Plenty of interrupts/stuns, and you're fine.

Haven't read any of the previous responses but there's a very easy way to deal with adds in p2:

Move Cho'gall initially to the crates on either side of his throne. Most, if not all of the eyes will spawn on top of him. Your ranged can take care of the 1 or 2 that spawn outside.