Atramedes 25m Normal, Help :(

Alrighty, im in a very casual raiding guild (2-3 hrs twice a week) that is currently stuck on Atramedes. We're not sure whats going on but it could come down to a number of people screwing us up each and every time, with either low DPS, poor awareness or blatant jackassery.

Bossblueprint of our basic setup and plan.

Phase 1:
    What we normally do is position Atramedes on the far left hand side of the room in the northernmost quarter with melee on his right near the gongs so they dont get smacked by the sound discs and so theyre in easy reach of a gong for the searing flame cast.

When someone is targeted by Sonic Breath they run north in a counter clockwise circle toward where atramedes initially spawns, while the rest of the ranged runs toward the door to prevent initial overlapping damage. If a melee is targeted they run clockwise toward the same area.

Phase 2:
    Everyone spreads and runs around like chickens with their heads cut off, person targetted for tracking pops sprint/aspect/ghostwolf/etc, and recieves a Body and Soul from a priest, when the beam gets too close (usually 1/4 of the way through) a druid or rogue smashes a gong and then kites the beam for the remainder.

Atramedes comes back down and if we're lacking gongs or he lands on the opposite sides we mirror our raid setup (boss on the right, ranged on the left, run clockwise instead). We seem to be only getting him to like 1/4 health though.

Checking meters after a fight, our melee damage seems rather low, rarely is a melee in the top for damage even during phase 1, is this just an artifact of the fight itself? or is there an issue here we should address?

Any tips or tricks would be extremely appreciated, not interested in 'herp derp you guis fayl at ez boss' comments however, keep it civil.

Cheers, DP
    Last edited by DarkPhoenix; 2011-02-23 at 11:53 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's important to note two things that will make a large improvement:

a) dont cluster for heals, its ok to all be one side of the boss and melee the other, but don't ever cluster. Cos fire breath hits too many people at the same time and causes a world of shit. Instead encourage people to spread out but pop back in range for healing for time to time.

b) every so often he does a minor AOE. This doesn't hurt at all much when you have a very low sound bar. Explain to the bads that the higher your sound level, the more his AOE will hurt, in the end it will one shot people with full sound bar, even though they go "wtf killed me". Movement is the key, people need to have no sound.

On the flame breath part: The reason we stack is so once someone is targeted they can run to the right, everyone else to the left, so it only ever hits one person if they cant out run it. In your suggestion are you saying to let the person just cop the fire?

I would say (for normal mode at least) spread out all arround the room. This is MUCH easier then having all people in one point. Those sound circles are also a lot harder if everybody stands in one place and people have to move a lot more.
    I can only speak for 10 man. We tried it HM and there it seems to be necessary to stack people in one place (though we didn't manage P1 in HM, but that's another story)

10+ Year Old Account
    What are you dying to exactly, Is it you healers having trouble getting people up afer Searing Flames and dying to his next AoE? Or is it people getting hit by dodgeable stuff and getting 1-shot because of full sound bars.

If you are having trouble getting people up after Searing flames, pop PW:Bs, tell people to hit some defensive CD's if they have some. I really can't see what the trouble should be otherwise, the fight is quite staightforward, if you deal with the breaths, get people up after Searing Flames and make sure you have people hitting gongs at appropriate times this fight really shouldnt be an issue. This is by far one of the most boring raid bosses I've encountered in this game.

Regarding DPS, our UH DK and a rogue is usually up top with us ranged. Blow BL early before people start dying if you want to make full benefit of it.
    Last edited by Epox; 2011-02-21 at 11:36 AM.
    Main
    Epox
    PvP Alt (lololol Icelance)
    Zyke
    Decent Alts
    Nyli
    Ashuna

Deleted
    This is how we do it in 10man,

And after the gongs are out on that side, we just flip it around to the other side.

Deleted
    P1: Everyone stack. Everytime he does sound rings everyone moves right and restacks. On sonic breath the person targeted runs left, while the others run right, use b&s shield on person targetted. Assign a person to hit gongs for searing flames (watch timer).

P2: Just run around and click a gong when the target is about to be caught. Avoid kiting in the middle at all cost. After that just stack up again and repeat.

The OP's strategy should work very nicely. I see no issues with it, and the way you are looking to handle the tracking breath is very good. You shouldn't have an issue killing him, OP. Just make sure you've got somebody who is good with timers and reactions on gong duty for searing flames, they hurt quite a bit.

As for DPS, don't worry about that too much, it's not a DPS race anyhow. Melee are probably finding they have to move a ton while dodging the sonic discs and it's hurting their dps because they will be doing a lot more moving than the ranged, who get to spread out.

EDIT: Examining it again, there may be one problem: make sure the person targeted by the beam is going in a circle around Atramedes. The beam should NEVER catch up with the person who he targets. The beam moves about as fast as the person who it is targeting moves around Atramedes; that is to say, if a melee is hugging his nuts and runs around him in a tight circle, Atramedes is going to swing around at high speed after him, whereas if somebody is 30 yards away, he's going to slowly rotate after them, as that person is not circling Atramedes nearly as fast. Hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2011-02-21 at 01:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have similar positioning as Cuddlebeef.

Range and healers reasonably close to each other but not stack on top, tank and melee position same.

We have locks set up portals at gongs and they will be handling the gongs mainly, with exceptions when they get targgetted by beams and other factors.

When Sonic breath comes, targetted person go left and everyone else go right (if near target).

During air phrase, kite as long as possible and make use of life grips if you have priests.

After an air phrase the ground should be covered in fire, try to watch for survival over "run in and dps" especially if you have people that will happily run around in fire getting burned and expect healers to heal through.

Depends on dps, if going well, let people call out if they are reaching sound limit, hit a gong to reset their sound, more people alive means more chance of killing, however this shouldnt happen more than twice in a fight (just use gong for reset sound purpose), and you should still have may be 1 or 2 gong left at the end of the fight.

And yes as another poster asked, what is killing people in your fight?

I don't want to comment on your tactic since I'm sure many people will tell you how they do, and honestly most tactics works on this guy.

However, I will tell you how we used to do the gongs. At groundphase we used the gongs right behind the raid. When in airphase we would use the gongs at the opposite side. There you go, no reason to move the raid. Also if you run out of gongs on the side where the raid is, I'd suggest you move the gong guy + a healer, instead of the whole raid.

What you could do if you find yourself wiping all the time because of people not avoiding shit, is to have a few tries where nobody does damage to Atramedes, everyone just dodge stuff. Ofc healer's still have to heal, tank still have to tank, and gong guy still have to use the gongs.

Get a fail-addon and see what people are failing at. Are they getting hit by Sonar Pulse/Bomb? maybe even Breath? It's all really important, since you'll get punished hard for failing on this one. All Atramedes spells damage and sound gain scales with the amount of sound you already have. So the more sound you have, the more screwed over you are.

we do it like this:

boss facing door, melee on right, ranged on left, healers split evenly
    people being chased by breath run in a semi-circle behind the boss

split group so less sound waves for one group to avoid
    split group so if breath does hit a group it doesnt hit everyone

we have 1 hunter standing out doing gongs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    On the flame breath part: The reason we stack is so once someone is targeted they can run to the right, everyone else to the left, so it only ever hits one person if they cant out run it.
    That's actually the strategy we use for hardmode.

Dont think the logs for this week have been uploded yet. Ill see if i can get them off the GM to have a look at what the majority of people are dieing to.

Theres been a few times ive noticed people on less than 40 Sound, and then after the big AoE ring theyre suddenly on like 98. I assume theyd HAVE to be caught by something while the AoE is hitting, but havent been able to see what it was. Must be rings or something I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    Dont think the logs for this week have been uploded yet. Ill see if i can get them off the GM to have a look at what the majority of people are dieing to.

Theres been a few times ive noticed people on less than 40 Sound, and then after the big AoE ring theyre suddenly on like 98. I assume theyd HAVE to be caught by something while the AoE is hitting, but havent been able to see what it was. Must be rings or something I guess.
    its always ring tbh, people say "i was nowhere near them" they are lieing, its always people being hit by rings