Thread: guitar help

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickieTK View Post
    My main issues with fender squires is that when you say, want to learn triplets or something more thrashy, say metallica or iron maiden there isn't enough sustain to move quickly through the notes and it just sounds like garbage. My girlfriend's little brother has one and he's good but he gets really frustrated because the guitar can't really keep pace with the notes.
    He's not in Metallica, nor Iron Maiden. He is thinking about buying his first guitar. Squires are very popular starting guitars for a reason, they are cheap and they are better than everything else in their price range. You are suggesting that he doesn't buy a guitar until he can afford something that he expressed isn't in his price range? It appears to me that he was asking for input on what his current options are.

10+ Year Old Account
    ok so it comes down to

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Guita...248212&sr=1-21

or #2
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...ack?sku=513287

im also going to go to my local pawn shop tuesday and see how that goes. fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by divinepurpose View Post
    i see were you are coming from doifer but i also see trickies point,its hard to decide,i dont wanna get something and its crap.
    im almost at the point now were theres so much selection its confusing the hell out of me,and getting me to the point were im losing interest in ever getting one.
    Well what I would suggest then, if you are considering on waiting and saving. Go on a trip to the nearest music store. Talk to someone that works there and specifically ask about Squires and alternatives. Tell them your price range or potential price range if you decide to wait and save. And then simply try the guitars out. Other than that, what can you do?

15+ Year Old Account
    Divine, what kind of music do you want to play? What kind of budget are you on? Can you wait a week or two and save up a little more cash? << all of these answers will let us help you considerably.

10+ Year Old Account
    im thinking of led zeppelin/acdc etc. the most i can spend is $200.and im out of a job atm sadly =/,so i dont have any income atm
    Last edited by Ibeblinkin; 2011-02-21 at 03:27 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doifer View Post
    He's not in Metallica, nor Iron Maiden. He is thinking about buying his first guitar. Squires are very popular starting guitars for a reason, they are cheap and they are better than everything else in their price range. You are suggesting that he doesn't buy a guitar until he can afford something that he expressed isn't in his price range? It appears to me that he was asking for input on what his current options are.
    Waiting a week or two isn't an option? I was unaware you knew what music he'd be learning or did I miss that post? I learned some metallica and iron maiden riffs on my epi pretty early on so, its not an unheard of starting place.

a mid-range starter of any brand that feels good about $150-$200 for a guitar and $150 to $200 for a decent solid state amp with several built in effects to tool around with, I feel would be the most bang for your buck way of getting started, rather than getting something that is the bare minimum and getting frustraded because your notes are falling off into nothingness halfway between the first and the second one and your tone and sustain sounds like rusty nails

---------- Post added 2011-02-20 at 09:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by divinepurpose View Post
    im thinking of led zeppelin/acdc etc. the most i can spend is $200.and im out of a job atm sadly =/,so i dont have any income atm
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=512150

for a guitar and

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...Amp?sku=620208

for an amp

IMO - Dean would be better than getting an ibanez or a squire, and I honestly don't know anything about Rogue guitars. That amp is going to be way better than the one that comes with the squire pack and will probably give you the best versatility for tone
    Last edited by TrickieTK; 2011-02-21 at 03:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    they both look good,but then id have to buy an instructional booklet,cords,picks,bag,strap,etc on top of that.

unless all of that comes with it lol
    Last edited by Ibeblinkin; 2011-02-21 at 04:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sad truth: Any guitar under $500 will completely blow ass.

Happy truth: If you want to play badly enough you'll play till your fingers bleed no matter how bad the guitar is, then in time the right guitar will come.

*Please make 335 drop in my lap now...

15+ Year Old Account
    all the instructional booklet you'll need you can find online. I'd suggest ultimate-guitar.com has scales, chord patterns and all the tabs you could want.

As for a cord, get a
    http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ble?sku=331638
    These monster cables are 100% insured for life, you can take your cable into a guitar center and say, this cable went bad, and they will hand you a new one.

Picks are cheap - you can use a shoelace for a strap until you can pull a $20 together for a nice black nylon

10+ Year Old Account
    very good point trickie lol,ill look in to.

ive also been looking at

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...ack?sku=430930

My 1st guitar (after i decided to stick with it) i got at a local place and got it used. Was a Dean for like $100. Even got a Peavy amp with it too. Played and sounded great. This was back in 1994 though, hehe. Dam WoW though, i slacked off playing cause of this game, grrrrrrr. I fiddle around every now and then. Still have my Ibanez RG 270 though after 15 years.

15+ Year Old Account
    i know nothing about rogue guitars. I wouldn't honestly trust any starter pack amp though. There are a lot of great amps for under $100 in the 15watt practice amp range.

what did you trade up from and to?
    If that was directed at me, I went from 4 years playing on a some $175 wallmart Telecaster knockoff, to a very amazing PRS McCarty.

Lot of money, but it's a lot of guitar. Beautiful piece of art that guitar is. Finally got good enough at playing that I decided to spend some real money.
    Last edited by Tore; 2011-02-21 at 04:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    well thank you all for you help,ill officially decide on tuesday and let you all know how it goes..may even upload a pic or two

thank you all.

divine.

Quote Originally Posted by Psylon View Post
    You have to try the guitar out in an store. NEVER EVER BUY an guitar from an online store or so.
    This, this and this. You never want to buy an instrument or equipment online.

15+ Year Old Account

^^ I have an EMG81 and 85 in her now... she is a sexy bitch

10+ Year Old Account
    thats nice

^^ I have an EMG81 and 85 in her now... she is a sexy bitch
    I take it you enjoy a healthy dose of Metal :P

Craigslist for a real Fender Standard Strat. Even if it's got scratches and looks a little beat up, the quality you'll get will be absolutely miles above anything squire or any other mid-range guitar will give you. Choose a maple neck if you can. I shit you not, it is 100% worth it to wait for more money if you think you'll be strapped for cash.

Guitars are not like computers, the difference in quality is far easily noticed and playability is ridiculously better. A solid, higher-quality guitar will last you 10 years if you don't warp the neck, clean it often and play it often.

10+ Year Old Account
    thank you all for your help,now that ive been thinking ive also been considering an acoustic,and suggestions on one? nylon or metal too?