High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

The Problems with Heroics

Hi, I'm writing this from the perspective of a tank and a DPS and my experiences with heroics thus far. This is in no way a generalization or an attack on any players out there. If i offend you I am going to apologize ahead of time for whatever i may have said.

As i have progressed from tanking PuGs or running with my healer friend to running guild groups to volunteering to help people out who ask in trade, I have seen my share of the angry, DPS or healers with a complex, un-approachable players and i try to help in whatever ways i can. I confess to being a bit of an alt-o-holic and have read up and understand much of the ins-and-outs in their most basic forms of alot of the classes and specs. Thus far i have noticed 4 different categories of puggers from a tanks perspective, and i am a very patient, very understanding tank who will keep quiet when it seems necessary.
    1) The silent, well-played character-while these are only usually 1 or 2 of the DPS in a heroic they are often the best to get and make for the fastest run, so if you want to get your VP and get out, silence and the ability to play your class well is the best route to take because of the volatile nature of quite a few subscribers of the game.
    2) The angry, self-serving, elitist, and demanding character - these are by far the most common players i have seen and can range from anywhere in the 4k to the 22k DPS range in my experiences, they tend to rip into anyone not playing absolutely flawlessly and can quite often try to initiate kicks as soon as they can get one through just because they want someone who will play their games
    3) The impatient, less than friendly, mediocre players - These are my LEAST favorite characters to tank for, i pull as quickly as i can, have an addon for instant skull and CC marking, and pull as quickly as i can and don't get many complaints about the speed of my pulling, these players tend to be those with the classes with the less entertaining rotations that i assume get bored with their spec and dont seem to enjoy the game as much. I try to be patient with them but they also like to rip into others and are quick to yell at those around them for any failures regardless of how avoidable it was, even if they were the cause. These are the Gogogogogogogo pull moar packs noob, face-pullers who tend to die more because they dont let everyone else get set, they also quit groups more and tend to focus on the failures of the group.
    4) And finally, the apologetic mediocre players - Now these players may have bought their accounts or are playing on a friends of may just not be very good, but i try as much as i can to teach them what to do with their spec (more often than not at everyone else in the groups dismay, not because it would take longer, but because it gives the appearance of moving slower). I have learned throughout my wow-playing experiences that many wow players just never learned about the tools at their disposal and may just need directing to the many sites dedicated to helping them get better, but every now and again you see those who just HATE being given any forms of advice and therefore i try to be as chill and easy as possible about things. If there were a way to help without being offensive to those people i would try that but i don't really know what they want if they try to queue for heroics in full 346s and pull 5k or less.

From a DPS perspective things are occasionally different
    I see my share of patient to elitist tanks, and i can say a DPS trying to help other players in learning their class gets a lot fewer negative responses than does a tank. The tanks i see range from the angry, over-compensating, i can do what i want guys to the slowest of the slow pullers.
    If you don't like your tank, then don't immediately go into accusatory mode, tanking is more often than not, the most thankless job in wow, its like being an offensive lineman, Have you ever heard your average football fan say "Ooo look at those linemen block, they're awesome"? neither have i... and because of this a lot of tanks tend to be much more easily upset, between the stress of your failures being the difference between success and a wipe is more than straining enough, but adding to the mix all the taunting, pulling, positioning, and foresight that they have to use, one can see why the tanks rotation is much more simplified than is the DPS who can quite often tunnel their actionbars and still make it out alive. Telling your tank he is bad because of one botched pull is not the way to start the dungeon, now after three straight then swing away, they deserve it if they keep trying to waste everyones time at that point, but patience is a trait severely lacking the wow-population in recent months.

In short, patience with your groupmates goes a long way further than anger and accusations do, constructive assistance has always been the better method to winning anything than is tearing someone down. Thanks for reading my Wall-o-text, and i would more than enjoy your comments and additions. Flame away

Veladril - Prot/Ret Paladin - Turalyon

Pretty much 1 and 4 I don't mind playing with. Otherwise they're on ignore pretty soon into the run.
    I completely don't mind someone not being very good as long as they KNOW they aren't good and acknowledge the fact that they need to get better and are trying. I'll spend 20 minutes explaining how to play the class if they want, and be happy about it. I like silent, good players the best though, cause that's pretty much me in a nutshell lol. I rarely say anything until "Thanks guys, have a good night" at the end of the run.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's my preffered method to go as well... maybe a Sheep this, sap that at the first pull, but i'm willing to give advice tactics or chat if thats the players nature as well

I dont pug often, but when i do i would consider myself to be type 1. If someone asks for help i'll help with the best of my knowledge, other than that i dont talk much. Just say "Hello" at the beginning and "Thanks alot for the group" in the end.
    I dont mind elitist ragers as long as they do their job and we get the instance done swiftly. Shout and stroke your ego as much as you want, I'm the zen master of not giving a fuck.
    People who suck and act like assholes are pretty much useless. Some might find them amusing or otherwise interesting, but other than that they serve no greater purpose. I think of them as dogs - no matter what you say, all they can do is bark back.
    Hardest part of pugging is knowing wheter it is worth to keep trying or just get another group.

Honestly not sure where I fall. I'm always quiet when healing or dpsing. When I tank though I have very little tolerance for jerks, anyone starts flaming I shoot them a whisper to chill and move on. If they keep going its a quick kick with the tag "him or me" on it. i consider myself a good tank so the run should equal out to be smooth even with mediocre players.

I don't mind wiping. I just dislike jerks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heppu View Post
    I dont pug often, but when i do i would consider myself to be type 1. If someone asks for help i'll help with the best of my knowledge, other than that i dont talk much. Just say "Hello" at the beginning and "Thanks alot for the group" in the end.
    I dont mind elitist ragers as long as they do their job and we get the instance done swiftly. Shout and stroke your ego as much as you want, I'm the zen master of not giving a fuck.
    People who suck and act like assholes are pretty much useless. Some might find them amusing or otherwise interesting, but other than that they serve no greater purpose. I think of them as dogs - no matter what you say, all they can do is bark back.
    Hardest part of pugging is knowing wheter it is worth to keep trying or just get another group.
    U STUULE MY WRDS! WTF RAGE QUIT! (:

tbh couldnt have said anything else