10+ Year Old Account

Angry Monitor stopped displaying native resolution

So I have this desktop that I have been using for close to 2 years, my monitor is an HP w2408h 1920x1200 resolution is the highest and native resolution it will display, and I'm completely fine with that. The problem is that my monitor decided to stop being able to display its native resolution so the highest resolution I can get to is 1600x1200 my monitor/ everything AND WoW look extremely horrible in this stretched resolution.

The problem began when I had an Nvidia GeForce 9600 installed (video card was damaged and kept making my monitor turn off at random times, and not turn back on until I manually reset my computer) one day in conjunction with this sleeping monitor it stopped displaying its native resolution. My boyfriend and I went to go look for a similar video card or a slight upgrade and we got an Nvidia GeForce 9800, both my boyfriend and myself though that with this new video card the resolution would be back up for grabs and my monitor would stop going to sleep at random times. The good news is that my monitor WON'T go to sleep at random times while I'm playing WoW but the bad news is that my monitor still won't display its native resolution.

A curious fact is that when I go to the Nvidia Control Panel and go to Change Resolution 1920x1200 WILL appear on the list (it wouldn't appear if it thought it couldnt support it), so when I go and change it my monitor resolution changes of course; when I go open my Display Options 1920x1200 has magically appeared as the highest resolution available for the monitor. I think is everything is fine and dandy until I start WoW, WoW won't recognize that my monitor is at 1920x1200 resolution, the highest res it will display is 1600x1200, when I Quit the game my monitors resolution goes BACK to 1600x1200. If I go back to my Control Panel and change it manually again and restart my computer, the computer goes back to 1600x1200.

Yes I have the latest monitor, video card drivers. I've actually tried deleting the monitor drivers so when I turn my computer back on Windows installs them by itself but even that won't work.
    One thing to remember if you've been reading this far is that my monitor USED to display 1920x1200, everything was completely fine; it just randomly decided one day to act as if 1920x1200 WASN'T its native resolution. Everything with my computer is completely FINE the only problem is the resolution on my monitor. I really don't know what else to do, maybe I need a new monitor? I've been forced to raid and do everything on my laptop where the screen is significantly smaller than my 24" monitor and it royally sucks. I've posted in the HP forums (where my post was completely ignored), I've googled this problem and done everything others have done to solve it (and it didn't work) so I figured I'd try the MMO Champ Super Champions and see what they have to say about my seemingly homosexual monitor. Any input and/or questions are appreciated and WILL be answered.

Thanks!
    -Hex
    Last edited by ODDLAWL; 2011-02-21 at 01:26 PM.
    [/CENTER]

Help us by telling us the following Info:

GPU-
    Manufacturer:
    Model #:
    DxDiag:
    Link if possible:

Mobo-
    Manufacturer:
    Model #:
    Link if possible:

Monitor-
    Manufacturer:
    Model #:
    Link if possible:
    VGA, DVI, HDMI:

================
    Also you might want to check the resolution in WoW and make sure it is the same as your desktop resolution, just in case you have not checked that.
    Author: Ulysses S. Grant (A True Raider & PvPr)

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

10+ Year Old Account
    GPU-
    Manufacturer: Nvidia
    Model #: GeForce 9800 GT
    DxDiag: DirectX 11
    Link if possible: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product...9800gt_us.html

Mobo-
    Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer INC.
    Model #: Leonite2 6.00
    Link if possible: -

Monitor-
    Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    Model #: w2408h
    Link if possible: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/p...roduct=3551927
    VGA, DVI, HDMI: VGA

The highest resolution that WoW plays is 1600x1200 even when I manually change my resolution through the Nvidia Control Panel like I mentioned, WoW will not display that resolution AT ALL; it's not in the drop down menu.

halp
    Last edited by ODDLAWL; 2011-02-22 at 03:51 AM.
    [/CENTER]

10+ Year Old Account
    you should be using a dvi or hdmi cable vga just don't seem to handle ws resolutions properly or at least for my screen

10+ Year Old Account
    my cpu doesn't have HDMI support :/ there's nowhere to connect it to, and also I've been using this monitor with this cpu for almost 2 years now so idk why it stopped working now out of the blue.
    [/CENTER]

More than likely it's related to video card drivers. I had an issue like that way back with an nVidia card. Desktop could use 1680x1050, but WoW would only see 1600x900. At the time I had to manually edit the resolution into the inf files for the driver. What you can possibly get away with is removing the drivers completely, with like Driver Sweeper, and then putting the new ones in. Also CPU usually refers to the small chip inside your computer, not the entire thing. lockblock also said DVI, so if your monitor/Video card support that, it should be used instead. A 9800 should have DVI, I know the one I use for PhysX does.

10+ Year Old Account
    mk now that I googled what DVI is... the connection FROM the computer TO my video card is a regular VGA cable, I use an adapter at the end of it to connect it to my video card http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCsQ8gIwAg#, so yeah I guess its VGA/DVI but my computer recognizes it as VGA not DVI even though its connected to the video card as such. The thing is though that I got a brand new video card, thinking that the old one was the problem but even with the new one the problem persists, ty all for the answers. If that doesnt work how did you manage to edit the resolution into the inf files?
    [/CENTER]

10+ Year Old Account
    get something like this hdmi>dvi cable
    before I had a gpu with hdmi built in i used hdmi>dvi cable
    even if this don't fix your problem its still worth the upgrade as your picture quality should improve and theres absolutely no reason why you should not use best available connections on your devices and it don't cost much depending on what brand + size of cable you get
    Last edited by lockblock; 2011-02-22 at 09:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    well I installed Driver Sweeper and removed the video card drivers and re installed them again, after I installed them I restarted and my computer came back with the... wait for it.... 1600x1200 resolution I'm going to go buy the cable you're suggesting but I really don't understand why it would just STOP working out of the blue after its been connected to my monitor that way for almost 2 years :/

Also this problem isn't just for WoW its for my whole monitor too, if I manually change the resolution to 1920x1200 when I restart my computer it just goes BACK to 1600x1200
    Last edited by ODDLAWL; 2011-02-22 at 09:30 AM.
    [/CENTER]

hmm

isnt there a way to put ur settings into the wow config files (not at home so cant spell out how to) that might force it to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah SET gxResolution "" changing that is supposed to force WoW to play at that resolution, but whenever I input 1920x1200 and start up the game, my game starts up as like 1024x1000 or something like that, that makes it look extremely big and when I go to the dropdown menu the highest resolution itll display is 1600x1200. Also this resolution problem isn't just for WoW, its for pretty much any computer game that I have installed. The highest resolution they have is 1600x1200
    [/CENTER]

Did you download anything prior to this like right before hand?
    Try a system restore to the day before you installed the video card.
    Author: Ulysses S. Grant (A True Raider & PvPr)

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

10+ Year Old Account
    amg, okay you're not getting my problem . This problem started when I had a GeForce 9600 GT, so then I went to go buy a NEW video card a GeForce 9800 GT to see if it would fix the problem, it didn't. The only problem that was fixed was the whole "Monitor going to sleep" thing that happened so often whilst doing anything on said computer. My monitor just randomly decided that it couldn't display 1920x1200 anymore so the highest resolution it'll display is 1600x1200.
    [/CENTER]