Deleted

MMO idea -- constructive criticism needed

Wasn't really sure where to put this as it's my first time on these forums so please tell me where to put it if it's in the wrong place. Anyway, for some time now it's been a dream of mine to make my own MMO, so I'm often brainstorming ideas and I need some constructive criticism on an idea for a class I had. The class is called Kingsworn:

The Kingsworn at first glance appear to be your typical tank class and in some respects they are. They'd have heavy armor and shields and quasi-magical powers. Unlike tanks in wow however they would not just focus on getting enemies to pay attention to them. They'd also have support abilities that would mitigate incoming damage and even provide heals for their allies. What really makes them unique however would be their resource mechanic:

All classes in my proposed mmo would use a resource similar to mana but each would also have their own unique resource. Kingsworn would use Oaths. Basically there are 6 different types of Oaths you can cast on targets (3 to be cast on allies and 3 to be cast on enemies.). Casting an oath on a target would provide you or the target with a buff (or debuff in the case of enemies.) and would allow you to use different abilities on them depending on what oath you cast. Using these abilities enough would fulfill an oath, providing an added bonus but requiring the Oath to be cast again. As oaths would be on cooldown you would have to carefully manage the fulfillment of them. You can have up to 6 active oaths at a time and each target can only have one oath cast on them per Kingsworn. Examples of oaths (numbers are not necessarily final values. Also when I say the target this always applies to the target of the oath.):

Oath Of War: Increases your armour by 40%, and your threat generation against the target by 50%. When the oath is fulfilled deals damage to the target and forces them to attack you for 5 seconds.

Oath Of Vengeance: Increases your damage done against the target by a certain amount which increases when the target attacks you or a party member (capping at 50% damage increase.). When the oath is fulfilled your next 2 abilities cast on the target are guaranteed critical strikes.

Oath Of Capture: Your melee attacks have a chance to slow the target's movement speed by 40% and your critical strikes shackle the target in place for 5 seconds. When this oath is fulfilled the target is chained in place for up to 10 seconds and is dealt damage over time.

Oath Of Protection: The target's armour is increased by 50% and their threat generation is decreased by 40%. When this oath is fulfilled the target becomes immune to all attacks for 5 seconds.

Oath Of Sacrifice: 10% of damage dealt to the target is dealt to you instead. When this oath is fulfilled, for the next 10 seconds when you are attacked the target will be healed for 30% of the damage done.

Can't think of the 6th oath, would welcome ideas for that. Please give opinions, but be constructive. Sorry if it's a bit long.
    Last edited by mmoce35ea8b457; 2011-02-21 at 02:58 PM.

Deleted
    well it sounds good, do u have any other clases into the game or just one give me some more info to judge,
    but i guess it's hard to get into the MMO games market since it's alot of games but dreams come true some times

I think the idea of classes as specific and necessary pillars of a group is fading away. One of the most exciting things I'm looking forward to in the upcoming batch of MMOs is not having to worry about finding a tank, or an X. keep that in mind with your design. If your game is going to come out in 5 years the prevailing games of the industry may make yours look a bit backward and retro. You might be able to work that angle to find your userbase, but I think it'll definitely be limiting your appeal.

Deleted
    Hey some replies! I'd given up and was just looking at this thread on the off-chance. While I can certainly see that class systems are becoming less strict in games like rift, I think that a class system could still work, especially if I built in a more character defining profession system and more customizable abilities. For instance my Kingsworn has some support abilities which if necessary I could expand upon. As for other class ideas I do indeed have some ideas, this was simply the most developed one and the only one I could write about in detail. The others are a bit all over the place.

One idea I did have was the Adept. He would be a mage type character who would have to prepare spells prior to combat. Before fights he would prepare spells depending on the situation. He would have a lot of diversity and by preparing the right combination of spells before a fight he would be able to fill in any role.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Sounds a lot like a paladin to me.

if you want to something truly different and actually succeed, don't do a WOW clone. Look at pen and paper RPGs for Ideas not yet tried.

How about a Range tank with a Pet who does control, or a Melee healer who heals by draining life from the enemy. there are lots of Ideas out there go for something original.

Deleted
    I can see there are some parallels to Paladins but they would actually be very different. They would be focused tanks with the support abilities just being an added bonus. It wouldn't be possible to go into a full healing role. And the oath system I designed, I haven't seen anything like it elsewhere so hopefully that would make for a unique play-style.

I'm certainly trying to lean away from being a wow clone. For instance it wouldn't have levels and would instead use a chapter system which took you through the storylines and taught you abilities ect. with some chapters leading into others, while some you would be able to start up anywhere ect. I am trying to be as original as possible.