Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Music] Map of Metal

http://www.mapofmetal.com

No map of Metal would be complete without a completely and totally unnecessary umlaut.
    Admittedly, I'm not much of a metal guy.. but this is some pretty badass stuff right here lol

"The Reggae Shaman"

Cool page, thanks for posting!

Awesome stuff! Lots of obscure stuff here, love it

10+ Year Old Account
    This is pretty awesome, and does not deserve to drop off the front page yet.

This should be stickied to avoid every discussion on what people's opinion of what is metal and what isnt.

This should be kept on front page, and I agree, stickied.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hahaha wow I didn't know people would feel so strongly about my little find

Oh dang, I looked through it again and just noticed that they included Death in this. Death is the best band to only record 7 songs EVER.
    Last edited by jwescott3425; 2011-02-28 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Discovery!

"The Reggae Shaman"

15+ Year Old Account
    lol awesome, will check out some of that stuff once i get a working soundcard on payday =D

10+ Year Old Account
    Now you can purchase one for the man cave OF YOUR DREAMS.

"The Reggae Shaman"

Deleted
    Very cool site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastwinstondoom View Post
    Awesome stuff! Lots of obscure stuff here, love it
    I disagree, the bands listed there are some of the most famous ones of their respective sub genre.
    Death is the best band to only record 7 songs EVER.
    I 100% sure that they recorded way more than 7 songs, they have 7 albums + 2 live albums and tonnes of demos.
    Last edited by mmocbf51ec4761; 2011-03-01 at 08:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by H153 View Post
    I disagree, the bands listed there are some of the most famous ones of their respective sub genre.
    Yeah, I thought the same thing. I hope whoever made this site expands on each genre a bit more. Seriously, no mention of Jason Becker in neo-classical, or at least Symphony X? I was surprised by how diverse the subgenres were (didn't think they'd include Djent) and I thought the placement was pretty cool.

I felt that some bands are in the wrong places. Well, not entirely wrong, but they'd fit better in other areas. But alas, one man's opinion on such a thing is probably why this was even made. :<

Still, I think this is very fucking neat. Major props to whoever made this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very cool site.

I 100% sure that they recorded way more than 7 songs, they have 7 albums + 2 live albums and tonnes of demos.
    Death? The band from Detroit in the early 70s who totally threw Motown in a loop because they were like YOU'RE BLACK BUT YOU'RE PLAYING WHITE MUSIC SO WE CAN'T MARKET YOU! so the band moved to Vermont and became a reggae band?

I have a feeling we are talking about two different things. They only have one album out with 7 demos from the 70s. In the map under garage rock look up Keep On Knocking.
    Last edited by jwescott3425; 2011-03-01 at 07:20 PM.

"The Reggae Shaman"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jwescott3425 View Post
    Death? The band from Detroit in the early 70s who totally threw Motown in a loop because they were like YOU'RE BLACK BUT YOU'RE PLAYING WHITE MUSIC SO WE CAN'T MARKET YOU! so the band moved to Vermont and became a reggae band?

I have a feeling we are talking about two different things. They only have one album out with 7 demos from the 70s. In the map under garage rock look up Keep On Knockin'.
    Yeah, I think we are describing 2 different bands. :P I was talking about "Death": the band that was one of the largest influences on the creation of death metal and thought of by many as the first real death metal band.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I think we are describing 2 different bands. :P I was talking about "Death": the band that was one of the largest influences on the creation of death metal and thought of by many as the first real death metal band.
    lol Yeh, a quick Google search reveals that there are two bands named Death, one being a metal from Florida and the other being one of the first punk bands

Deleted
    Cheers for this post. Entertaining and educational!

Deleted
    I may be stupid or blind, but I can't find DIO. Shouldn't he be Medieval metal?

Wtf is Medieval Metal? Stop making up lame genre names. U will find Dio under Heavy Metal (the one that the marker is on when u load the map)
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2011-03-01 at 11:02 PM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So cool, I am rediscovering a lot of stuff i listened to as a kid! THANKS

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    Wtf is Medieval Metal? Stop making up lame genre names. U will find Dio under Heavy Metal (the one that the marker is on when u load the map)
    He didn't make up the genre dude, it's up there on the map.. It is the kind of metal where they play the "grandpas guitars."

"The Reggae Shaman"

Which is just another subgenre of Folk Metal.

The point was that he was reffering to Dio as Medieval Metal, which is just stupid
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory