Deleted

aoe healing/atramedes

Hello

I was having a talk with my guildleader about the healing in our 10-man raid setup.
    We are running with a holy priest, holy pally and me, I am sometimes disc priest and sometimes resto shaman.
    This has worked fine for the first 3 bosses in bot.

On Atramedes however we are getting in trouble.
    I will not get too much in detail, but seems avoiding sound and stacking up for efficient aoe heals not everyone's strongest point.
    Now I usually bring my shaman, as healing stream totem heals nicely while I dont have to worry about it for five minutes. But, it's range isnt enough to heal the
    melee on the other side, while they tend to take most damage. My chainheal often doesnt jump due to people not being maloriak-in-red-phase-style, for that same reason healing rain wont work either, I bite my tongue off trying to fit in at least four peeps but its no use

This week alone we have been on him for 3 nights on an average of 14 tries per night, thats 42 tries and we just cant down him.
    I mean, we one shot maloriak this week, two whipes on magmaw and we got him, omnitron on 5th attempt.
    But atramedes
    So everybody will have to do his or her share, so I tought I may give a hand on bringing the healer with the best aoe and mana efficient heals.
    What is in your opinion the best and most mana effective aoe healer, or healer that can bring a raid up with fast cast or instant single target spells?

I hope anyone here can help, Atramedes makes me want to drown myself in my cup of cinnamon tea when raiding

Well, on normal me (holy pally) and a resto shammy 2 heal atra just fine, i'd be looking more at your gong clicker to minimize searing flame damage, and ppl not failing at disks, we dont stack up either (was a bad habit from when ppl were failing at the breath) so we single target every 1 up.

So yea, tell people to not be bad at discs ( i.e melee at max melee range), if you wanna keep stacked up, then make sure ranged dont mess up to the disks and the gong clicker to click it as soon as possible to reduce the damage you need to heal, Hope this helps

Deleted
    We did him with 2 holy paladins and a resto shaman, it has nothing to do with the healers, class wise, can't take skill into account as I don't know you, but it sounds like your DPS are messing up big time, everything in that encounter, besides his big AoE, can be avoided, and should be!

This is one of the easiyer bosses to heal, if people just avoid disks and the gong is getting clicked fast enough to searing flame damage not raping the raid.
    Im now in a 25 man guild, but in my old guild we healed it easily with me (holy paladin), holy priest and resto druid.
    Also make sure when atramedes targets someone and sprays fire, that the person not runs into all of the other raid members (but you properly allready do that)

Lightwell after Modulation works well for at least one side of the raid.

Atramedes is probably the easiest fight in current content to heal as long as people aren't taking avoidable damage. If your ground phase gong hitter is on the ball, and dps is avoiding breaths / pulses there is almost no incoming damage.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Our raid composition for one of our earlier kills was 1 Druid, 1 Shaman, 1 Holy Priest.

How well are you kiting the flames during the air phase? We found on our attempts that effective AoE healing suffered because of the flames still being on the ground when you returned to ground phase, often making melee stand wherever they can. This also is a negative when you have to dodge sonic pulses and you are surrounded by fire.

My suggestion is set up meeting points.

Melee can stand literally a tail length away from Atramedes and still DPS, he has a large hit box so make use of it. Set up meet points for both ranged and melee groups (or together) once they are done dodging the pulses, return to the meet point. This also makes Searing Flame or whatever that big flame breath someone kites is called easier. If youre all generally in the same area, one person goes left, the others go right (or vice versa).

Now for air phase, this is where it can all come undone. You have a very long corridor to use up the top of the map. USE IT. Have someone kite the flames directly around the outside of the main chamber and then up the corridor to where the bell is. This works well because when you use the gong, the flames will not need to cross the room, hence you wont be cutting off people from your AoE healing. If youre doing it correctly, the fire should all be in a similar spot and majority of the room is clear.

Deleted
    The issue is not your healing set up.

The raid needs to avoid the sound, they don't have a choice in the matter. Get them to stop being lazy and damn well move out of it's path.
    Make them stop casting spells, make them swallow the DPS loss from moving.

The two important aspects in this fight is avoiding the sound, and the gong hitter. The gong hitter needs to be real fast at hitting that gong, to stop the raid taking huge aoe damage.

80%+ of this fight is avoidance. This is NOT a "healer fight", it's an "avoidance fight".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fientje View Post
    but seems avoiding sound
    You kinda said it yourself, get them to shape up and you'll be in no stress at all to heal people up.
    I usually end this fight with 95%+ mana
    Thundercunts and stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm... I have no difficulties with reaching the melees on Atramedes ever since Healing Rain has a range of 40 yards, though I admit that I rarely throw a HR over there in 25-man. Just some Chainheals usually. But I have other healers to cover for that anyway, this being 25-man.

Anyway, your Holy Priest has probably the easiest time, raidhealing during Atramedes when your raid behaves as you've described. Prayer of Healing is just so cool when it comes to healing specific groups. Other than that, I suppose you'll have to do single-target-healing. With AA procs, you'll at least manage to grab the ones that are lowest.

But if it's really so bad that your melees are getting so awfully much damage, they really really need to avoid getting all that sound. The more sound they have, the more damage everything else will do to them. At Atramedes, you're basically dead with 100% life when you don't watch those discs. Many people probably have difficulties grasping this concept.

Your designated gong-person must be on their toes. If they're really good and/or lucky, only 1 tick of searing flames will make it. Most often, it will be 2 ticks. If anywhere close to this timeframe, the raid is being hit with modulation as well, you'll see dead people... those are the ones who got too much sound. If you didn't fail too hard at the discs or even with the breath (absolute no-go! you're already dead but don't know it yet), you'll have little trouble surviving this entire thing.

As for Healing Stream positioning... I personally don't need to do this as I do 25-man and am in the healer group and not in the melee group, BUT! I'm awfully used to positioning my totems so that theoretically the entire raid should benefit from them (even if the totem in question isn't raid-wide). So, just pop your totem straight into the spot where Atramedes will be standing. I don't think you'll all stand at max range to the boss, will you?

So, there are totem addons that will allow you to see who is in range of the totem and who is not. I have TotemTimers for this. Usually, I don't need to check it much, but for something like Al'Akir where all those little groups are clustered around the platform, I like to check if I managed to get the totems in range of the people that I want to benefit from them. Same principle would apply for a 10-man Atramedes. If there's a red dot on your healing stream totem icon of TotemTimers, you know, someone is out of range of the totem. Mousing over it will bring up a little box with the names of those people. And this will allow for more precise positioning.

During the air phases, nobody should be requiring any heals anyway. If you find you want/need to heal something, try to stick to instant-casts. Everything else is a risk (though I'm not quite sure anymore if it was that much of a pressing matter in normal mode... It's funny how one entirely forgets how normal modes worked as soon as you've spent your time wiping to a hardmode).

Anyway, enough babbling. Hope I helped at least a bit. I'm way too talkative, I think *hides*
    Last edited by Seriss; 2011-02-22 at 11:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi Fientje.

I'm also in a 10 man guild, but haven't been anywhere near having problems on Atramedes. We have been running with the following healer setups. Non of the combos have been more successful than the others btw! (I am the pala that has been in all the different setups)
    Druid - Priest (holy) - Pala
    Shaman - Priest (holy) - Pala
    Pala x2 - Priest (holy)
    All healers are by no means geared insanely well, but we aren't shitty geared either.
    You mention that avoiding sound (discs i presume) isn't the something that your raiders care too much about? This might be the problem. Overall Atramedes isn't a very healing intensive fight, at least not from what I've experienced, so if your raid is taking so much damage that you can not heal thru it, that could very well be what you need to work on, and not trying to find the "best" healing setup!

To help ease this problem, there is a few things you might try out. We have been stacking the ranged+2 healers together on one side of the slighty raised panel on the floor. The one that is in the middle of all the gongs. We have been having a healer staying on the other side with the melees, mainly to have an emergency gong-hitter, in case our primary gong-hitter dies. But also to smooth the healing of the melees. However, we have also downed the blind bastard WITHOUT a melee healer on that side.
    But basically this is what we do: Tank Atramedes on the left side (from the entrance PoV) slightly raised floor area. Not all the way left, but a little away from the middle. Our ranged and healers are grouped on the right side of the raised floor. Discs are easy avoidable for the ranged, and whenever melees get hit, we just have to live with that. When the sonic breath targets a ranged, we have him/her run right, and the other ranged take a step or two left. If it's on a melee, we have them run thru the dragon, or kite away from the tanks position (we have the head facing the entrance). At this point, the other melees of course moves towards the tank.
    In the airphase, we have people spread out and a rogue runs to a gong and waits. We see who the flame is following, and coordinate the rogue hitting the gong, before the first target is in any real danger. The rogue kites, and sprints when the time is right. We have a priest ready to pull him, in case something goes wrong. We have the rogue kite around the edge of the room. We usually manage each airphase with one gong this way. This frees up some gongs to use when someone has too high sound (remember you take more damage, the higher sound you have). We also try to coordinate searing flame gonging with sound resetting, aka. if someone has 80 sound and searing flame is coming in 10 sec, we pop a healing CD on that target or have the target use some survival abilities. Rinse and repeat, and you should do fine!

TL;DR: Tell your dps to avoid discs, fire-patches from air phase, discs from air phase, and use gongs WISELY (not loosely!) Don't look for the ideal healer setup, but focus on avoiding damage. Less damage taken from abilities --> less sound gained --> less gongs used --> easier for everyone.

Deleted
    Agree with what's been said here. You see, it may look like a healing problem, but since modulation dmg is affected by current member's sound, it is primarily the sound being an issue here. Avoid the bad things, keep your sound low - modulation will be more gentle, thus your topping ppl up ain't gonna be such a problem anymore.

Deleted
    Hi all, thanks for so many replies, I found usefull stuff in it

So basically it would better if our dps dpssed a little less and spend more time running from sound then.

Quote Originally Posted by Fientje View Post
    Hi all, thanks for so many replies, I found usefull stuff in it

So basically it would better if our dps dpssed a little less and spend more time running from sound then.
    Dps should always and every time in every boss fight lose a little dps to avoid avoidable damage. Once they get used to it, it not only saves healer mana, but the dps they lose progressively becomes smaller.

On this fight specifically they take more damage from modulation based on sound, and if they hit 100 sound they die. There's nothing to be done about that as a healer. The great thing though is that the only sound anyone should EVER get is sound from modulation. Anything else and they made a mistake.