Thread: 2 healing cho

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    it really sounds like your dps is the issue, we 2tank pally/war and 3heal priest(holy)/Pally/druid or shammy and we push chogall after 3 adds on 10man... were able to leave 1 dps on chogall full time and get the add down just as fester comes and have no problem with the oozes, and when the 4th add spawns you hold it off to the side move out of shadow crashes and have the tank interrupt the AoE

Deleted
    if your tanks are getting huge damage its mainly the reason that ppl arent interupting mindcontrolled ppl and/or you dont switch at fury

other than that the boss is a walk in the park with2 healers

We usually run 3 healers too, but I was thinking about going disc for AA and smite healing. Is this viable on this fight or would I be better just going holy or shadow?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    2 tanks 3 healers is perfectly fine with 5 dps. You should aim to get cho to phase 2 before the 5th add. If you cannot, the 5th add WILL despawn when you push him into phase 2, just make sure he is up and not about to just come up or if you push him to 25% the 5th add will remain.

On phase 2 its pretty much burn before you go oom. If everyone got little corruption in p1 this makes it alot easier for the healers. You can stun and interupt the beams from the tentacles too which i highly recommend. Keep killing tentacles till around 5% then focus on boss.

I figured I would comment here, my guild is 12/12 and cho'gall was our first 'end' of instance raid boss that we took down, followed by al'akir and then nef. We run 3 healers even now and we go through a fester with 4 adds down, in fact usually at 28% is when the 5th comes up and we just dps into the next phase. It's really about being smart almost yogg style, dont get hit by shit you dont need to get hit by and your corruption wont be an issue. Quite frankly as long as the add doesn't finish their cast and people dont get hit by shadow crash, its rinse and repeat, the only difference is 1 more set of adds come out. We run with only 2 ranged dps, one being a fire mage and the other myself, specced sv for that fight. Between a frost trap, entrapment, double traps, the mages frost nova, earthbind, and etc the adds are really a piece of cake. If you have issues with adds getting into the raid, there is probably an issue on where the adds are dying.

Deleted
    We just killed him recently with 2 healers and it went pretty well.

Some tips to deal with this fight:
    We had a druid and a holy priest, the druid was always on the cho'gall tank and helping out with the group when possible. Me (the holy priest) was healing the raid and the add tank, following him to the stairs when necessary.
    Both healers were unlucky with drops, meaning that we both have an average itemlevel of about 350/351. We didn't have healing support from the shamans, except on healing stream I believe.

Our tanks were a paladin and a warrior, who did the adds (better mobility).

We managed the fight with 3 ranged and 3 melee, the adds were done by 2 ele shamans, a fire mage and a dk, while rogue and ret paladin stayed on the boss (I think all the time in P1).

The advantages of just 2 healers:
    - 1-2 melee DPS (rogue) could stay on boss for the entire P1
    - we got to P2 without even killing the 4. add
    - P3 is over faster

Another great advice we got that helped a lot with P2: We tanked Cho'gall close to a wall, so that the tenacles spawned closer together and were easier und quicker to kill.

I can just recommend trying 2 healers, as it makes the fight so much faster (took us about 7:30min) and dealing with the adds easier. But it requires very good healers who know how to handle their CDs and conserve their mana if possible.
    It's much more stressful than with 3 healers, but very rewarding ;-) (we got so many compliments afterwards)

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    We've been 2 healing it from the first kill we had, we use holy paly/restodruid has healers and DK tanks and warrior tank

Warrior tanks first, we all stack up in cho'gal's a** so warrior can break all MC with showckwave. When warrior gets first debuff, DK's taunt while warrior get rdy for the add (he stays close to group because cho'gal does a MC right before first add and he has to break it). Then add comes, I (the druid) keep lifebloodx3 + rejuv on the warrior and its enough to keep him alive until the add dies. While DK gets debuff he pop defensive cooldown to help us out. When warrior's debuff fade he taunts back and we repeat the process ( its the same exept the MC takes place midway during they are killing the add so make sure both healer stay close to each other to interupt the MC and make sure DPS do the same while running after the add. When we're about to get him at 25%, we slow down dps ( usualy when our shadow priest does hymn because me and the holy paly are pretty much close to oom ) we let a last add spawn, when the add is spawned we get cho'gal to 25% and the add dispawn. From there on, dps's first job is to interupt/kill the eyes and then DPS cho'gal. You'll probably be oom during the last seconds of this phase

Thank you everyone, lots of good information in this thread. I'm sure this will help immensely.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belbrog View Post
    With a Hpala and a non shaman second healer it's doable. On a side note, DPS should not be a problem if u tight up our movement.
    What's wrong with Shaman healers? I've killed the boss in 10man with a Druid (first kill) a Disc priest that seldom raids and a shaman as my second healer with myself being a Holy Paladin.

It's safe to say any healer comp can do it, as long as they know what to do.

Let me put it to you this way. My 10man progression group wiped for 3 days on this guy trying to three heal it. I came on these forums and found a thread explaining two healing is far superior. We went in the next day to try the two healing method and one shot him.

Convinced?

lol, seriously though, if your healers can't handle two healing it they might just not be ready for the fight or your dps are morons standing in shadow crashes and fire. We only had to do about 10k hps each and both healed around 6m damage throughout the entire fight. I single healed the tank through the fight with no problems and even had the mana to help the raid healer top the dps off.

My guild has been tempted to try the 2 healer strat, but after over an hour of attempts so far I'm more in favor of our 3 healer setup. It just takes time for people to find their niche in the fight to optimize their dps/healing output and once you do it becomes fairly easy. It's really all just about optimizing your positioning for the fight to maximize dps.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    O_o I have never heard about doing it with 2 healers, all I can say is that doing it with 3 healers is extremely easy on the healers and gives the dps plenty of time.

So far, we've always done it with 3 healers, and have been pushing him into p3 before or during the 4th add. However, this week we noticed that we've been having much more trouble killing the oozes due to the nerf to our lock's AOE dmg. Adds are getting through and stacking up corruption, so we may try having me go elemental and 2 heal it when we continue on Thursday.

Duo healed it since we started progressing, oneshotted it every time after we killed it for first time 5 weeks ago. I'm a disc priest (tank healer) and using a resto druid for raid healing, with me assisting here and there.

For a video on how we did it, from my pov: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJdxXhQH3-E

Quote Originally Posted by Hadur View Post
    You can solo tank the encounter and keep the 3 healers.
    What do you do about the stacking dmg taken debuff and add tanking?

Quote Originally Posted by Antny View Post
    Healers - Holy Pally, Resto Sham (has ele spec), Resto Druid (has boomkin spec)
    Tanks - Prot Warrior (myself), Feral Druid
    That's exactly our Healer setup as well. We're going to be doin Cho again tommorow night (haven't downed him) and going to mix and match healer set up one of them to DPS. Will let you know how it worked when we're done!

Where is everyone tanking the boss during p1? By portal? By throne? In the center? For a 10 man group
    Last edited by irismoon; 2011-02-25 at 09:07 PM.

We 3 heal Cho'gall since our DPS is awesome, but the healing is pretty comfy and we could probably do it with 2.

Deleted
    In 10-man normal we just tank him all over the place, the tank just kites him when he has the fire buff. 2 healers as well as it's fairly easy to outheal the damage if no one stands in bad things.

When we first tried Cho'Gall we did it with 3 healers, and healing seemed extremely tough with 3, but then we went down to 2 healers (Killed with Hpala and Hpriest, now rolling with Hpriest and Rdruid) and aslong as you have good healing assignments, meaning one will be on tanks and one on raid (Saving mana on shadow/fire thingy in p1) you should be fine. Make sure one healer is running along to heal the tank tanking the adds, and make sure the interupts never fail. We killed him with 10 people up almost every week.