10+ Year Old Account

Computer keeps freezing then turning off

His is a random problem which keeps on happening. Sometimes my computer randomly freezes and after a minute just restarts itself. When the computer restarts itself however it will reach the loading menu then restart again, in the end I have to unplug the pc from the mains for 10 minutes. All of my fans are working and I have checked to see if any dust has built up and I have taken the case off but the problem still happens.
    My graphics card is up to date and it freezes when I am not doing anything, playing a game or just browsing the Internet. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Deleted
    Do you see any artifacts on your screen? If u don't know what these are look for weird forms and things that arent the correct color.

10+ Year Old Account
    Update your mobo/chipset drivers.
    Update Sound and LAN drivers
    Run windows repair utility
    Do you get a blue screen? if yes, what is the error code?

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a possible overheating problem

if it keeps restarting it could also mean ur power supply is failing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Looks like overheating issue, even when your fans are working, there might be lack of thermal substance between fan and chip which can lead to overheating. Double check if something is really hot inside. Next step would be probably BIOS update. Then try replacing or unplugging random parts to find the cause.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by searanoxx View Post
    if it keeps restarting it could also mean ur power supply is failing.
    i had that once, restarting +20 times ea morning, otherwise it wasent anny problem lol

My guess. Either something is overheating. Or possibly a RAM/PSU issue. My wife's PC was doing the same thing a while ago. Ended up being a bad stick of Ram. If you have more than one stick try removing one and if it still happens swap them out and try again. If that doesn't do it. Physically check to see if the GPU/CPU is really hot. After that look at the PSU. Possibly it's overheating or it's not enough to run everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    When it freezes the screen is normally just stuck as what I was doing with it, sometimes though two black squares/rectangle appear at the top.
    The metal bit of the graphics when I feel it does dwell quite hot and it has a fan attached to it.

Download a temp monitoring program like CPU-Z and see what your temps are like. It's possible that you need to re-apply the thermal paste and heatsink for your CPU. Or are you sure the fan on your GPU is still working, or if its a doublewide version that its not clogged inside with dust? Try putting in a different GPU and see if it still has that happen.

Is your graphics card an ATI by any chance?

I only ask because this sounds like a problem I was having with my ATI card when Windows would automatically update the driver.
    Last edited by helusay; 2011-02-22 at 07:10 PM.