Shaman Starter UI

Alright so I play an elemental shaman and I am what some may call a "clicker". I do realize there are UI addons that do help with this, and I was hoping that somebody could introduce me to something that is easy to pick up and get used to real quick. My current UI is this:

As you can see I have a rather simple setup (ignore the recount...it was from a wipe) and I feel upon seeing my fellow raider's UI that keybindings and the such could help me get some DPS boosts out of it. So anyways...ya fire away I suppose.

Oh right so yes I did try the UI from the "Ultimate Shaman UI" thread but appearntly it doesnt like to work on a laptop with a 1366x768 resolution so...ya that screwed me over.

Moved to Interface & Macro Forum subsection.

Bartender. Get it.

Easiest way ever to assign keybindings.

Is there anything else about your UI you want changed?

Hmm will see if that works....any Font Changes (aka the ones that appear above enemy nameplates w/ dmg done) for the luls?

Just get a few mods like Bartender (or any other customizable bar mod), a chat mod like prat, and a raid frames like grid (and get clique incase u ever need to heal). Then just arrange them where ever you feel comfortable with. Bartender has a key bind section that allows you to change everything. I personally have my "main" attacks and spells for my shaman as ` thru 7 then I put in things like random totems as shift + ` thru 7, my totems are set as G and I have bigger cooldowns as f1-f3, and then I have every healing spell bound thru clique (minus healing rain). It seems to work for me as dps, as enhance, which we have alot of buttons to use and things to keep track off. In lesser gear I can manage around 18k in BH (ive never gotten to dps in an actuall raid).

Oh and dont forget a cooldown mod, even if all it does is show the cooldown on ur buttons insted of on the screen.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

While ingame, press excape. In the menu that pops up click on keybindings. Get in there and go nuts. Standard UI is absolutely good enough, you just need to assign buttons to those bars with all your abilities on.

I'm using R, E, Q, X, C, V, F, § and all the modifiers like shift, ctrl and alt to bind basically every bar I have on my screen.

Deleted
    forget bartender or any bar addon. that does nothing to help you.

Key binds:
    Q,E,R,T,F,G,Z,X,C,V,B - Shift modifiers
    1,2,3,4,5,6...(as many as u can w/o stretching ur fingers to much) - Shift & Alt Modifiers
    F1,F2,F3...

Addons:
    Quartz (good to check ur ms)
    Pitbull, ignore party and raid frames from this (good unitframe[player, target...])
    Blizzard party/raid frames are good and are very customizable with scripts.
    Tidyplates (easy targeting if your not tab-targetting)
    totemtimers
    MSBT & NiceDamage
    DBM.
    this is all u need for pve purposes.

If you want something pretty thats a hole lot different xb, check this one:

mbXtremeUI 3.0
    youtube . com/watch?v=NT-pXRpAco0
    wowinterface . com/downloads/info19283-mbXtremeUI3.0.htm
    My version (screenshot): imageshack . us/img442/9725/wowscrnshot020911162446.jpg
    I use 1680*1050, I had to scale the UI down(video-advanced-UiScale)

A few suggestions.

First off, like others have said, get Bartender. Next, move all your bars somewhere, but condense them. Clicking wastes a lot of valuable time in movement, and your awareness suffers. I suggest making a small 8 button wide, 5 button tall box in the bottom center of your screen. With all of your buttons in one place, monitoring cooldowns is much, much easier.

The other thing rearranging all your buttons together helps you with is organization. Many clickers, and I can see you do it a little bit, arrange their buttons by the order they will most likely use them in. If you arrange your buttons into a small square, you can put similar CD's near each other on top, making them easy to glance at. Also, if you bind something to 1, your 2 bind should be to it's right. It helps a LOT for memorizing a fresh start in keybinding. I went through something similar when I bought a Razer Naga, I had to rethink all of my binds.

I also suggest a mod called ForteXorcist. It gives you a cooldown bar that you can place anywhere, that your CDs pop up on when you use them, and slowly work their way from the long duration end to 0 on the other end of the bar. You can use this to quickly monitor cooldowns a little more visually, and time it without actually having to look at your buttons. Many people use this to monitor their CD's, and hide their action bars until they mouseover them. This too helps in memorizing, because it FORCES you to remember where it is, but it can also be more frustrating for a first timer.

Now for the best part. The best way to keybind is the all or nothing approach. You have to arrange your bars, do your housekeeping to see which buttons you don't actually need, and then set up a keybind for each button you have. Things like mounts or professions aren't necessary to keybind. I won't lie, doing this hurts. You've been playing a shaman for years, and all of a sudden it feels like you ebayed a level 85. Again, arrange your buttons how they look on your keyboard (not including spaces). You bind F to Frost Shock and G to Ghostwolf? Put F and G next to each other on your bars.

The command to change keybinds in Bartender is /kb, and it VERY easy to use, plus you get a visual indication of what keybinds are on what buttons with a mouseover. This is so much better than the Blizzard Keybinds menu, as not many people know which button Action Bar 3 Button 6 is. I would much rather look at the icon and scream I WANT THIS HERE.

You will be awkward, and you will play very poorly for a while, but you have to go from full clicking to full keybinds if you want to have any hope of having it come to you quickly. You will gradually get better, and then one day you will wake up and be like hmmm, I can picture where all my skills are, then all you have to do is press it.

Welcome to a whole new skill cap waiting for you!

Just wondering, you should keep a record of your average DPS before you keybind, and then switch to full keybinds, and once you get comfortable look at your average DPS, and the upgrades you got, and see how big the disparity is. If your DPS goes up by 4k, and your gear upgrades only warranted 1k of that, success!

Edit: Additional thoughts

Here is a link to another thread that should be helpful, and here is part of my comment. I know you want to change to keybinds, and I'm not harping on you at all, I know you want to be better, but I felt this was a good example of what you should be able to expect.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...4#post10210374

Quote Originally Posted by Greedybeaver View Post

Question Five No, they aren't inherently bad, some are even very good (this is a tiny number), it still stands however that they may be good clickers, but they are simply not as good as they would be with keybinds.

I will paint a picture for you. You are tanking 2 mobs, and there is one other person in your party. Your partymember draws aggro. You will like to do three things.

1: Stun your mob
    2:Taunt the second mob going for party member
    3:Resume DPS on your mob with an attack.

Process for a Clicker (assuming neutral mouse position, primary mob selected)

Step 1: Move mouse to stun.
    Step 2: Click stun.
    Step 3: Move mouse to secondary mob.
    Step 4: Click secondary mob.
    Step 5: Move mouse to taunt.
    Step 6: Click taunt
    Step 7: Move mouse to primary mob.
    Step 8: Click primary mob.
    Step 9: Move mouse to attack.
    Step 10: Click attack.

Now that same thing with keybinds, and mouseover macros, which only work when keybound (assuming neutral mouse position, primary mob selected)
    Step 1: Press stun keybind.
    Step 2: Mouseover secondary mob.
    Step 3: Press taunt keybind.
    Step 4: Press attack keybind.
    Also, here is a guide from Arena Junkies I thought was very helpful, especially the downloadable excel sheet with a keyboard layout.

http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/55...binds-and-you/
    Last edited by Greedybeaver; 2011-02-22 at 11:15 PM.

At Vilaca.

The point of bar mods is usually to clean everything up, if u can have everything nice and tidy down at the bottom of your screen leaving the rest of the monitor for you to watch whats going on around you, you will do better.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

Quote Originally Posted by ikno View Post
    Use UltimateShamanUI
    guessing you didnt bother to read under the picture