Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Death rules:
    No1. If the Tank dies, it's the Healer's fault.
    No2. If the Healer dies, it's the Tank's fault.
    No3. If the DPS dies, it's the DPS' fault. No exceptions.
    Feral Druids are the most "feared" class in PvP.
    Warodl - Warod

Quote Originally Posted by Warod View Post
    Death rules:
    One exception: I have seen a few healers with very... selfless ambitions, they do not heal themselves through aoe damage, but keep everyone else alive.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Triage

The term you're looking for it "Triage":
    HTML Code:
    tri·age  (tr-äzh, träzh) n.
    1. A process for sorting injured people into groups based on their need for or likely benefit from immediate medical treatment. Triage is used in hospital emergency rooms, on battlefields, and at disaster sites when limited medical resources must be allocated.
    2. A system used to allocate a scarce commodity, such as food, only to those capable of deriving the greatest benefit from it.
    Basically, you heal what you can. In some situations, you have to assess your ability to spend your limited resources - whether it be limited by your max HPS right now, or considering your MP5 because the fight won't be over this second, and you decide what you can heal.

Sometimes as a healer you'll even find that you can't heal everyone - even if they're not being retarded (well, obviously if they were pro they wouldn't need heals as much, but...) but just missed some thing - didn't get a DoT up on Ozruk, everyone stood in fire for a tick before gtfo, whatever - and you realize that your resources are limited such that you can't actually keep everyone alive. So, you may have to decide, who do I let die so that the group can complete? Typically it's the person needing most healing (other than the tank), but sometimes that person is also doing so much more dps than someone else that you decide to keep them alive and let a low dps die, presumably because of an enrage timer.

To answer your question, you heal them if you can't complete the fight without them alive. If you can 4-man it, heal them and warn them the first time, and let them roast the second time....

I will heal them maybe twice.. then after that I will only keep them at about 20-30% the rest of the run so that random dots and shit dont kill them but all the avoidable stuff that does heavy dmg will and when they die I let them know why they are dying till either they improve or leave.

If they wanna learn perhaps they should be doing normals.

In heroics we're not there to carry people who think they deserve to be raiders just because they pay their monthly fees.

Then ofc you get the people who say "well i'm not a raider so i didn't know!"
    Well why are you doing something that is intended to prepare you for raiding?

IMO its not a bad habit and i don't plan on stopping it either. Haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Warod View Post
    Death rules:
    You are wrong on so many levels it's funny.

No1. Did tank use CDs?
    No2. Are Dps all over the place?
    No3. Usually is right

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfanos View Post
    Hello there,
    I have been a healer for a couple of months now and have done every 5 man dungeon in the game, excluding 7 or 8 cata heroics.

I have picked up a habit that I am not sure is bad or not. My habit is this (and it applies especially to cata heroics); if there is a dps in the group that is taking a more damage than the rest of the group (respective to class of course), is standing in the path of obvious avoidable damage and is generally slacking over all and then we get stuck in a tough spot and I'm burning more mana than usual on that dps, I then usually just let that dps die and focus my healing on the rest of the group and then we usually come out fine (then I res the dps and more often than not they get kicked when the rest of the group gets fed up with them).

I have read and heard that "letting a player die because they are bad is not teaching them anything", I do believe this, but I don't believe I'm doing it for that reason. I have done this a few times and have never been kicked for it.

I just wanted to know what you think, is this a bad habit to keep or is it understandable for me to do this to save the rest of the group?
    Well you have to conserve mana or dink after every pull if they stand in bad stuff ya it is there fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    isn't "7-8 cata heroics" like... all of them? lol

you guys are dicks. the only time you should let someone die is in a bad situation like a mis-pull or a surprise pat where mana is low and it's beneficiary to the group if you let one fall so you can concentrate on keeping everyone else up. then it's a judgement call. i usually let a ranged class go (unless they're clearly ahead on damage output) because melee can offtank for a bit til things are under control.

just because lives are in your hands doesn't make you some sort of god
    somebody call for d doctor?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo333 View Post
    you guys are dicks. the only time you should let someone die is in a bad situation like a mis-pull or a surprise pat where mana is low and it's beneficiary to the group if you let one fall so you can concentrate on keeping everyone else up. then it's a judgement call. i usually let a ranged class go (unless they're clearly ahead on damage output) because melee can offtank for a bit til things are under control.

just because lives are in your hands doesn't make you some sort of god
    If you suck and stand in fires, then yes, during those fourtyfive minutes we are god.

Hello there,
    I have been a healer for a couple of months now and have done every 5 man dungeon in the game, excluding 7 or 8 cata heroics.

I have picked up a habit that I am not sure is bad or not. My habit is this (and it applies especially to cata heroics); if there is a dps in the group that is taking a more damage than the rest of the group (respective to class of course), is standing in the path of obvious avoidable damage and is generally slacking over all and then we get stuck in a tough spot and I'm burning more mana than usual on that dps, I then usually just let that dps die and focus my healing on the rest of the group and then we usually come out fine (then I res the dps and more often than not they get kicked when the rest of the group gets fed up with them).

I have read and heard that "letting a player die because they are bad is not teaching them anything", I do believe this, but I don't believe I'm doing it for that reason. I have done this a few times and have never been kicked for it.

I just wanted to know what you think, is this a bad habit to keep or is it understandable for me to do this to save the rest of the group?
    Not teaching them anything?! Are you for real? You are not their mentor, let them die.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo333 View Post
    you guys are dicks. the only time you should let someone die
    It would be dickish to let someone die casually. That's why almost everyone's suggesting to heal them the first time, and warn them about what they're doing; and if they don't fix their behavior and play right, why should we keep healing them? This isn't Real Life. Obviously in Real Life, we'd keep healing someone long enough to be able to drop them off at their mom's or wherever; this is a game, however, and it's not a fun game to have to heal someone who's pretty much deliberately ignoring reasonable play style (and is, therefore, being a dick).

What would you do if the tank just stood in fire on every pull and made the healer go OOM and wiped the group? Hmm.... hey tank, don't do that..... tank does it again. Ok looks like we need a new tank, too bad this may take a while but we're getting nowhere. What would you do if the healer was being stupid and standing in fire? Find a new healer.

These dps are lucky that they're not just getting kicked for being stupid - that would be warranted, though somewhat dickish. Instead, we're suggesting to help them learn - and you don't help someone learn by there not being any consequences. Consequences, here, is lack of heals when you don't play right, and getting a repair bill.

It's not dickish, it's perfectly reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by blazto View Post
    You are wrong on so many levels it's funny.

No1. Did tank use CDs?
    No2. Are Dps all over the place?
    No3. Usually is right
    Actually no its not wrong taken basically and simply as its meant its dead right. Your not meant to phsychoanalyse it lol

Death rules:

has a lot of merit. What is presumes and the only think it presume it everyone has an idea of what to do and a brain cell to work with.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    Step 1: Heal through the first mistakes and take note.
    Step 2: Heal through the second mistake and plainly address the tard in /party.
    Step 3: Do not heal through the third mistake and rez the tard when out of combat.
    Step 4: Do not heal through the fourth mistake and do not rez the tard when out of combat.
    Step 5: Type /p lulz@dead guy and run away.

If the tard just lays there without releasing, vote to kick. However, by this time, the tard will likely be spewing vitriol as he releases, runs back and drops group on his own.
    You forgot step 6 and 7
    Step 6: ????
    Step 7: PROFIT

While I agree that it is justifiable to do just what you're doing, I also have to say that after a few tiers of upgrades, you'll probably be bored jumping in circles in heroics wishing you had that "tard" to make it interesting and give you something to do. lol

if you have the ability to save someone standing in a fire but choose not to do it, you are only slowing the run down and hurting yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Make sure that the damage they are taking is avoidable. Also, even if they are idiots, sometimes you need their extra dps to down the boss, so you have to forgo giving them a Darwin Award.

Hello there,

Not only is this Ok, but it also shows that you have the makings of being a great healer...

DPS were spoiled in Wrath for having constant heals on them at all times, disregarding the fact that their 1337 deeps was pulling all the threat, and getting dumped with loads of damage. You can't pull that crap in Cata. Not avoiding damage gets you killed, not applying/breaking CC gets you killed.. it's part of the game, and if the DPS are too stupid to figure it out, then they aren't worth the healing if they always manage to blow all of their HP in one go...

Lots of people have mentioned it being OK to let them die at times.

Be aware of the mechanics of some mobs/instances though. There's some mobs that do Fan of Knives in the Lost city. Melee will take what seems like stupid amounts of damage which can't really be avoided.
    There may be more examples

I play a priest and in heroics I rarely have to use a tank CD on the tank so I save it for a DPS that gets a little crazy.

I think it gets the message across when the fury warrior in the group all of a sudden grows a pair of flashy wings that tells him,

A) you have aggro... fix it
    B) you're in something... fix it
    C) you're in a cleave... fix your positioning relative to mob/boss
    D) see all of the above

I rarely have to say anything... the wings do the talking for me. If they don't get the hint, they die.

TLDR:
    I blow a CD on them once but not twice.