Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    baddies cannot still heal and tank even with 15% buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pozz View Post
    That's the way I mess up most as well... Saving everyone but myself =/
    haha...being such a healer myself, I was more than happy to discover "Protector of the Innocent"....

Quote Originally Posted by tzgreat View Post
    haha...being such a healer myself, I was more than happy to discover "Protector of the Innocent"....
    I love that talent so much!

Generally, in heroics, I save people when I can, even if I have to constantly tell them that the fire does not give a dps buff. If I have the mana, it doesn't matter. Rezzing them because they were stupid while I'm still at 80% mana after the fight just slows the group down. If I don't have the mana, however, all bets are off. I have a priority list of people to heal, in that case:

1) Good tank
    2) Good DPS
    3) DPS that stays out of the fire (even if their dps is not so good)
    4) Tank that stands in fire (god help you if we have a good feral druid or dps dk in group that I can keep alive, I might not even brez you)
    5) DPS that stands in fire

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    fukk yea, let em die !!!!
    ........THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL !!!!!

To OP: Yes, you are performing triage. While not much of a necessity during Wrath, it is a must during Cata, especially in entry-level gear (entry ilvl for dungeon) or players who still have the rush-in-smash-what-moves mentality rather than caring for mechanics or CC.

Keep yourself alive (so much easier to say than to do, my Pally healer stays up much more often than my Druid main, Protector of Innocent ftw) but unless AOE dmg is massive or a specific mechanic, if tank and dps are focusing you shouldn't be taking much damage.

Keep the tank up. Also keep the DPS up, but if someone refuses to get out of fire, don't waste your mana if it means losing your tank or another dps with a grasp of the mechanics. Personally, I will let someone die once, explain why (don't stand in fire, take aggro, etc), and try to heal them if they make efforts to fix it the next time. Doing the same thing the third time means I ignore their raid frame and let them die.

Edited to add: I'm not saying DPS are always the ones to die to avoidable damage. If you have a tank that is making things far too difficult and have a melee dps (or hunter pet) you think you can keep up, let your tank go down and heal the alternative for that combat session. Then explain to the tank what happened, and see above. If it still doesn't work out, try to find a new tank.

As someone who leveled resto, it is very hard for me to just let someone die. In Wrath, I generally had to want someone to die because I could heal through almost anything, and barring horrendous pulls, deaths in group were my fault. In Cata, I just can't keep everyone at 100% all the time and I can't heal people taking tons of avoidable damage; not if I want to have mana left to heal the rest of the party. I simply can't - and it's not my (a healer's) fault.
    Last edited by y02mustang; 2011-02-23 at 07:56 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I typically heal them through said thing the first time and mention what they did. If they spew vitriolic hate, not excluding "it's your job to heal me," I usually let them die the following time.

However, I find letting them know what they're doing wrong is better than generally being an asshole right away, because like it or not, some people genuinely do not know the content. Take Corborus for example; had a dps that stood in the burrow and instantly died, and bashed me because I should have used a...bubble or something on him. (I'm a paladin.) If he would've been an adult, admitted his mistake, he wouldn't have gotten the boot.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was healing a Vortex Pinnacle run earlier today on my shaman and the tank and dps refused to use cc even though we had a mage, hunter and ret pally. They dps also like to attack whatever they wanted. Needless to say, everyone was wasting dps attacking whatever they wanted while the adepts healed. I let 2 of them die and the same thing happened on the next pull. Then on the boss they refused to jump for static cling. I cleansed the first one and didn't touch the second one and needless to say me and the tank ended up killing the boss. They told me to relax and chill out, yet they didn't seem to understand that they were the ones messing up.

I let people know once when I am healing what they are doing wrong and to fix it, after that they die.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you try to heal people taking unavoidable damage, you end up putting the group in danger. Hence the term triage. There are some people you can save, and some people you can't. The healer's game is to figure out who is worth saving. It's a given that a player taking unnecessary damage is playing poorly, but what people don't realize is that the player healing him through it for too long is also playing bad.

I do what I can to heal but typically i just can't heal all that much. Right now my druid is 84 and in quest greens. As you can expect my heal throughput is terrible, and my mana is terrible. I can keep the tank up readily, but when some punch drunk dps (usually melee) go ballistic there is only so much i can do.

I do get a kick (enjoy) out of the following: DK (dps): WTF I almost died, i had 4k health! Heal me! me: I did throw you a few heals, but was busy healing the tank. Tank: Yeah you really need to attack my target and don't pull aggro.

If you die as a DK dps you just suck. I mean really. tons of self-heals, good tanking skills, great interrupts, great survival CDs.

Its really a matter of the dps learning to avoid shit that kills them. In BC we were damn lucky to get a single heal. All heals went to the tank. Nowadays people are pulling aggro left and right expecting to get healed through it. I'll do it if i can, but i'm not going to bust a gut (and probably pull aggro) saving some idiot.

Unfortunatly for the other guys in my party....I do let them die when they stand in fire....or " void zones"...But I dont do it out of malice....its just the way I found to teach newb the way heroics works.

Prioritizing is a relevant part of healing. If there's more damage to heal than what you're capable of, letting the worst, least useful player die makes the most sense.