Thread: OOMing as disc

OOMing as disc

today during BH i had problems managing mana.

me and a holy pally were 2 manning it

i popped all my CD's for mana regen, but i still OOMed before the end of the fight
    i had only 7% over healed and really only PW:Sed the tanks

what am i doing wrong?
    heres my toon
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...i/vazar/simple

10+ Year Old Account
    BH, while not a hard raid, is very mana consuming, especially if you're the only one dispelling. Or maybe the Paladin wasn't healing enough, that could explain the low overhealing, and the going out of mana. Did you make sure you had a Rapture proc every 12 seconds?
    Resurrected Holy Priest

You have a log for that? If you had to carry the paladin then you probably aren't geared to the point where you could do that any not feel like you were constrained on mana.

me (holy paladin) and our GM (disc priest) solo heal this every week and both finish at 70% or more mana. we're well geared sitting at 361 and 358 but most of your raid members should be able to selfheal some between each cleave. glyph your disspell so it uses less mana, i dont know how much mana mass disspell costs but in 10man i dont think it's very ideal to use.

Deleted
    A combatlog would be useful. Without it we only could give general tips and advices.
    Try to keep Inner Focus on CD (maybe macro it into your spells)
    use Mass Dispell (it's cheaper than Dispel Magic for 3+ targets) to remove the debuff (you can dispell both groups with one cast, as long as they dont spread to much).
    You've specced SoS instead of AA. Since the mana"adjustment" of PWS you dont want to replace it every time Weakend Soul disapeares. You should replace the shield on the tanks after >12 sec. The spell's pretty expansive and Rapture only proccs every 12s and/or try an AA-build.
    Train of Thought is AWESOME (tm). Take it, it makes your GH more efficient than Heal (HPS and HPM), drop Focused Will to get the points.
    Drop Glyph Barrier and use Glyph PoH instead.
    Glyph Inner Fire may be replaced by Glyph Divine Accuracy (if you want to go for an AA build) most raid damage is magical.
    You're reforging for haste. Maybe you should wait for better gear since it wont increase your HPM and only makes you run oom faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    glyph your disspell so it uses less mana
    we dont have such a glyph ;-)
    Last edited by mmocc80f650927; 2011-02-23 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    me (holy paladin) and our GM (disc priest) solo heal
    2 people =/= solo. :P

Anyways, I healed BH in worse gear than OP, and wasn't OOMing. But then again, I was Holy, and it was when Holy concentration was at 90%. Is the Paladin undergeared/slacking? Are you spamming PoH too much healing the other side's group? You have quite a bit of time to heal up your side, so you don't need to be spamming PoH, just use one or two PoH's and then Heal/Penance from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

On gearing, drop your glyph of PW:B to pick up glyph of PoH - it'll generally serve you better, especially in 10-mans. Also, you have 44 mastery on your wrists reforged to hit rating when it appears you have more than enough spirit to be hit capped via talents in shadow, so reforge that to haste instead.

Use barrier on your group the first time you take a slash, and you should be able to use it a second time in the fight later. So long as you're quick on dispelling your group, you really ought to be just single-target healing your tank aside from the slash, and after the slash you have a good amount of time to get your party up before more damage is sustained, so you can use your more efficient spells there. PoM during the stationary phase isn't really likely to bounce much, so you can probably leave it out, though you'll definitely want it out there for the movement phase. During the movement phase minimal healing should be required, but if you have some people who fail at moving and you need to heal you may want to flip to inner will for cheaper PoM, renews, and shields till you get back.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Deleted
    get some addon to track your rapture cd it rly helps at managing your mana.
    only fight im having mana problems is nefarian

i just checked your spec and you could go for 2/2 veiled shadows to get 1min cd reduce on your shadowfiend

below is the spec im using. i didnt take desparate prayer cuz imo its kinda useless for pve and the 1% haste won´t make a difference at all.

http://wowtal.com/#k=veN3nvAm.aei.priest.

im taking my stat prio like this

int>spirit>mastery>haste>crit
    Last edited by mmocc4efc40c5e; 2011-02-23 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serona View Post
    get some addon to track your rapture cd it rly helps at managing your mana.
    only fight im having mana problems is nefarian

i just checked your spec and you could go for 2/2 veiled shadows to get 1min cd reduce on your shadowfiend

below is the spec im using. i didnt take desparate prayer cuz imo its kinda useless for pve and the 1% haste won´t make a difference at all.

http://wowtal.com/#k=veN3nvAm.aei.priest.

im taking my stat prio like this

int>spirit>mastery>haste>crit
    Just adding that this is the spec I use, and would suggest. 2 Fiends on fights, especially if you're having mana issues, is a god send. Also, I use the Addon "Rapture" to monitor raptures, which is also a good idea.

Like was said, if you're solo dispelling mana can be a pain on some fights (I did 25 man and casting the Mass Dispel destroyed my mana, and made me a sad panda) but without a log it's hard to give any feedback other than general mistakes people make that might help.

I healed yesterday with druid with my priest ilevel 339. Was totally oom but we manage to get boss down.
    So first You can preshield your group before pull. Of course pop your cds when they are ready. So IF at the start. After aoe infusion.
    Regen mana while storm=dont cast at all, just regen. Or switch to Inner Will and renew only at the start then regen.
    On first storm, at the end hymn of hope. Before BL/Hero pop shadowfiend.
    If that doesn't help call higher dps = shorter fight :P

Deleted
    You don't really have to bring up that you 2healed BH, that's what you do... bringing 3 healers sounds like a free trip to enrageland, it's really easy to 2man. I've done it several times with me as holy priest being the only dispeller and carrying the other healer, and I'm not even in great gear (ilvl 450 equipped).

Maybe you're managing your cooldowns badly... though I'd just say overall that Holy is clearly superior at argaloth since there's a lot of raidhealing going on. I generally just relax in chakra: sanctuary, keep renew on tanks and throw some heals. When the important attack comes up I shoot a PoM at the tank, I precast prayer of healing, then a circle of healing. Another PoH and everyone should be topped.

Another important thing: Don't heal during fire rain. It's made to let you regain mana, if people can't stay out of fire, that's their problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tobberoth View Post
    I've done it several times with me as holy priest being the only dispeller and carrying the other healer, and I'm not even in great gear (ilvl 450 equipped).

Maybe you're managing your cooldowns badly... though I'd just say overall that Holy is clearly superior at argaloth since there's a lot of raidhealing going on. I generally just relax in chakra: sanctuary, keep renew on tanks and throw some heals. When the important attack comes up I shoot a PoM at the tank, I precast prayer of healing, then a circle of healing. Another PoH and everyone should be topped.

Another important thing: Don't heal during fire rain. It's made to let you regain mana, if people can't stay out of fire, that's their problem.
    ilvl 450 equipped? I'm jealous!! :P

But on point, the OP didn't ask if holy or disc is better for the fight, so contributions of thought that apply to healing it as disc would probably be more appreciated. Off point to what you mentioned, there is very little raid healing going on other than cleaning up after a slash, for which there is ample time for either spec to handle it. Having healed this fight as both holy and disc back before gearing made it a total joke I didn't find it much harder or easier for either spec.

The damage in this fight is very predictable, meaning you should be able to heal it quite efficiently so long as the tanks are taunting and people are stacking / moving properly, and so long as dispels are applied very quickly. Make sure you're not resorting to FH on the tank except as an absolute last resort, and don't feel you 'have to save' PS for an absolutely critical situation. Like PW:B for relieving pressure on raid damage, use PS early on to relieve pressure on the tank allowing you an easier time managing heals after a slash, and you'll have it available for similar use a second time later in the fight.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't really have to bring up that you 2healed BH, that's what you do... bringing 3 healers sounds like a free trip to enrageland, it's really easy to 2man. I've done it several times with me as holy priest being the only dispeller and carrying the other healer, and I'm not even in great gear (ilvl 450 equipped).

How is ilvl 450 equipped not great gear? I'm at 355, and I've killed every boss except for Nefarian on normal. Or did you made a typo? I don't know the heroic itemlevel by hearth.
    And I know you were trying to be constructive, and please don't see this as a personal attack, but suggestion to switch specs, especially for something like Baradin Hold isn't really what the OP asked for. The fight is doable with probably every combination of healers.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    How is ilvl 450 equipped not great gear? I'm at 355, and I've killed every boss except for Nefarian on normal. Or did you made a typo? I don't know the heroic itemlevel by hearth.
    Safe bet he meant to say 350 equipped, as highest ilvl gear in the game right now is 379.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    That would appear to be a typo... in iLevel 450 gear you could probably solo tank, heal AND dps heroic Tier 11 raids. ;-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslick View Post
    Safe bet he meant to say 350 equipped, as highest ilvl gear in the game right now is 379.
    Yup, I noticed. After my post I went to check :-). Should've been rather obvious...
    Resurrected Holy Priest

We 3 healed bh the first week and made the enrage... We did it on 25m after that so I didn't even realize most people 2 healed it until over a month later when I got my priest up.

Holy may be better for it but disc works just fine with the raid healing required for bh. Heal your tank, get slashes, casually use poh top your 5 people up. If that and dispelling your group makes you oom something else is going wrong. I also even in crap gear did have the mana to heal stupid pugs in the fire phase as you basically get free regen time as is when he is on the other group.

Sounds like the other healer wasn't pulling his weight. It's happened to me a few times as well. I end up being the only one dispelling and often have to use Prayer of Healing on the other group because they are still at 60% with a slash incoming.

First time we killed it on ten man, we were mostly blue normal+heroic geared, nothing special, but we two man healed it as HPriest+Hpala. Mana was tight but we carefully assigned healing to make it easier. I was in G1, Pala in G2. When the boss was facing my group, I was healing up the slashes on my group and the paladin was on dispelling duty. When he was targetting group 2, the Pala was healing up the slashes on his side and I was dispelling.

Easy. Saves wasted mana from you both trying to dispel the same target, stops one person 'over dispelling' and carrying the other healer.

Just as doable as disc+Hpala as Hpriest tbh, just don't go overboard and trying to do what your gear won't allow. It's easy to get carried away and heal anything in range, but cata generally requires more control and a disciplined approach to healing. Assignments help! They don't mean you're bad, they mean you're smart.