Graphic card and CPU advice

I am looking to buy a new computer.

Now, what i thought is the most simple and elegant solution is to pick one of the pre-built computers they have in some of the shops around me, and just replace graphic card (and maybe also add RAM/HDD/Power supply).

Now these configurations usually have strong CPU for marketing purposes and a week graphic card.
    So i was wondering if i could get some general info on CPU's i should look for, as well as graphic cards. Also how much RAM is optimal?
    My needs are WoW/SC2/Fraps mostly...

I am not on a budget so to say, but i would like my computer to be along the lines of best-buy models, don't need to go overboard. Would like to spend as little money as possible.

Thank you.
    "DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy."

replace graphic card (and maybe also add RAM/HDD/Power supply).
    Sure you don't want to build one?

Right there we are already a little over halfway home.

Building a new one is a bit complicated, since i remember in the past i could never find everything at the one place...
    Anyway, i probably wouldn't need to add ram at the start, HDD also.
    Power supply only if graphic card i pick can't be supported by the one inside.
    "DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy."

Why buy more expensive pre-built just to replace half the parts, having to spend even more money? Rather just build it yourself from the scratch, rest of the parts aren't any harder to plug in than those you mentioned really.

Well, you run into a few problems with buying a pre-built then upgrading. 1 being CPU socket. Say you buy a computer pre-built that features an Intel i5 750. You are limited to chips made for the LGA 1156 socket type, unless you replace the mobo. 2nd problem is, the cases that come from factories such as Dell, or HP are often made to prevent upgrading, simply because they want you to buy a new computer, not just buy parts and give them no more money.

So in conclusion, if you're looking to spend money on a CPU and GPU (2 most expensive parts), you minus well just build from scratch and save more cash. Truthfully it's stupid easy anyways. Don't forget you can buy stuff online, and get most of it shipped for free these days. My latest build cost me a whopping 7 dollars to ship and arrived in 3 days.
    Last edited by Alan1187; 2011-02-23 at 08:35 AM.