Video editing/compression help.

Basically, I need to know what to use. I got http://www.virtualdub.org/ but when I go to 'compress' I have no idea which option to pick. It says DIVx, but there is no DIVx, or I'm just blind/stupid. Also, what should I use to edit? Free software preferably.

Thank you for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Skramz View Post
    Also, what should I use to edit? Free software preferably.
    http://explore.live.com/windows-live...maker?os=other

Requires Vista or Win7 that passes through activation validation. Best free editing solution for beginners.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    source video? What kind of material are you editing?

Using virtualdub for compression feels a little 2003. I only use it to save FRAPS videos into totally uncompressed AVI's that I can import(transcoded) into Avid media composer (which is far from free software so it's not for you). Compressing your final output with the help of vdub.. I'd say no.

As for free editing software, I dunno. What good free editing alternatives are out there, really? Anyone got something? You COULD get a 30 day trial on adobe premiere. I assume Sony Vegas got some kind of trial as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I recommend not using XviD/DivX and instead using an H.264 codec. Far far far more cross compatible and better quality.
    red panda red panda red panda!

I'm using the sony vegas free trial for now. Thanks for the help.