Holy Raid healing question.

Here is my armory. (it wouldnt let me put the link) Merll on moonrunner

For instance on Halfus. I'll beacon one tank, and pretty much heal the other tank. I holy shock on cool down. DL with the proc. 3HP WoG. Judge on cooldown as long as the global wont kill someone. I am normally 10.5k to 12k hps. But if I average around 12k hps I go oom prettty quickly. I do use my ae cooldowns and haste cooldowns, but I'm sure i waste part of it poping them at the wrong time.

When I'm trying to heal the tank and the other with beacon my rotation doesnt normally keep up. I read that paladins are king of tank healing, but im having trouble with it.

I will say I started healing at lvl 85. I have always been a tank or ret.

And fyi I get my valor point trinket today, so i'll replace the bad one.

I am using int flask/mana pots.

I know every fight is alittle different, but what priority should I be using to keep both tanks up. Also I'f im just healing the tank without beacon (because he is low atm) I would HS then if no procs happen do I FoL or slow cast DL or HL. I know what to do when things proc. Its when they dont i run into trouble.
    Last edited by Merll; 2011-02-23 at 04:50 PM. Reason: trinket

Deleted
    Is this 10 or 25 man and how many healers do you raid with also what are their classes?

Sorry about that. This is 10 normal.

We are just starting out and we are only 4/12.

ATM we are using Holy Paladin/Disc Priest/Resto Druid.

THanks again.

Oh, and we are killing halfus. This was just the simpliest fight for me to describe to ask the healing question.

I personally find that usually in Cata you run into trouble when you try to do things completely alone. Being solely responsible for tankhealing (except for specials like chimaeron maybe) will strip me of my mana pretty quickly whereas some small additions like some druid hots or shaman earthshield do wonders and let me keep my manasave-rotation with the occasional spike-compensation.

Maybe your fellow healers and you can support each other by dividing the load just a tad bit.

OP armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...r/merll/simple

Do you meele to get more mana? On Halfus you can easily do that, I usually meele the dragon that won't be killed. Check your mana gained after the fight. You should be able to get at least twice as much mana as you have during the fight (it depends on external CD, like Hymns, but still) If you have 100k mana, you should be getting at least 200k mana during the fight.

For tank healing use FL for high incoming damage, slow DL to top off the tank. Generally use more FL than DL.
    Of course use HS on CD and LoD.

I agree. Lets say someone is at 20% health. They are still taking damage. I HS then have no procs. Lets assume all cooldowns are down. Do slow cast a spell or FoL. I hear people saying they are hardly casting it. I try not to but I still do from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehtnalav View Post
    For tank healing use FL for high incoming damage, slow DL to top off the tank. Generally use more FL than DL.
    Of course use HS on CD and LoD.
    This is wrong.

You should rarely use flash of light. In fact, I only use it on Chimaeron when a massacre is coming and i need a quick heal.

Divine Light crits for 40k+. Flash crits for 20k. For roughly the same mana cost. In most cases Divine Light can be used where people aren't going to die.
    Xentin
    Damage Control [Suramar-US]

There is one additional thing which I believe every one has missed. You have to use Crusader strike and make sure that you are constantly melee'ing something.

Using the Seal of Light, when you use crusader strike, you have a chance for Seal to proc more often and heal 4% as well as 4% mana return in addition to that your melee hit's will heal the tank somewhat. Also you using crusader strike gives you another charge of Holy power.

8 sec cd on Holy shock for one charge of Holy power + Crusader strike on a 4.2 sec CD (grants holy power). Within 8 sec's you can use two crusader strikes and one shock to gen 3 charges of HoPo for free WoG. You will see that by using crusader strike you will have more dynamic healing.

You can cast crusader strike + holy shock + divine light and throw WoG after divine light is finished casting for a BIG HEAL combo. In this time span you will also be able to get judgement off cooldown and jungement restores mana on top of seal.

This approach lets me pull over 12k hps with avg ilvl 350 without going oom (using mana regen cd's as well if necessary).

Hope it helps!

10+ Year Old Account
    Halfus can be a problem at 10man, at your level of gear I actually used Spirit flasks/food for the regen because it was so bad. Throughput isn't really an issue tbh, just make sure you're keeping an eye on both tanks and you should be cool.

What are you doing with the healing debuff btw? Do you HoP a tank to remove stacks if they get too high? Could also be an option to reduce the amount of healing needed to top the tank off.

Also in regards to FoL chat, use it as and when you need to, dont shy away from the ability. If you're not using it in oh-shit moments you will wipe, but use is sparingly
    The Old Republic - Coral - Tomb of Freedon Nadd
    - Aseko - Marauder // Akeso - Assassin -
    - Akkyvineus - Shadow // Aseka - Sentinel -
    Stream // Hybrid Sin - Dat Push! - Carnage Op - Failbang
    i7 5820k 3.6ghz | MSI X99S ACK | Potenza 16GB DDR4 | MSI GTX 980 | 512GB Crucial M2 SSD | NZXT Phantom 630 Black | 1000W Corsair RM

Thanks for the posts. I'll try a few of these tips and see what i can do.

As far as Halfus, we have him down and my healing is ok there. That fight was just a easy way for me to ask the question.

The main question was what do you do when you have no procs and HS is on cooldown and not go oom. I'll see if I can CS and make use of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well to answer your question you pray lol
    The Old Republic - Coral - Tomb of Freedon Nadd
    - Aseko - Marauder // Akeso - Assassin -
    - Akkyvineus - Shadow // Aseka - Sentinel -
    Stream // Hybrid Sin - Dat Push! - Carnage Op - Failbang
    i7 5820k 3.6ghz | MSI X99S ACK | Potenza 16GB DDR4 | MSI GTX 980 | 512GB Crucial M2 SSD | NZXT Phantom 630 Black | 1000W Corsair RM

Quote Originally Posted by umer View Post
    There is one additional thing which I believe every one has missed. You have to use Crusader strike and make sure that you are constantly melee'ing something.

Using the Seal of Light, when you use crusader strike, you have a chance for Seal to proc more often and heal 4% as well as 4% mana return in addition to that your melee hit's will heal the tank somewhat. Also you using crusader strike gives you another charge of Holy power.

8 sec cd on Holy shock for one charge of Holy power + Crusader strike on a 4.2 sec CD (grants holy power). Within 8 sec's you can use two crusader strikes and one shock to gen 3 charges of HoPo for free WoG. You will see that by using crusader strike you will have more dynamic healing.

You can cast crusader strike + holy shock + divine light and throw WoG after divine light is finished casting for a BIG HEAL combo. In this time span you will also be able to get judgement off cooldown and jungement restores mana on top of seal.

This approach lets me pull over 12k hps with avg ilvl 350 without going oom (using mana regen cd's as well if necessary).

Hope it helps!
    crusader strike is a bad idea its a waste of mana and a waste of a gcd when you can use something useful like Divine Light, using CS will lower your healing output and waste mana thats not needed to waste, WoG and LoD only does a small ammount of the healing in total so wasting a gcd for a little more holy power is a really bad idea and you shouldnt try and pass on bad information.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Merll, I think you have the gist of how to do it. But to answer your question: in between procs should be situational, if there are a lot of people that are low and don't have sufficient HoTs on them from the other healers then start using DL; if there aren't then stick with HL, in the hopes it will generate a proc for you. I agree with Xentin, don't use FoL unless you absolutely have to. And like Fiercon said, the other healers should be helping out a bit with tank healing, in fact you have a Disc priest so the tank healing should be pretty low and a lot less spiky. Perhaps your other healers are Wrath babies that ignore the tanks, you may need to discuss that with them.

I have to disagree with those talking about being melee range during an encounter. Yes, there are fights that you should be in melee (like Magmaw, P2 of Theralion etc), but in a lot of other fights you will be a liability to the raid. There are too many fights that do extra damage to melee, meaning you shouldn't add someone into that area unless you need to. Also, while we are more mobile healers than we have ever been, we are still basically a stand and cast healer, so frequent boss movement will keep you out of melee range. While the procs from SoL are very nice, they're not usually worth it. And Khaliis is completely right about using CS, GCDs are usually too valuable to waste for a single HP (if we got 3 HP from a single CS like Ret does from Zealotry, then we would probably have a real debate on using CS).

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    crusader strike is a bad idea its a waste of mana and a waste of a gcd when you can use something useful like Divine Light, using CS will lower your healing output and waste mana thats not needed to waste, WoG and LoD only does a small ammount of the healing in total so wasting a gcd for a little more holy power is a really bad idea and you shouldnt try and pass on bad information.
    Erm, when I try doing CS it grants me better mana management (due to seal proc) + the seal heals 4% of your hp and 2% is directed towards the Beacon. With one Holyshock and CS cast within 2 secs of each other and casting divine light (avg 2 sec cast) you can generate 3 charges of HoPo for WoG.

Thats just what I have experienced, ofcourse if you have better mana management then without casting CS and spamming Divine light then its a better option. Simply at ilvl 350 with avg ilvl 346 I am not able to heal through any raid encounter without casting CS whenver off cooldown. In my opinion (checked Mana gains) using CS gives me more mana in accordance with seal (+ HoPo and small heal to Beacon) is a win win.

Also Pally being a melee healer is true since Cataclysm. I have played a similar class in Age of Conan called bear shamman, this is how i felt pally healing changed since patch 4.0 went on. Sure there are fights where melee take a lot of damage, but remember you are regening HoPo at a faster rate and 30 sec CD on AoE heal and casting LoD will help other healers (remember that you also heal yourself whenever you cast a heal so healing via being melee is not a bad idea at all since CS heals your for 4% of your hp as well)
    Last edited by umer; 2011-02-23 at 07:57 PM.

In my opinion; Dont be afraid to waste some mana.
    To be around 30-50% mana is Ok as long as you know how to get more mana. You should try to keep Judgement up all CDs.

Also, don't be afraid to use Divine Light when you have to. Soft-heal with Holy Light and keep Holy Shock on CD.

I have the problem that I have to good mana regen :P So I gotta learn how to use some more mana
    I'm a kittycat

Erm, when I try doing CS it grants me better mana management (due to seal proc) + the seal heals 4% of your hp and 2% is directed towards the Beacon. With one Holyshock and CS cast within 2 secs of each other and casting divine light (avg 2 sec cast) you can generate 3 charges of HoPo for WoG.

Thats just what I have experienced, ofcourse if you have better mana management then without casting CS and spamming Divine light then its a better option. Simply at ilvl 350 with avg ilvl 346 I am not able to heal through any raid encounter without casting CS whenver off cooldown. In my opinion (checked Mana gains) using CS gives me more mana in accordance with seal (+ HoPo and small heal to Beacon) is a win win.

Also Pally being a melee healer is true since Cataclysm. I have played a similar class in Age of Conan called bear shamman, this is how i felt pally healing changed since patch 4.0 went on. Sure there are fights where melee take a lot of damage, but remember you are regening HoPo at a faster rate and 30 sec CD on AoE heal and casting LoD will help other healers (remember that you also heal yourself whenever you cast a heal so healing via being melee is not a bad idea at all since CS heals your for 4% of your hp as well)
    CS does not heal you for 4% of your health, it only has a chance to do that, it is by no means guaranteed. I have about 120K health, that means the proc from seal of light will heal me for less than 5K. Even if the heal proc'd every CS that would still be a smaller heal on me than casting a single Holy Light, which I can cast 2 in the same space of time as the CD/GCD for CS. Granted you would eventually get a WoG/LoD every 3rd CS (you are already casting HS DL-Beacon to generate HoPo, so those don't count when you are talking strictly about CS usage other than time to get another WoG/LoD), but you are missing out on the GCD+cast time of casting another HL to proc Infusion of Light etc.

I see this argument thrown around a lot. The Seal gives you 4% BASE mana back, which is between 900-1k (whereas Crusader Strike costs 2342 unglyphed). Not to mention that you only have a chance to get 4% base mana back, it's not always going to happen.

Using Crusader Strike is losing mana, not gaining. The only scenario in which it should be used is if you really need the Holy Power.
    Last edited by Shaina; 2011-02-24 at 12:57 AM.